Source for smaller tubular nylon?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zyzzyva1000

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have been building a bunch of smaller mid power rockets with spare parts and 3D printing, and am looking for a better (cheaper) source for shock cords. I have spools of kevlar that I use for a harness, but usually just run a loop to just before the end of the body tube, and then attach a shock cord to that. Yes I could use kevlar for the whole cord, but I really like the LOC 3/16 tubular nylon. However I don't need sewn loops (I make them myself) and I would like to be able to make custom lengths (and presumably if I can find a large spool I can do it cheaper too).

Having some trouble finding the same material that LOC sells. Everything is either flat webbing, or paracord. Maybe I am just searching for the wrong term? I like the 3/16 tubular nylon because it's lightweight and packs well in smaller rockets. I have some speed rope stuff I use in larger rockets, but it gets bulky. If anyone knows where to source something similar to the LOC product, it would be much appreciated.

I use good quality elastic on all my lighter MPR rockets. 3/8 elastic would work just fine, much more forgiving also for that less than perfect deployment.

I bought a 1000 ft. roll of 550 paracord years back when I built my chute for my L3. I just tried to pull the core out of 20ft & 30 ft. pieces of the 550 and if you can get ahold of just the core, it pulls out pretty easily leaving a flat tubular nylon about 5/32" wide when flattened.

I would just look for the color and pattern I wanted and get either the paracord or the gutless paracord and pull the core if you have to. It's pretty easy to do and both types run about 10 - 12 cents a foot.

Do they have the 550 coreless / 650 paracord? That's kinda what this thread is about. You can get bigger stuff almost anywhere.
Well, I don't know about all their supply. I just use their 5/8" climbing nylon for shock cords. It's worked well for me for up to 4" HP.
I did reread the original post and the LOC 3/16 is too weak in my opinion. I had one LOC rocket with that and after a couple of flights it burned thru causing a an expensive 'recovery'. (EDIT) I upgraded it to Kevlar.

Back