Snark II...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great! Makes me want to finish up my Sea Tiger
View attachment 471776

I was wondering how you built the scoop. Do you have a pics of it during construction?

-Bob

-Bob

Sorry for the late reply. July has been crazy busy for me and I haven't had much time to do much more than a quick drive-by on the forum.

First of all, the Sea Tiger looks great! I really like the ramjet looking engine pod. Brave paint job too; I wouldn't be able to find that if it landed at my feet! Any more pics?

Unfortunately I didn't take any pics of the scoop construction, but it was made by molding 1/32" balsa around a mold that was carved to shape. The wood gets soaked with water or windex (the ammonia helps break down the wood fibers) and wrapped tightly around the mold and allowed to dry. When the wood dries it will have taken the shape of the mold and can then be cut and sanded to fit the tube. Filler does the rest.

I said on one of my other build threads that I was going to do a wood molding tutorial and just haven't gotten around to actually doing it. I guess it's time to saddle up and get it done...

"First of all, the Sea Tiger looks great! I really like the ramjet looking engine pod. Brave paint job too; I wouldn't be able to find that if it landed at my feet! Any more pics?"

Thanks for the compliment on the Sea Tiger. It's desert here so I think I'll be able to find it. I had some problems with the blue paint on the tail so it got put up. I'm gonna take it back down and see what's left to do for a launch. I do have one more pic.
Sea Tiger Painted.jpg

Are you familiar with the AQM-37 Jayhawk drones? I was asking about the intake on your Snark II because there was one (of any) versions that used a hybrid motor and had an intake similar to what you modelled. Is it only molded or is it also laminated with a second layer?

Edit: I just remembered that it also got put up because I need decals for it. Some stars and bars and what-not. Also needs a shark mouth but I think I will need to paint that on because of the white teeth...

Thanks,
-Bob

Back