Social Networking?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used to use MySpace but I deleted my profile about a year or two ago. I got sick of it.

Dont use social networking pages. My wife put one together on facebook with my name and I have never even seen it. I guess this place and a few rocket sites are it for me.
Cheers
fred

I'm over 35, they don't appeal to me.

BTW, for those looking for serious employment be aware that social networking sites are often looked at. Just thought you'd like to know.

I haven't yet. So far I don't have a huge *personal* interest, but I have a friend who is a school guidance counselor at a school for missionary and expatriate children in Kenya. He uses Facebook to keep track of "his" kids as they leave school, return to the states (or other home country) and attend college.

He has me thinking that *professionally* it might be good for me to have a Facebook presence to help me connect with the younger crowd at church.

First I really need to get our webpages updated.

Wasting time and spreaing personal information on the internet.
That's OK - I waste enough time on the internet as it is. ;) And I have already spread way TMI all over TRF, YORF and a couple of Yahoo! groups, and I'm trying to cut back now. :stupido:

Mark \\.

I use facebook, but not tremendously often. I originally joined when the interns at my work last summer used it to arrange lunches and such.

Single biggest potential factor for fraud imho. These sites go in and out of fashion like flared trousers, and the next one that comes in to fashion will be one secretly run by spamming/phishing gangs. Then they'll have not only a validated email address, but your real name, your real interests, and a knowledge of your friends/family. Then all those spam mails and viruses, trojans etc. will be highly targeted and appear to come from trusted sources.

Probably the easiest service for validating email addresses on spam lists. They can pay 3rd world country citizens a pittance for creating Yahoo accounts, and adding email addresses from the list as friends. Then create Twitter/Facebook etc. accounts and use the feature to "find friends from yahoo". And hey presto, anyone with a facebook/twitter etc. account ends up on a validated email address mailing list.

Saying that I do have farcebook and linkedin accounts, but no idea why.

Wasting time and spreaing personal information on the internet.

Everytime you use your debit card, credit card, ATM, or whatever, your personal information is transmitter over the internet.

At least with facebook, you can control what information you put there. Actually, the only thing you need to put is your name and email address. What other personal information are you giving them? When asked date of birth for any site, including this forum, i always put a false date anyways.

I don't think it's the information the site requires, so much as the personal information left in messages to friends, etc which does the damage. Over a few weeks of heavy and somewhat careless use, it's not hard to find phone numbers, photos, places they've been, places they're going to be, where they work, where they live, where they got to school, what classes they're in, and whatever you can think of. Facebook may be more closed-off than Myspace and others, but it's likely that most teenagers will add any random stranger as a friend if they ask. I sound like a stalker now. :rolleyes:

As for wasting time, isn't that what this place is for? :p

Phil

I'm on both. I use the sites to stay connected with friends and family living out of state. I also use LinkedIn for professional networking, but I have found in the past that being non-business social works better for me in terms of making contacts. TRF is a perfect example of non-business networking that has offered me friendship and leads to employment opportunities.

I use my social networking sites as an extension of my current main hobby - photography. It's fun to share photos of places I've been with friends, families, and anyone passing by.

I post in 4 forums. Even though I've been here longer that the rest of the forums my post count is the lowest here.

My other forums are MechwarriorLeagues.com, WolfsFreeLancers.net and CityofHeroes.com.

I got all the socialization I need from these places.

The only social networking sites I use are "Our Planet" and "LinkedIn". I don't use either one that much. LinkedIn is useful for making connections for work occasionally and Our Planet is just a nice way to share rocket tales and have club members chat about club business - we have a normal web site for static content but all of our active content is on the Our Planet web site.

He has me thinking that *professionally* it might be good for me to have a Facebook presence to help me connect with the younger crowd at church.

First I really need to get our webpages updated.

My pastor does that to keep in touch with the youth group at my church. Pretty effective in my opinion.

I use Ourplanet and myspace...I have more 'friends' on Ourplanet than I have on myspace, but the friends I have on myspace ROCK!!

I'm pathetic...I need to get out more and meet/make more friends.

Johnnie

Okay, gents.

My wife says that Facebook is the way to go. So if you care to link up, look for me under: Troy M. Fernandes

I am totaly anti-social and don't use either one of those...:p....Not really, I DO have a myspace page but RARELY ever log in to it..I find I spend all of my 'free' time either here or YORF, that's enough 'socializing' for me, plus I just don't have the time to do anything more..And work, and eat, and sleep, and BUILD rockets...

I'm pathetic...I need to get out more and meet/make more friends.

No your not.

You only approach pathetic when all your friends are part of Warcraft! :rotflol:

You should have seen the look that I got from my wife. Our daughter (13) was asking (again) if she was allowed to have a MySpace or a Facebook page because "all of her friends have one" (despite the minimum age being supposedly 14). She has been, and continues to be, completely forbidden to enter such dark territory. When I mentioned that I was considering getting one I got a positively withering look and a "Why?" in a tone of voice that is NOT good.:D

Timing is everything and apparently mine stunk yesterday.;)

You should have seen the look that I got from my wife. Our daughter (13) was asking (again) if she was allowed to have a MySpace or a Facebook page because "all of her friends have one" (despite the minimum age being supposedly 14). She has been, and continues to be, completely forbidden to enter such dark territory. When I mentioned that I was considering getting one I got a positively withering look and a "Why?" in a tone of voice that is NOT good.:D

Timing is everything and apparently mine stunk yesterday.;)

I remember parents saying the same thing when kids starting asking to have their own telephones in their rooms.

Just tell her:

"Don't look at me with that tone of face!"

:pirate:

Jason

Back