Snark II...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mugs914

Beware of the leopard.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking to build a little scale-like 13mm rocket a little while back, so I stared routing around the parts box and found a set of balsa fins from an old Estes kit that I bought for parts (I think it was a Sequoia) and was holding one of them up to a tube, looking for ideas. I slid the fin forward a bit and it reminded me of the wing from one of those early 1950s cruise missiles like the Regulus or Snark...

(Que light bulb)

The result is kind of a combo of bits from Snark, Regulus and Mace missiles (I almost called it "Snarkulus", but that sounded like a really bad B movie). The "back story' is that it is an improved version of the SM-62 Snark missile, with a larger engine, increased range, speed and payload. Officially, it is an SM-62D Snark II, but the crews call it a Super Snark.

Anyway, it's wings are fins from the Estes Sequoia kit, sanded to fit high on the BT-20 fuselage and airfoiled. The nosecone came from a Sterling Silver kit and the tail cone was made from a spares box NC. The intake was formed from molded balsa. T-tail is basswood.

Everything was faired in with CWF and MANY rounds of primer and sanding, of which this is the last. I think the paint is going to be a variation of the classic red with white Snark livery. A final light sanding, masking, then color...

pics:
20210529_215324.jpg
20210529_215411.jpg
20210529_215521.jpg
20210529_215441.jpg
20210529_215446.jpg20210529_215504.jpg

Wow guys, thanks!

Very nice. How does the scoop effect stability and flight profile?

I'll let you know! 🤣

Actually I expect it will be minimal, especially on such a small rocket. The drag from the intake may just balance the drag from the wings and T-tail being offset on the opposite side of the fuselage.

If I'm honest my biggest concern is recovery. Getting a chute in a BT-20 airframe is a bit dodgy at best!

Wow guys, thanks!

I'll let you know! 🤣

Actually I expect it will be minimal, especially on such a small rocket. The drag from the intake may just balance the drag from the wings and T-tail being offset on the opposite side of the fuselage.

If I'm honest my biggest concern is recovery. Getting a chute in a BT-20 airframe is a bit dodgy at best!
You may do better than you think. The T-tail may make the body fall horizontal with a small chute or even a streamer. The down side (literally) is that the impact will likely be on the ventral scoop. Hope you fly on a grassy field!

I was looking to build a little scale-like 13mm rocket a little while back, so I stared routing around the parts box and found a set of balsa fins from an old Estes kit that I bought for parts (I think it was a Sequoia) and was holding one of them up to a tube, looking for ideas. I slid the fin forward a bit and it reminded me of the wing from one of those early 1950s cruise missiles like the Regulus or Snark...

(Que light bulb)

The result is kind of a combo of bits from Snark, Regulus and Mace missiles (I almost called it "Snarkulus", but that sounded like a really bad B movie). The "back story' is that it is an improved version of the SM-62 Snark missile, with a larger engine, increased range, speed and payload. Officially, it is an SM-62D Snark II, but the crews call it a Super Snark.

Anyway, it's wings are fins from the Estes Sequoia kit, sanded to fit high on the BT-20 fuselage and airfoiled. The nosecone came from a Sterling Silver kit and the tail cone was made from a spares box NC. The intake was formed from molded balsa. T-tail is basswood.

Everything was faired in with CWF and MANY rounds of primer and sanding, of which this is the last. I think the paint is going to be a variation of the classic red with white Snark livery. A final light sanding, masking, then color...

pics:
View attachment 466528
View attachment 466529
View attachment 466530
View attachment 466531
View attachment 466532View attachment 466533
WOW, she's a beaut! I'll bet that impressive, super sleek design will grab everyone's eye on the launch range.

Gonna be hard to come up with a paint scheme that does justice to those lines. That said, I am looking forward to seeing it!

Mike,

What is the vehicle that is sitting in the table? That is rather cool looking, would be even cooler if it were 4x as large and on top of a booster!

JP

Mike,

What is the vehicle that is sitting in the table? That is rather cool looking, would be even cooler if it were 4x as large and on top of a booster!

JP

Hi JP,

That is another of my crazy projects and, well, it IS on a booster. Or the booster is on it, in that pic. I kind of lost my mind adding scale details to the thing, but it has been a fun build so far!

Here is a link to the build thread, the whole story is there:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/hypersonic-glider.164662/

Now I remember why it was so familiar looking. I have read quite a bit about NASA's Hyper III and radio control models that were designed, developed and flown. Really groovy there Mike!

What a nice looking rocket - it downsize surprisingly well. I wouldn’t mind seeing Estes do downsized versions of a few of their classic designs...not everything has to be bigger to be better.

Thanks for all the kind words, guys! I was finally able to get this poor thing painted...

The scheme is kind of a combo of the real Snark and Regulus II paint jobs. Not real adventurous or original, I guess, but I think it looks pretty decent and it should be easy to find on our brown and tan launch field.

The decals all came from my spares box, but I had run out of stars and bars, so I ordered a big sheet of various sizes from Victory Models. Once decals were placed I let them dry for a few days and hit the whole thing with Testors dullcote. There is part of me that thinks I should have gloss coated this one; it wouldn't look nearly as "scale" as the matte finish, but it sure looked good while the clear matte was wet and shiny!

I might add some light panel lines and control surface outlines with a drafting pencil, but other than that I think its done. Nothing left but to fly it!

Here are a bunch of pics. Thanks for lookin'!

20210705_112358.jpg
20210705_112445.jpg
20210705_112637.jpg
20210705_113220.jpg20210705_112440.jpg
20210705_112235.jpg
20210705_112226.jpg
20210705_112525.jpg20210705_113105.jpg

Looks great! Makes me want to finish up my Sea Tiger
Half Paint.jpg

I was wondering how you built the scoop. Do you have a pics of it during construction?

-Bob

-Bob

That thing is beautiful! I'd be afraid to fly it...but of course, it HAS to fly at least once!

Looks great! Makes me want to finish up my Sea Tiger
View attachment 471776

I was wondering how you built the scoop. Do you have a pics of it during construction?

-Bob

-Bob
The intake was formed from molded balsa.

Not sure what Mugs means by “molded balsa” but I’m assuming he carved a basic shape then used filler to reach the final look. It looks you took the simpler path with a section of tube for your Sea Tiger - which looks great by the way, though I wouldn’t want to try and find it in tall weeds - those tiger stripes look too effective!😆

I’m hoping Estes designer John Boren (or anyone at Estes) sees this thread - “downscaled” versions of some of Estes designs would be fun - a rebirth of the Mini Brute line but maybe a body tube size larger?

paint Job definitely does justice to the lines!

looking forward to the flight report.

my bet, mildly squirrelly but net stable trajectory. Nice tail up recovery.

I've followed Mugs other builds and he's quite the craftsman. By moulded balsa I am pretty sure he is writing about wetting the balsa, wrapping it around a form then holding it with tape and allowing it to dry. I'm pretty sure I've read about the process in another of his build threads.

Have you seen his Nike Zeus thread?

-Bob

Back