Scratch spaceplane.... BT20

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl Rocket

Reaction score
Have a spare BT20, so using it as the airframe. Designing on the fly... (as it were). Overall look is something of a SST/Interceptor/Orbital Transport sorta look.

Thinking of adding a "pitot tube" to the nosecone. Of course, a good ole toothpick will do the trick for that.

I've seen no design with that sort of "needle/pitot tube" coming out of a nosecone. Is there a reason for that? Is there a safety issue?

1/16th balsa for empannage. Wing tip (faux, of course) fuel tanks are possible... or wing tip pitot tubes..... Also small canards.... more for looks than anything. Smalll so not to goof CP/stability issues.

Decals.... anyone have a good source for decals? Concorde would work, I suppose. The decals, though, will make or break it!

:)

Thanks!

Karl

Scott.... your wish is my command! Though, I just realized I have an NC50....NOT 20. Dang it! I'll be getting an NC20, though :)

Parts, not glued, of course. Some fins not yet cut. :)

Looks cool! Becareful though, you've got the grain on the fins running in the wrong direction:eek: .

ahhhhhh...that does answer a question of mine. I was trying to cut WITH the grain so I wouldn't have to make my knife work harder. So CROSS GRAIN.... resists the aerodynamic load?

So noted for future, Scott! Thanks!

Karl

Karl:
Quickest way to fix your existing fin grain problem is to laminate the fins on both sides with plain old printer paper. make for some very strong fins:) Stymye uses 3m "77" spray adhesive. I've always used yellow carpenters glue. I think the spray adhesive my be easier to get perfectly smooth;)

In the future try to align the grain with the " Leading Edge" of the fins.
Hope this helps

Originally posted by Micromeister
Karl:
Quickest way to fix your existing fin grain problem is to laminate the fins on both sides with plain old printer paper. make for some very strong fins:) Stymye uses 3m "77" spray adhesive. I've always used yellow carpenters glue. I think the spray adhesive my be easier to get perfectly smooth;)

Hope this helps
You can also use self adhesive label paper. It's quick and easy and no glue to deal with.

Decals: Check out the Squirrel Works offerings - they've got some good ideas there. Also, take a stroll down your local hobby shop's plastic model aisle and look for some of the airliner decals. Something may catch your eye.

"Extra bits" on the exterior of the model itself will also provide a nice degree of faux-realism here, too. Maybe some of those cheap click-type pen outer tubes can serve as "nacelles." Look around your home for formed plastic doo-dads that you could attach to the exterior that would enhance the appearance. Sci-fi stuff always seems to have lots of external conduits and piping and textures.

WW

Yes, that's good advice.

For a fin with a more complex profile such as yours, you might be better off making it two pieces as shown below. The grain on the forward section follows the leading edge. The grain on the aft section can follow its leading edge or be perpendicular to the airframe. (Clipped deltas, such as this piece, are sometimes done that way ala the old Estes Omega.)

Doug

spaceplane1_0677_03.gif

Originally posted by wwattles

"Extra bits" on the exterior of the model itself will also provide a nice degree of faux-realism here, too. Maybe some of those cheap click-type pen outer tubes can serve as "nacelles." Look around your home for formed plastic doo-dads that you could attach to the exterior that would enhance the appearance. Sci-fi stuff always seems to have lots of external conduits and piping and textures.

WW

Yes!!!

Did the old paper-sandwich thing with the main fins. Will cut out the secondary fins cross-grain.

Was able to find PDF's of both the orbital transport and sissorwing decals. Both are perfectly suited for my lil' ole spaceplane. I also have an extra sheet from my Enterprise rocket that I can butcher....

Originally posted by rokitflite
Originally posted by wwattles

WW

Yes!!!

The details are the beauty part.....
Good job on that one Scott.

Oh how I wish I was back into rocketry when the Odyssey was available. Such a nice looking kit.

--- Ron

Originally posted by e42
Oh how I wish I was back into rocketry when the Odyssey was available. Such a nice looking kit.

--- Ron

Lord, you make me feel so guilty:( The Odyssey WILL be back, I am just cranking on the next kit right now... I SWEAR on this forum that you will see the new kit in April! No excuses!!!

Lord, you make me feel so guilty:( The Odyssey WILL be back, I am just cranking on the next kit right now... I SWEAR on this forum that you will see the new kit in April! No excuses!!!

Scott: Will the new Odyssey series have the plastic details the original had? I have an extra set if you need to make molds.

Promises, promises . . . . :D

Drew

Laminated one fin with paper, the other with brushed on wood glue. The paper laminate makes the fin very strong. The glue increases the strength of the other fin, but not as much as the paper.

Will begin fin attachment in earnest tonight. Fillets to include thin ropes of Aves.NC, ordered via eBay, I hope will arrive soon.

:)

Karl

Originally posted by Karl Rocket
Laminated one fin with paper, the other with brushed on wood glue. The paper laminate makes the fin very strong. The glue increases the strength of the other fin, but not as much as the paper....
The additional benefit to laminating with paper is that it provides a nice smooth finished surface and will look great after a few coats of primer/paint.

The one brushed with glue will need a good bit of sanding to show a nice smooth surface after painting.

Nose cone arrived! Gave a sand, then applied Mr Surfacer 500. Gave another sand of ultra high grit. Another coat of Surfacer coming. Inserted "pitot" tube on tip of NC.

K

Well...crimped the body tube a bit trying to fit an engine into it.

I can trim the crimp away.....but still....ya know?

PM me your address and I'll send you more body tubes! I wanna see this done!:D

Holy moly!! Wow, Scott!!! That is truely wayyyy above and beyond, buddy!

I will graciously accept and hope its turns out really cool!

With BIG thanks.... and grins:D

Karl

Karl:
Sorry I missed the question about pilot tubes.

I guess most leave them off or alone for the simple reason they Tend to be easily damaged. more on display, transport and on the ground After landing.
I add them on just about any Scale or PMC taking care to design a way to protect and/or reinforce the probs as necessary. Sometimes using a piece of paintbursh bristle, soft styrene plastic , copper or brass wire and sometimes tiny brass tubes help make the item bendable without snapping off as a toothpick, or wood spar might. Bamboo skewers are also helpful:)

Nice X-1!

Good alternatives, all. I did use a toothpick. Though, should it snap, I can replace with one of these.

Karl
Karl, that's been my experience with Scott, too, on more occasions than I can remember.

:) :) :)

Scott, is that April date for the production kit?

Karl

Its the least I could do for hijacking your build thread a couple of times:rolleyes: :D Expect a box soon.

Back