Sheri's Hot Rockets New Release 1/24 Gemini-titan

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No matter what those on dial up think - those are awesome pics :)

Originally posted by sheri
Thanks, Ive used this method before and I like it because its clean and doesn't need any slots in the tube.

Is that the resin capsule on top, or the 1/24 Plastic Scale kit? I ask, because I was holding two (1 in bag, other in box) for a 4" model. So should I just go with your resin, or place the plastic kits on top?

V'Ger

The placement of those clear fins looks far more superior and
should certainly assist in the stability of the model during flight.
Dang, Sheri, you need to go to work for an aerospace firm or
NASA; you'd make an excellent spokesperson as well as an
engineer!!

Hey! I think I can see the rattlesnake that scared me back in '89 in that picture!:eek:

Originally posted by V'ger
Is that the resin capsule on top, or the 1/24 Plastic Scale kit? I ask, because I was holding two (1 in bag, other in box) for a 4" model. So should I just go with your resin, or place the plastic kits on top?

V'Ger

Either way but the resin helps out with keeping the CG forward enough, if you went with the plastic one you would have to add some nose weight.

Originally posted by dwmzmm
The placement of those clear fins looks far more superior and
should certainly assist in the stability of the model during flight.
Dang, Sheri, you need to go to work for an aerospace firm or
NASA; you'd make an excellent spokesperson as well as an
engineer!!

If only I had my life to live over again I would love it!!

Originally posted by rokitflite
Hey! I think I can see the rattlesnake that scared me back in '89 in that picture!:eek:

Hey dont think I dont wonder about them as I go running through the desert to catch these things!!! There is a huge mesquite tree about 100 yards to the right in this pic and it has caught 2 of my rockets, the only tree around for a mile at least!

And to think I was in Phoenix last week, and I didn't pop in for a visit...

That is some STUNNING craftsmanship.

Hey Sheri

Beautiful Gemini Titan. I am building the Estes 1/73 scale Gemini now. On the card it shows a band just above the top of the Titan missile where the Gemini capsule begins, but in the painting insturctions it does not mention the band or the color. I see that yours has the band. Could you tell me what color you used?

Thanks

Stuart

This has got to be the best Titan II model rocket that I have ever seen. I used to work on the Titan II ICBM back in the early 80's (if there any other Titan vets out there, I was a BMAT in the 373SMS), so I can tell everyone that the engine bells, turbo pump assemblies and struts on Sheri's model are very good.

I was planing on building a clone of the old Estes K-21 Gemini Titan II. As soon as I can convince my wife to let me spend more than $100 on a model rocket, I am going to have to get one of these.

Sheri... I hope that you have these available a few year from now.

Sheri, I can't tell you how much I love your vehicles, and how impressed I am with each new addition...I want all of them!!!! Alas, I just don't have that kind of dough as a college student...

Originally posted by marvSRG
Sheri, I can't tell you how much I love your vehicles, and how impressed I am with each new addition...I want all of them!!!! Alas, I just don't have that kind of dough as a college student...

Two words... Student loan!:D ;)

Originally posted by rokitflite
Two words... Student loan!:D ;)

Ha! Hey, you might be onto something, rokitflite! Hmm, let me see what kind of scheme I can think of....

Ok, Sheri, if you come out with either a Mercury Redstone or Mercury Atlas next, could you cut me a good deal if I bought that, the Gemini-Titan, and the Saturn V, built them all, and agreed to fly them all on the same day at Tripoli South Carolina's SCIPower or Freedom launch next summer? Even better, I'll use them to re-cert since I'm taking a break from building until next summer and letting my certs lapse....I'll beef up the Saturn to take a 75mm and use each of the rockets for Level 1, 2, and 3 all in one day.

C'mon! You can sponsor the whole thing and maybe even use it as an excuse to take a trip to one of the east coast's biggest launches! I'm not playing around....I'll really do this!!!!!! Seriously, Sheri, send me a PM and let me know what you think...we can certainly make adjustments, but I want to build your kits so bad that I would be more than willing to do this, or something like it......

I have one weird question...

Is there any long term problem with the corrosive nature of AP exhaust and the inside of those nozzles? I believe one of the components of AP combustion is nitric acid which can play hob with certain Al alloys.

a

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
I have one weird question...

Is there any long term problem with the corrosive nature of AP exhaust and the inside of those nozzles? I believe one of the components of AP combustion is nitric acid which can play hob with certain Al alloys.

a

Aren't the RMS casings aluminum? I would think that cleaning the nozzles after each flight would solve the problem.:confused:

There is a liner inside the RMS case and I know I personally clean the nasty beast the moment I get home. Cases are also anodized which provides some level of additional chemical resistance.

I suppose if you wipe them out with something that neutralized the surface as soon as you pick it up that nice shiny finish will last a bit longer.

I think I would prefer a way to remove those nice machinings prior to flight.

Originally posted by marvSRG
Ha! Hey, you might be onto something, rokitflite! Hmm, let me see what kind of scheme I can think of....snip

No scheming necessary at all.
At least with the Federal Direct Loans you get upto a certain amount per year, paid in two chunks, one for each semester.
Right?
Don't know what the amount is now, but used to be $5,500.
You can have the checks go to the school and they will refund any unused for the semester to you.
OR you can have the check sent to you and you have to pay the school from that.
As long as you are actually enrolled in school, you can use the check however you see fit.
Even if you can afford to pay tuition and stuff out of pocket, you can still get the loan for living expenses and such.
Since you are a serious student that has NO time for work and very little time for recreation (which is a very important break from stress) you have no money for your main "get you brain off serious stuff" hobby, rocketry.
You need the money for that.
Perfectly legit.
And fairly low interest.
:D
Just make sure you pay them back when the time comes.
They are the federal government after all; they know where you live.

The RMS cases (and Dr.Rocket, AMW and several others) are anodized. The look on these nozzles are that they are not (but I could be wrong) If they aren't anodized, I would think that if you are not VERY careful about removing all residue, you will start to get pock marks on the nozzles.

If you could somehow coat them in something like a spray on teflon, then cleaning would be easier and they'd be protected from the residue.

... or...

buy a few sets from Sheri so that she can purchase more time on the lathe so she can afford to make more kits.

-Aaron (The proud owner of one of Sheri's Saturn Vs)

Also

I would make way sure that rocket lifts off on a smooth ride as if it sat on the pad and those nozzles tried to constrain the exhaust flame, I would give even money they would melt.

Note: This is in no way meant to detract from what is a gorgeous scale model. Just some technical notes. When Sheri finally get's round to a Nike Hercules I will be first in line.

Originally posted by flygrimm
Hey Sheri

Beautiful Gemini Titan. I am building the Estes 1/73 scale Gemini now. On the card it shows a band just above the top of the Titan missile where the Gemini capsule begins, but in the painting insturctions it does not mention the band or the color. I see that yours has the band. Could you tell me what color you used?

Thanks

Stuart

Stuart,

I used light Tan from testors, it was a brush on type in a small bottle.
Sheri:D

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
Also

I would make way sure that rocket lifts off on a smooth ride as if it sat on the pad and those nozzles tried to constrain the exhaust flame, I would give even money they would melt.

Note: This is in no way meant to detract from what is a gorgeous scale model. Just some technical notes. When Sheri finally get's round to a Nike Hercules I will be first in line.

Nozzles do fine after launching no warping .melting, pitting, just a little residue that wipes right off!!

Hard anodize in black (as opposed to a dark drab green) might look pretty spiffy and give alot of protection. Plating shops can do a Teflon impregnation as well. The only draw back is that most platers charge a minimum lot charge. My plater of choice (Reid Metal Finishing) is about $80 min per process. So, $40 a nozzle is a bit spendy. Unless Sheri is making lots and lots of kits, the price to include hard ano is pretty steep.

Sheri, if you need another machine shop for parts, send me a PM. The shop I use for my business does great work at a resonable price. I even con the supervisor into making me small rocket parts for my stuff "off the books".

Ken Brown

Waiting for the shuttle and saving my change.

Originally posted by DeWain
This has got to be the best Titan II model rocket that I have ever seen. I used to work on the Titan II ICBM back in the early 80's (if there any other Titan vets out there, I was a BMAT in the 373SMS), so I can tell everyone that the engine bells, turbo pump assemblies and struts on Sheri's model are very good.

I was planing on building a clone of the old Estes K-21 Gemini Titan II. As soon as I can convince my wife to let me spend more than $100 on a model rocket, I am going to have to get one of these.

Sheri... I hope that you have these available a few year from now.

Thanks Dewain, that quit a compliment coming from you with your background!!! :D

I've had requests for a pic of the kit contents, here you go!! The fasteners/hardware package isnt pictured but includes everything you need!!
DSCF4458.JPG

Outstanding!

Not knowing how the ATF stuff will turn out, it's nice to have the option for some very interesting and complicated scale kits that'll fly on G power. I hope you stay in business for a long time...at least long enough for me to afford all of these!

You seem to be using a lot of the RealSpace kits as a jumping-off point. Don't suppose you've got plans for the Atomic City 1/12th scale Mercury do you? I just started on one last weekend and it'd be nice to know if I need to make it strong enough to handle a Redstone underneath...:cool:

Thanks Chilly!

This is an all inclusive kit with the caspule, etc..the real space kit mentioned is just if someone wants to add the real space Gemini Capsule Detail kit which adds some additional capsule and adapter section details if desired!!!

I am still waiting to build my 1/12 mercury Capsule also!! I would probably do an Atlas Booster first then maybe a redstone. I am thinking of a 3 engine cluster with nozzles similar to this one. If I can get it light enough. Time will tell I guess!!!

Sheri

Originally posted by sheri
Thanks Chilly!

This is an all inclusive kit with the caspule, etc..the real space kit mentioned is just if someone wants to add the real space Gemini Capsule Detail kit which adds some additional capsule and adapter section details if desired!!!

I am still waiting to build my 1/12 mercury Capsule also!! I would probably do an Atlas Booster first then maybe a redstone. I am thinking of a 3 engine cluster with nozzles similar to this one. If I can get it light enough. Time will tell I guess!!!

Sheri

Didn't I guess earlier you'd shoot for a Mercury Atlas?!:)

Well I must say I'm building the Estes Mercury Atlas right now and I think that'll be impressive enough but I can only imagine how awesome a huge one from Sheri's workshop would be, especially a cluster with all 3 motors firing! I also have to add that the GT2 is unbelievable, Sheri! Would that Fly on two F engines also or would that not be enough power? It seems if it'll hit 600 ft on G's, that you might be able to do it but I don't know if anyone has tested that.

Glenn

Latest posts

Back