3D Printing Something New . . . LW-PLA . . .

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a roll to test. The stuff could be good as long you don’t leave it in the car in the summer.

Chuck,

I'm thinking about thin, possibly hollow, high-perofrmance B/G & R/G wings with the airfoil precision-printed right in . . .

Do you have that capability ? I have tons of plans ! ( a couple of examples below )

Dave F.

Exoduslight.pngVo36967.jpg

If someone designs it, I can print it. The difficult part is the CAD end.

Catpart files are not compatible with 3d printers. I will see if there is a converter.

We got a couple guys at the RC club that have planes printed with LW-PLA. The material is lite compared to PLA. As for strength, I would say it is as strong as PLA. I have seen some of these planes take some good crashes and survive. I have the parts being printed in LW-PLA for the Model B trainer.

We got a couple guys at the RC club that have planes printed with LW-PLA. The material is lite compared to PLA. As for strength, I would say it is as strong as PLA. I have seen some of these planes take some good crashes and survive. I have the parts being printed in LW-PLA for the Model B trainer.

The problem with PLA is not strength. PLA become pliable at about 100-120 F meaning that it droops and chnages shape in your car on the way to the launch. .

The problem with PLA is not strength. PLA become pliable at about 100-120 F meaning that it droops and chnages shape in your car on the way to the launch. .
These planes are not sitting in the sun baking, so heat is not an issue.

These planes are not sitting in the sun baking, so heat is not an issue.
The sun in GA is much different than Pittsburgh. A car in GA can reach 130-180F is various areas. I have seen nose cones made with regular pla make a 45-70 degree angle. I have not tested the LW version yet.

https://3dprinterly.com/will-pla-petg-or-abs-melt-in-a-car-or-the-sun/
I have not seen much on PLA-LW’s glass transition. According to Polymaker, it is 50-60C which is well within the temps of a car south of the Mason Dixon line.

Ok. I have it a try last week. LW-PLA, PLA, PLA+, and LT-PLA-HT both warped in the Georgia heat in my car and the temps just barely made it to 96 F.

IMG_3110.jpeg

IMG_3111.jpegIMG_3109.jpeg

The attached photo is the worst, and it was Bambu Labs PLA. The others were less but similar. I had this piece on a body tube an had to break it to remove it. It slid on easily prior to the warping.

Ok. I have it a try last week. LW-PLA, PLA, PLA+, and LT-PLA-HT both warped in the Georgia heat in my car and the temps just barely made it to 96 F.
Can you elaborate how these were stored in your car? In the trunk or in the interior? I'm asking because I assume if you kept them inside the interior with the a/c on there wouldn't be warpage?

I drive a mid-sized SUV so I don't have a trunk which means I don't have to worry about overheating during transport. I have used PLA successfully for NC, fin cans and other things but I've never purposely tested their limits when it comes to heating. Obviously OH is not GA but it still gets pretty warm in the summer here and I've never had an issue with any PLA parts warping. I'm not saying PLA doesn't warp but in my particular usage I have not had any issues. It could just be how I transport and the cooler outdoor temps.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate how these were stored in your car? In the trunk or in the interior? I'm asking because I assume if you kept them inside the interior with the a/c on there wouldn't be warpage?

I drive a mid-sized SUV so I don't have a trunk which means I don't have to worry about overheating during transport. I have used PLA successfully for NC, fin cans and other things but I've never purposely tested their limits when it comes to heating. Obviously OH is not GA but it still gets pretty warm in the summer here and I've never had an issue with and PLA parts warping. I'm not saying PLA doesn't warp but in my particular usage I have not had any issues. It could just be how I transport and the cooler outdoor temps.
I am storing it in the car's cabin while I am at work. I can confirm that it reached 155F this week per a thermometer. The reason for testing like I am is because multiple folks on this forum have said "x" filament will not warp in the summer heat.

Multiple 3D printer fanatics have proven this false in their YouTube tests. I have completed testing of PLA+, PLA, and PLA Pro this week and will release the results soon. They all warped in 95F outdoor temps, which created 155F car temps.

I am not saying that it will warp in every car, but the possibility is there is temps reaching 92F+. My next group of tests will be with more engineering-grade products and PETG. I think we will see less warping with them.

I am storing it in the car's cabin while I am at work. I can confirm that it reached 155F this week per a thermometer. The reason for testing like I am is because multiple folks on this forum have said "x" filament will not warp in the summer heat.

Multiple 3D printer fanatics have proven this false in their YouTube tests. I have completed testing of PLA+, PLA, and PLA Pro this week and will release the results soon. They all warped in 95F outdoor temps, which created 155F car temps.

I am not saying that it will warp in every car, but the possibility is there is temps reaching 92F+. My next group of tests will be with more engineering-grade products and PETG. I think we will see less warping with them.
Thanks for the additional insight. PLA and PLA+ definitely warp when overheated. I don't store PLA or PLA+ parts inside a hot car just like I don't toss rockets with balsa wood fins into a pile in the back of my car. Every material has pros and cons. Understanding them is important.

I will be testing the LW-PLA and LW-PLA-HT soon. I suspect the results will be similar to PLA + on the later.

Back