September Rocket Competition!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicagonative17

Reaction score
This is the official location of the NEW TRF Best Rocket Competition. This is a monthly event to show off your "stuff" and find out who has THE BEST ROCKET OF THE MONTH! When entering, make sure you follow the criteria listed below and you will do fine. From the 21st until the end of the month will be polling to see who should win the Best Paint Competition. If you so happen to win, Bohica has offered to supply a free rocketry component or kit!

This months competition is: ANYTHING!

1. Header of picture must include, name, what kit or was it custom, LPR, MPR or HPR.
2. A BRIEF discription of rocket details. Anything that would make it apparent to somebody that yours is THE BEST.
3. Only ONE entry per month.
4. No extended off topic conversations.
5. Rockets made at any period of time may be used.
6. Can only have a rocket in competition ONE time.
7. If there is a monthly specified type of contest (such as red, white and blue themed), you can only enter rockets that are applicable.
8. Entries will be taken first 3 weeks of month and after the 21st of everymonth the contest closes.
9. The last week of the month will be polling on who should win in each class.
10. Winners get bragging rights for a month!

Good luck to you all... AND HAVE FUN!

I will change to an unlimited competition in an effort to get more people in the contest.

FREE PRIZE FROM BOHICA!!!

I will change to an unlimited competition in an effort to get more people in the contest.

FREE PRIZE FROM BOHICA!!!

Does that mean we can enter anything? Sorry for not doing anything in the past. I totally forgot about the first one and didn't have a rocket for your last contest. This one I can do though, just let me pick something good.

I nominate Bohica's own new Rocket the yet to be named ring-tail.

Yes I know winning his own prize would be silly but that's a really neat design.

I also nominate Smashburn's DragonShip as the most awesome rocket I've seen in person.

Ian,

Keep up the hard work in keeping this idea alive. I'll throw my hat in the ring on this one.

Rocket: "Brute Force"
Model: Q-Modeling Mega Viper

This is my first MPR. As the name implies, there's not a lot of extras put into this bird beyond the paint and decal job. The frame decals are all custom based on some motorcycle art I found on line printed onto bumper sticker material from OfficeMax.

She's flown 6 times on F21-4ws and recently on an E15-4W and most flights have been great.

Marc Mitchell

Brute Force under flame - small.jpeg

Scratch built 32% Black Brant IIB
Aerotech K560 first launch, recovery by redundant flight computers (ARTS and RRCX)
All marking hand cut monokote. Way too much masking for the roll pattern. First launch in over nine years.

Photo 1a.jpg Photo 2a.jpg Photo 3 a.jpg

Lawrence

I'll throw my 220% upscaled Centuri Nomad in the ring. A rather mundane entry into what is otherwise an "unlimited" category....

BT70 based upscale (2.2" diameter) of a 1" Centuri semi-scale rocket. 3x24mm motor mount, designed to fly on a cluster of 3 x E9-8 Estes engines. Got around 2200' AGL on that combo.

Phred at Excelsior Rocketry gets the Kudos for upscaling the decals into sa-WEET waterslides - I added the chrome strips to keep with the plan.

What a wonderful flyer. This rocket gets the best looks every time I bust it out. Wonderful.

Here's a link to the thread of revelation:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=21590&highlight=sls+nomad

I nominate Bohica's own new Rocket the yet to be named ring-tail.

That's very cool of you to nominate the ??? but that would almost be like advertising in a contest...That just seems weird to me. So...I have another entry (by another manufacturer) all planned out...stay tuned!:D

I nominate this. It's been kinda popular at launches. I guess.

Rocketry005.jpg

Thread https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=33240

John

Are you kidding, that thing is KILLER! You should show more information about it in this post. The thread shows a lot of info but its a long thread.

You are all going to think I am crazy, but those that know I do trash rockets will know this is the normal for me. I learned building rockets on my own without any kits. I was at a garage sale and saw a bulk pack of A engines selling for 5 dollars. All I knew was it said rocket engines and the fact that I wanted them. I would start lighting them off in the street, then I would put them in things, then I would eventually perfect "the rocket" without ever even seeing a rocket kit before. My first well functional rocket was made at age 9 and all of them were made of trash and stuff I found in my house.

Long story short... I still build trash rockets because they are fun and ultimately free except for the engines and hot glue (yes i know, but its cheap).

My entree this month is of an "E" engine powered trash rocket car. The car is made entirely out stuff I found lieing around or in the garbage. The wheels are lego wheels, everything else is cardboard tubing or paperclips. The front and rear fins are canted for downforce and the pods you see are for both style and to help with ejection forces (estes E motors have ejection). The parachute is made of a trash bag and the parachute holder is just 2X4 with cardboard and plastic knives. The car is guided by 1000 ft. of mason string. There is a paperclip hook on the upper fin of the car that catches the string that pulls out the parachute.

This car is fully functional and has worked flawlessly twice so far. I have also built an A powered one and a C powered one. The only media I have them is of the C powered one and its on a tape recorded video recorder.

PO20070904_0000.jpg

PO20070904_0001.jpg

PO20070904_0002.jpg

PO20070904_0003.jpg

Thanks for the compliments Chicagonative17.

The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch is based on a squeeze toy novelty based on the rabbit elimination device from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

It's about 10" tall and essentially a handcarved pink styrofoam ball painted and accesorized with craft foam bands and rivets topped off with a balsa cross nosecone. It has a BT60 tube with a 24mm mount and kevlar shockcord with a 12" parachute. The fins are polycarbonate. It's been flown on D12-3's and an E24-4T reload.

It's been flown at some WOOSH launches, NARAM 49, and the 2007 Eat Cheese or Fly.

At the ECOF, Eric VanDommelen (aka EchoVictor) did a rousing rendition of the passage from the Movie where Brother Maynard consults the Book of Armaments.

Here's a pic from the field testing.

Rocketry006.jpg

Alright here is my entry. It's a flying carrot odd-roc. So far the carrot has flown once on a C6-5 for a perfect flight.
DSCN0227.jpg

DSC_4581.jpg

Here is my submission to the September contest.

1: It is LPR..lol..
2: Der Red Max...well, it's a Der Red Max! :) Been complimented that it is the best finish I have put on any of my rockets to date..Let's hope you all think so too :) I painted it in Candy Apple Red..Was kind of a long process to accomplish this color as the Candy Apple Red is a Testors rattle can paint and Testors paints in my limited(so far) experience does NOT like going over any other type of primer OR paint without bad things happening..So, Testors Gray Primer, 2 light coats of Testors Silver then 3 light coats of the Candy Apple Red..I really like the way the red has that deep look to it :)

Here he is:
DerRedMax012sm.jpg

And the linky to the bigger version picture:
https://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t21/Pantherjon/DerRedMax012.jpg

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/sandmantoy/DSCF0615.jpg

This is my 1/6th scale Black Brant II. It is from Red Arrow Hobbies. The paint was done by Tim Natividad. It is scheduled to be flown in November at Sterling, Connecticut.

Stats on the Black Brant II:

51" tall
2.6" in diameter
38mm motor mount
approximately 2 pounds 1 oz. empty
through the wall plywood fins
foam urethane nosecone and tail cone
motor retention (supplied by Red Arrow Hobbies)

Instead of using the supplied 6 foot elastic shock cord, I am using a 15 foot tubular nylon shock cord from Quickburst.

Been looking at this but thought "okay, now or never!"
So I will enter the competition too with my IRIS. This is a scratch build rocket with reworked decals and mid split recovery. Fins have the right looks to them as they are not surface mounted on the BT but sits on little "shoes".
Length is 111,7cm, based on BT70. With a 24mm MMT she will fly on E's and F's.

Build thread here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=36914

And a picture of her on the pad just before she flew for the first time.

IRIS on the pad.jpg

Here is my entry. It is a modified Slurpee cup, uses a D12-3, launch rod passes through the cup and uses the original straw. The dome lid features a foam brain and is finished off with a ringtail.

It has flown a couple of times and has reached over 500ft.

There is a very short video on my homepage if interested.

Good luck to us all.

brainfreeze_800x600.jpg

I'll enter my Semroc Saturn 1B. The build was completely stock. 4x18mm cluster version; built-up paper & balsa fins; dowels hand-sanded to proper diameter, attitude jets shaped with a high tech pencil sharpener, silver LEM to match original Estes catalog picture. Whew, that was the most complicated build and paint masking ever for me. Launched this June for the first time, launch pics by fellow club member David Seer. I'm the geek in the packers cap.

Saturn1B-Decals02.jpg

View attachment Saturn1B-Capsule04-lo.JPG

Saturn1B-Launch-01-DSeer-lo.jpg

Saturn1B-Launch-03-DSeer-lo.jpg

Saturn1B-Launch-05-DSeer.jpg

This months competition is: ANYTHING!

1. Header of picture must include, name, what kit or was it custom, LPR, MPR or HPR.
2. A BRIEF discription of rocket details. Anything that would make it apparent to somebody that yours is THE BEST.

Hi, this was my latest project .. what a blast!

DragonShip 7 (7x upscale)
Scratch built - sona tube
HPR
Rocket is 12" dia, 10' long, and 100 lbs
Flew at Freedom Launch on an AMW M2200 Skidmark to 1500'
Chutes deployed from cockpit and it descended horizontally

Steve Mashburn
smashrocketry.com

DragonShip1.jpg

DragonShip2.jpg

Hi, this was my latest project .. what a blast!

DragonShip 7 (7x upscale)
Scratch built - sona tube
HPR
Rocket is 12" dia, 10' long, and 100 lbs
Flew at Freedom Launch on an AMW M2200 Skidmark to 1500'
Chutes deployed from cockpit and it descended horizontally

Steve Mashburn
smashrocketry.com

OH MAN!
That is about the coolest upscale rocket I have ever seen!
You have my vote.

:pirate:

Heres my modest entry:

Name: Danny
Class: HPR

This is a modified LOC Vulcanite. The fins got some 'glass, a GLR tailcone was added, and I swapped the shockcord for 15ft of Kevlar. There were also internal fillets and a foamed fincan. I am pretty pleased with how the paint came out. Painted Saab colors:)
/Users/joey/Desktop/IMG_2444.JPG

Back