3D Printing Bonding PLA+ to Cardboard Tube -What are you using ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suborbital Maniac

Reaction score
For your hybrid builds where you are bonding a printed part (PLA+ in this case but tell me about your PETG preferences as well!) what is your go-to ?
For low power, probably even model cement would do. I've never tried epoxy on PLA and usually use an acrylic solvent for plastic-plastic bonds but plastic-cardboard is new to me.

Suggestions ?

For what it's worth: I have used epoxy (BSI) with no problems so far, but my experience is not extensive.

Nowadays I design channels into the gluing surfaces of my parts to give the epoxy something to grab; dunno if it helps but I don't think it can hurt.

Depending on the type of joint/part, I typically use epoxy. I may tack in place with medium CA for some things but almost always come back and give it a decent bead of epoxy. I have several 3" rockets with PLA+ fins/CRs/retainers/etc that I have been flying hard for the past few months without issue. Time will tell. CA is much lighter than epoxy but brittle and weak against sheering forces—my $0.02.

I have had great success bonding PLA to PLA and PLA or any other 3d printer plastic to cardboard with JB Weld Plastic Bonder 2-part epoxy. A word to the wise, but it in small batches. It tends to harden if you not use it in 12-18 months.

I don't work with stringy prints, but I was thinking of that epoxy immediately.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...-estes-psii-plastic-fins.150522/#post-2466640
I'm not sure how old the three packages I just bought are, but the first one I opened was still in great shape. Hardening might be an issue after it starts to be used? Not sure.

ETA: I recently asked JB Weld and was told the maximum sustained operating temp recommendation is 250 F.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back