Slow Weekends At Work Can Be Productive

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TangoJuliet

Reaction score
I work a week on, week off schedule and every other weekend I'm at work. My weekends have been painfully slow, so I thought instead of daydreaming about what I could be doing if I was off, I'd use that time to actually build models.

This past weekend I finished a Mini Fat Boy and a Goblin.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1475518368.536301.jpg

Today I received three more kits to start on my next weekend at work.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1475518422.275083.jpg

They'll all get finished to the point of paint and decals at work, then I'll take them home for final finishing. These are all kits I wanted to buy when I was much, much younger but couldn't afford them. Now I'm re-living my childhood, and having a blast!��

Last edited:
Big Bertha was my first kit ever, built with my dad. When I got back into rocketry with my own kids, I made sure it was one of the first builds. Great flyer, and love that they brought back the color scheme from my childhood on the card! I can't get away with building at work, but I do a fair bit of simming and browsing!

Last year I changed positions. Before I was balls to the wall from 0400 to 1730 every day, with a lot of stress. Now I have almost no stress at all, an upstairs corner office with limited secure access, and lots of idle time! They even installed a 65" flat screen TV on the wall with satellite TV! I try really hard not to complain :grin:.

Sounds great! The fact that you draw the line at finishing reminds me of something I did (got away with!) many years ago. I worked in a hospital lab on the 8th or 9th floor of a tower in Syracuse NY. I had no where at my apartment to paint, so I took my Mirage to the lab on a Saturday, just carried it through the lobby in two pieces. Security didn't say a peep, and I was in my fume hood spraying away as happy as a clam in a matter of minutes. I did put up newspaper, and my medical director and I frequently did some odd ball stuff, so I was confident I was fine. This was just before 9/11; I'm pretty sure one couldn't walk into a hospital with a rocket and not be questioned now!

Heck, you probably can't even walk in with a can of spray paint in NYC and not get questioned!

There's no way I'd even try to paint them here at work.

Back