Self Defense

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What ever happened to "no politics" ?

Could you be more specific? I have re-read the entire thread and fail to see any post (including my own) that should be deemed "political".

Careful.

I haven't gathered stats from non-biased sources so I dont have any to give. But the following reflects my frustration with this sort of thing.

"Once we understand these facts, and do not cling to bizarre xenophobic views about how everyone outside the "developed" world is too dysfunctional and/or subhuman (although few gun control advocates would ever admit to the thought) to bear comparison to the US, we immediately see that the mantra "worst in the developed world" offers an immensely skewed, unrealistic, and even bigoted view of the world and how countries compare to each other."

Source: https://mises.org/blog/mistake-only-comparing-us-murder-rates-developed-countries

See, this was exactly what I was hoping for with my post. Actual thought beyond NRA talking points and the knee jerk 'ban them' response from the left.

Having read the article, the premise is that the gun murder rate in the US isn't actually that bad - with which I agree.

As my highly seasoned state police officer - and my firearm instructor says - "there is a great deal of time that passes between what happened and when we get there...we get there to clean up the mess.... now hammer drills...step up to the target Adams!...make ready.."

He is kind enough to give us Cliff notes on shooting incident police reports first hand, outside the bias of media so we can make our own determination.

That said, as I tell my family "likely we will never have to even pull our weapon and I hope that is the case, but my family is MY responsibility and I prefer to have a fighting chance".

Most people here take safety seriously , while armed and /or not armed and in the home. So teaching your kids / family is a must. It comes with a HUGE responsibility and I completely understand that not all should or care to have a firearm as a means of protection, whatever means to protect yourself, hope that works for you. In our country I'm glad we can still make the choice

Rocket launch...not a soft target.

I live in a safe neighborhood and have a near 0 risk of needing a gun around the home. I provide security at a place I volunteer which is in one of the highest crime areas around. Pretty unable to do that without a CCP.

One of my earliest memories is walking up a mountain trail behind my mother on our way to an old mine. On her hip was her .357. She had previously used a gun in self defense against a brown bear. All the men around carried as well - for the same reason.

Being that way and being raised that way guns are never unfamiliar nor cartoonish to me. I am struck by the number of people who express how they might behave if they had a gun as a cartoon:
"I would probably shoot someone for (way less than justified reasons)"
"I would probably mistake my family member as a threat and shoot them"

Both of these cartoons are possible indications of character flaw in the speakers, and support their choice not to arm.
Both of these cartoons get projected onto folks who have accepted the role of tools in self defense, and that is generally slander.

My advise to all because I care, whether they arm or not, is to not sully yourself by speaking these kinds of cartoons.

I live in a safe neighborhood and have a near 0 risk of needing a gun around the home. I provide security at a place I volunteer which is in one of the highest crime areas around. Pretty unable to do that without a CCP.

One of my earliest memories is walking up a mountain trail behind my mother on our way to an old mine. On her hip was her .357. She had previously used a gun in self defense against a brown bear. All the men around carried as well - for the same reason.

Being that way and being raised that way guns are never unfamiliar nor cartoonish to me. I am struck by the number of people who express how they might behave if they had a gun as a cartoon:
"I would probably shoot someone for (way less than justified reasons)"
"I would probably mistake my family member as a threat and shoot them"

Both of these cartoons are possible indications of character flaw in the speakers, and support their choice not to arm.
Both of these cartoons get projected onto folks who have accepted the role of tools in self defense, and that is generally slander.

My advise to all because I care, whether they arm or not, is to not sully yourself by speaking these kinds of cartoons.

+1.
We have way too many examples of braggadocio, macho swaggering, and chest puffing by people who try to impress others with how tough or how ready for some perceived apocalypse they are. True preparedness doesn't need to brag, show off, or imply readiness.

Personally, I wouldn't trust ANYONE I would see packing. How the hell do I know they aren't the enemy?

A lot of people can't live without air conditioning. All these Southern cities had no real population until Carrier invented air conditioning.

Do what you have to...if not packing, hide and get ready for the shooter to reload and all attack. Alternatively, get into a car and mow the sucker down. Spear him with a launch rod or throw rocks if you have to (I regularly practice throwing rocks at trees every time I go hiking - laugh if you will and then please volunteer to be my target ;)).

Also note that cars are quite deadly...I believe we're all much more likely to die in an auto accident than anything else. Be careful out there!

Finally never say never (ex. Katrina & LA riots)...as rocketry practitioners, we should always be thinking of WCGW (What Can Go Wrong) and WCS (Worst Case Scenario). Keep safe!

I should throw in these other little tidbits which can help in other situations as well to help you live a longer life (maybe)

• Keep fit. You know you should.
  • Always carry around a Sharpie or sturdy pen in your pocket. Very useful for filling out flight cards or marking solo cups, but also useful in self-defense situations to stab or pound into soft points. Also it's allowed carry in every state last I checked.
  • Try to learn at least one good move self-defense move and keep at it. Always nice to have something in the back pocket in case of emergency (if not a gun :wink:).

Convienence store business here. Daily bank runs, customers 3' away, open/close store in dark.
A Glock on my hip is a great deterrent, word travels fast, lots of range time, weekly.
Most of the time you see nothing, concealed and completely ready to go, without fail.
If you see one on my hip, I have two. Most of the employees are carrying too.
Law enforcement officers, many times, only practice shoot once or twice a year, scary $hit there. BTW, they mostly train shooting targets 3' away, average, where the danger is.

Finally, especially for all the liberal, bleeding hearts out there: You don't have to like guns, this is America, it's your right. You don't have to believe in a diety, this is America, it's your right.

But remember this, if the $hit goes down at your home, in town or your work place, you will most certainly call someone with a gun and pray to God they get there in time to save your a$$.
Jamey #5295

Last edited:
Do what you have to...if not packing, hide and get ready for the shooter to reload and all attack. Alternatively, get into a car and mow the sucker down. Spear him with a launch rod or throw rocks if you have to (I regularly practice throwing rocks at trees every time I go hiking - laugh if you will and then please volunteer to be my target ;)).

Also note that cars are quite deadly...I believe we're all much more likely to die in an auto accident than anything else. Be careful out there!

Finally never say never (ex. Katrina & LA riots)...as rocketry practitioners, we should always be thinking of WCGW (What Can Go Wrong) and WCS (Worst Case Scenario). Keep safe!

Well, I wouldn't be able to defend myself with a car at either of my clubs, because the speed limit on both farms is 5 MPH. I think the shooter could just step out of the way.

Well, I wouldn't be able to defend myself with a car at either of my clubs, because the speed limit on both farms is 5 MPH. I think the shooter could just step out of the way.

Maybe we need fully autonomous, tactical tracking pads. Keep one nice sized rocket loaded and ready to go at all times.

I'll give a sincere answer from "the other side".

I will probably die in a hail of gunfire. However, I will not spend every day between this one and that incredibly unlikely day (were it be at a rocket launch, restaurant, school, church, etc.) worried about such things. Just as I don't spend every day worrying that I will be killed in a car accident...which being I commute 50 miles a day in DFW is almost certainly a far higher likelihood event.

+1... oh, and I know that other fellas I launch with carry... so, I'll hide behind them. Maybe drop a load in my pants, but I can always buy new pants.

Ummmmmm, Surely you didn't give that much thought or spoke in jest. In a difficult situation, one shouldn't follow no freak'in speed limits. Either to get the heck out or mow the jerk down if you feel like being a hero.
There was a recent video in the last year of an officer who did just that of some jerk walking around with a rifle. Officer couldn't fire for fear a miss would stray off dangerously in the residential area so mowed the guy down
with the squad car. I believe he receive a commendation instead of a reprimand. Kurt

+1... oh, and I know that other fellas I launch with carry... so, I'll hide behind them. Maybe drop a load in my pants, but I can always buy new pants.

You should be a real hit with the medical examiner! :wink:

I know most these car comments in jest but Here in Indiana it is a felony to use your car as a weapon regardless of life in danger or any situation. Of course I prefer to be living to fight that versus 6' under.

I know most these car comments in jest but Here in Indiana it is a felony to use your car as a weapon regardless of life in danger or any situation. Of course I prefer to be living to fight that versus 6' under.
And in Washington DC it is a crime to use any firearm in self defense:eyepop:e, even to defend your life:mad:

Quick disclaimer... if my wife agreed, I'd probably have a collection of guns by now. A rocket buddy gave me my first clip to shoot just this past November and I enjoyed the heck out of it.
Second disclaimer... the language in the links below is NSFW and probably NSFK... but that being said, it's funny as heck. Watch both parts all the way though...
Part 1: https://youtu.be/0rR9IaXH1M0
Part 2: https://youtu.be/a9UFyNy-rw4

Preface: I am an NRA Instructor and a Illinois CCL instructor.

My first thought was is your launch sight is a Gun Free Zone, You
are making the likelihood higher that you might have an active shooter
incident. But that likelihood is still small. Chances are I will not
attend a gun free launch. I also avoid as many gun-free businesses
as I can. My choice to spend my dollars where I want to.

I compiled some data on firearm ownership vs. homicide rates. It is
an excel file if anyone is interested in it I would be happy to email it
to you.

Last comment since 1991 the homicide rate has been cut almost in
half. So what has caused that? Police budgets are down (adjusted
for inflation) but concealed carry is way up. Even Illinois has CC
now these days. I wonder if it is down because criminals don't like
armed victims?

Cheers!

Preface:
Last comment since 1991 the homicide rate has been cut almost in
half. So what has caused that? Police budgets are down (adjusted
for inflation) but concealed carry is way up. Even Illinois has CC
now these days. I wonder if it is down because criminals don't like
armed victims? Cheers!

When Florida passed it's concealed carry law back in the early 90s, the crime against tourists went up! This happened because the thugs were afraid to randomly pick their victims, because they might pick an armed Floridian! But rent cars in FLA had a sticker on the plates to denote it as being a rent car. The odds for the thugs were better when the picked a victim driving a rent car because 90% of rent cars were being driven by unarmed tourists! That stat has probably gone down since FLA honors out of state permits.

Last edited:
So............
Rockets are cool.
I like rockets.
I never feel a need to defend myself against armed people.
I've faced down Cthulhu. He's frightening. Had to give him my soul in order to walk away.
Once you sacrifice your soul to Cthulhu, you're pretty well screwed no matter what happens. Active shooters or no active shooters...
PS, I'll be building a rocket named Cthulhu. Eventually. When The Old Ones deem it time to begin, I will begin.

So............
Rockets are cool.
I like rockets.
I never feel a need to defend myself against armed people.
I've faced down Cthulhu. He's frightening. Had to give him my soul in order to walk away.
Once you sacrifice your soul to Cthulhu, you're pretty well screwed no matter what happens. Active shooters or no active shooters...
PS, I'll be building a rocket named Cthulhu. Eventually. When The Old Ones deem it time to begin, I will begin.

I'm already on his bad side for calling him "Cute a Lu."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back