So I fired a Thompson sub-machine gun yesterday

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Zeus-cat, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Jul 9, 2018 #21

heada

heada

heada

All revolvers are pistols but not all pistols are revolvers. Just like saying all thumbs are fingers but not all fingers are thumbs.

2. Jul 9, 2018 #22

Bat-mite

Bat-mite

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD

I've heard a good many gun purists say that pistols and revolvers and distinct. Both are handguns, but a pistol is not a revolver and a revolver is not a pistol.

3. Jul 9, 2018 #23

rfjustin

rfjustin

rfjustin

4. Jul 9, 2018 #24

rharshberger

rharshberger

rharshberger

There are a few revolving rifles out there... though to be honest they are really just modified pistols for the most part. Examples are the Tibert 12 shot, Colt, and Rossi Circuit Judge.

5. Jul 9, 2018 #25

heada

heada

heada

Pistol is the type of gun. Revolver is the action of the gun. Other options for action in a pistol would include single-shot, semi-automatic, automatic, multi-barrel, etc.

6. Jul 9, 2018 #26

heada

heada

heada

I was thinking about that as well but the only difference between them and a standard pistol is the barrel length. I even had an asterisk in my post to cover them but pulled it out as I'm not 100% sure how they're classed.

7. Jul 9, 2018 #27

Bat-mite

Bat-mite

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD

I guess it's one of those things like is Frankenstein the doctor or the monster. According to Wikipedia:

Some handgun experts and dictionaries make a technical distinction that views pistols as a subset of handguns; others use the terms interchangeably. Sometimes in usage, the term "pistol" refers to a handgun having one chamber integral with the barrel,[1][2] making pistols distinct from the other main type of handgun, the revolver, which has a revolving cylinder containing multiple chambers.[3][4] But UK/rest of Commonwealth usage does not always make this distinction, particularly when the terms are used by the military. For example, the official designation of the Webley Mk VI revolver was "Pistol, Revolver, Webley, No. 1 Mk VI".[5] In contrast to Merriam-Webster[3][4] the Oxford English Dictionary (a descriptive dictionary) describes 'pistol' as a small firearm to be used in one hand[6] and the usage of "revolver" as being a type of handgun[7] and gives its original form as "revolving pistol"[7][8]

8. Jul 9, 2018 #28

markkoelsch

markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Not to be rude, but you are incorrect. I have a single shot 22 at home.

9. Jul 9, 2018 #29

heada

heada

heada

I have a Henry single-shot .22LR as well. It's chamber is also it's magazine.

10. Jul 9, 2018 #30

Zeus-cat

Zeus-cat

Zeus-cat

My friend says he thinks it was the M1A1.

The gun range guy cocked it for all of us so I really didn't notice. The guy loaded it, cocked it, set it to single shot, flipped the safety off and set it on the counter pointing down range. All we had to do was pick it up and fire and then flip it full auto when ready.

11. Jul 10, 2018 #31

Salvage-1

Salvage-1

Salvage-1

Certified

A revolver is a wheel gun, dating back to Sam. Colt in the 1830's. It is distinctive in that it has its rounds in a wheel/cylinder in the center of the gun, as the hammer is cocked, the cylinder revolves to index the next round in line with the barrel. (available in pistol or rifle, cap and ball or self contained round (cartridge) versions... i prefer cap n ball)

"Pistol" technically refers to any hand held firearm that fires a single round at a time. Dating back to 14th century, originally basically a cut down 'hand cannon'. Think flintlock duelling pistol.
    You can cut down a double barrel shotgun to 'pistol' sized.

"Pistol - Semi Auto / Auto" refers to a firearms that uses a magazine (usually in the handgrip) to feed the rounds into the chamber. Production started around 1885 in Germany.

now to confuse things more - single action/double action
    single action - you need to cock the hammer back before each shot. Double action, pulling the trigger cocks the hammer. Sometimes you have a single action that then becomes a double action (semi/auto pistols where the 'slide', etc. recock the hammer mechanism)

Round - one single 'shot' of a firearm (cannons down to pistols)
    Cartridge - a round that contains both powder and projectile. Originally black powder and ball wrapped in nitrated paper, velum, etc. Now a metal container with primer, powder and projectile all self contained)
    Cap and Ball - a type of firearm that loads black powder and lead 'ball' either into a cylinder or direct down the muzzle. The round is then set off by an external flash device (cap) shaped into cup shape and filled with a pressure sensitive chemical, set of by being hit by the hammer (percussion cap)

Pic shows cap and ball revolver, one with cylinder removed to show rear and 'nipples' that the cap goes over. The other thing is a reproduction of an 1860's box of ammunition.
    Cylinder had to be removed to reload. Check out the end of Pale Rider for Clint using multiple pre loaded cylinders :)

peeps correct me if i screwed the description

--

edit, in the time it took me to write this (including a trip to the store), i didnt realize others had answered... doh for not reloading

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  12. Jul 12, 2018 #32

cherokeej

cherokeej

cherokeej

13. Jul 12, 2018 #33

DavidMcCann

DavidMcCann

DavidMcCann

Negative-

A magazine is an ammunition storage and feeding device within or attached to a repeating firearm. Magazines can be removable (detachable) or integral (internal/fixed) to the firearm. The magazine functions by moving the cartridges stored within it into a position where they may be loaded into the barrel chamber by the action of the firearm.

I have a Henry Single Shot shotgun. It does not have a magazine. Only a chamber.