Short fat rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is not my rocket but I have one that is unpainted so I'm putting up a picture of someone else's who did a great job on their PML MR-1 rocket
TAFznRG.jpg

Micro magg and Nano magg. The micro magg I still have after six launches. The Nano magg went into outer space on its first launch.

Attachments

• 45907C02-72FE-49E0-8E49-1B2A8CD11104.jpeg
    45907C02-72FE-49E0-8E49-1B2A8CD11104.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 11
  • FCFA34FE-405D-4F2E-A822-40E30D42C724.jpeg
    FCFA34FE-405D-4F2E-A822-40E30D42C724.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 13
Just think by today's standard the classic song Fat Bottom Girls make the rocken world go around would not be aloud on the air. What has the world come to.
♪ Fat bottom birds
♪ they make the rocket world go 'round. ♫

Anyway, mines a plain old Big Daddy, with a 29 mm conversion, because it's what I did my L1 flight on. And I lost it at my last launch. :(

IMG_4352.jpg
Estes MDRM converted to Army duty.

IMG_0014.jpg
Lifting off on another mission. Next flight will include real army men (plastic paratroopers) to take on the bad guys.

I tried this variation of a Bullet Bill (probably totally naïve and was unsuccessful but still a fun experiment)...

Not sure if it was actually stable (it was stable on a swing test) but arched due to imperfect construction or windcocking (and then crashed due to incredibly heavy nose) or if it was inherently unstable (I think you can maybe see it wiggle and stabilize a number of times). If it was stable but has a tendency to arc, I could maybe spin it to make it corkscrew up into the sky. If it was unstable then no helping it. I made a revised version with only 2 fins on front and some canted fin tabs inside the ring tail to try to make it spin. Have not wanted to waste another D engine on it though so have not launched again.

1628810566654.png 1628810605728.png 1628810634907.png 1628810681802.png

Here is the one and only launch:

I tried this variation of a Bullet Bill (probably totally naïve and was unsuccessful but still a fun experiment)...

Not sure if it was actually stable (it was stable on a swing test) but arched due to imperfect construction or windcocking (and then crashed due to incredibly heavy nose) or if it was inherently unstable (I think you can maybe see it wiggle and stabilize a number of times). If it was stable but has a tendency to arc, I could maybe spin it to make it corkscrew up into the sky. If it was unstable then no helping it. I made a revised version with only 2 fins on front and some canted fin tabs inside the ring tail to try to make it spin. Have not wanted to waste another D engine on it though so have not launched again.

View attachment 477155 View attachment 477156 View attachment 477157 View attachment 477158

Here is the one and only launch:

Add a 12” tube and NC with some weight. I’d say sim it but good luck with that. 😊

Public Enemy went out of business years ago. I have a couple of their 4" V2s and an Honest John. Wish I had bought their Fatboy too. They used a unique shock cord, kind of like those cords you use to hold stuff down, with the hooks on the ends. The shock cord didn't have the hooks, just the fabric covered rubber stretchy cords. It's been over 20 years since I bought mine, so I've changed out the cords for tubular nylon.,

Last edited:
Back