Spam Calls

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my land line, I get many spam calls. *77 to block anonymous calls does not work. I can find my phone provider on the site but my state is not listed and NoMoRobo fails. I've been getting on my provider and keep telling them all they need to do is block all calls where the caller ID does not match the number the call is coming from.

On my land line, I get many spam calls. *77 to block anonymous calls does not work. I can find my phone provider on the site but my state is not listed and NoMoRobo fails. I've been getting on my provider and keep telling them all they need to do is block all calls where the caller ID does not match the number the call is coming from.
Not that I am likely to ever call you from China, but with a setup like that, Skype would be impossible to get through to you.

I used to use an app on my phone called Mr Number, that worked pretty well. At the time it was free and it worked well. Apparently they went to an paid version and there are more complaints about it not working as well.

I pretty much don't answer my home phone if I don't recognize the number, though that isn't foolproof as most of the spammers spoof their their number anyways.

I actually got fed up once and once I got to a human on the other end, lit into him with quite a obscene tirade. Problem was, the guy took it kind of personally and made it his mission to call my house multiple times the rest of the day to screw with me. Eventually he moved on, but it seemed to have made things worse, not better.

Does your land line phone have to be hooked up for the internet to work? When my wife and I moved to a rural area that had DSL internet service that included a landline, we ended up unplugging the phone after a couple of weeks because as soon as we plugged it in, we started getting multiple spam calls a day. Verizon wanted another $10 a month to not list your number and we stuck with using only our cell phones instead of paying. The internet worked fine without the phone plugged in.

I just switched to a VoIP phone last week. It's $25/month less than what I was paying for basic landline, plus includes free long distance, caller id, call waiting, NoMoRobo, etc. - all features I couldn't get or had to pay extra for on my landline. I was getting robocalls sometimes 4-5 times per hour, the same people would just call over and over - was driving me mad.
My next 'to do' is to build a simple uninterruptible power supply, so that my internet, APA (phone interface to the internet), and phone don't go out when the power does.

The National Do Not Call registry doesn't stop these jerks. I've had my numbers on it since I got them. I still get spam calls to talk about my car's extended warranty, etc. How can they not understand that if I hang up on them, I'm not ever going to buy from them? EVER! Their stupidity amazes me.

Anyone have a solution to stop spam calls? I get them on my cell and home phone. I have not had a non-spam call on my home phone in months. The only reason I keep it is it is required for internet.
I get them too and what I have done is always use a fake number when asked to use one when on the internet etc. When filling out an app etc. This way no one has access to your number.

Back