Scale model of the Hail Mary

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes 75mm, I will have the nose cone and transition 3d printed (I can’t make the transition in open rocket so I will calculate the CD and force the nose cones on the sides to match) and ok I see now why it was not stable I also think that being short and wide doesn’t help.

At a gross level I don't see much wrong with the file, it just needs adjustments. Some materials are wrong (fins != cardboard I'm guessing) and clearly it needs some nose weight, since CG is quite far back.

At a gross level I don't see much wrong with the file, it just needs adjustments. Some materials are wrong (fins != cardboard I'm guessing) and clearly it needs some nose weight, since CG is quite far back.
Yeah I know I also think I should make the top tube shorter and the bottom longer so I can make it more usable as plans. I also need to add stuff like rail buttons and a bulkhead in the coupler.

Ok so a think I have a parts list
-body tubing 75mm loc $13
-mm 3 kits from apogee $24
-transition and nose cone 3d printed price unknown have to make 3d model in solidworks and get quote.

Ps if you know solidworks help is appreciated my only experience is the first few weeks of inventor.

I don't know about Inventor, but in Solidworks the transition is just 2 sketches at the appropriate distance apart and a Loft:

loft 3-1.png

I don't know about Inventor, but in Solidworks the transition is just 2 sketches at the appropriate distance apart and a Loft:

View attachment 605945
Yeah that is what I figured (my cad teacher said it was quote “the exact same as inventor I mean the exact same”) but how do you put sketches a distance apart I thought you would make a cube and use a loft to get rid of the excess?

Yeah that is what I figured (my cad teacher said it was quote “the exact same as inventor I mean the exact same”) but how do you put sketches a distance apart I thought you would make a cube and use a loft to get rid of the excess?
Offset a plane... then sketch on that plane.

I thought you would make a cube and use a loft to get rid of the excess?

That's the way a machinist thinks, I have this "block" of material, and I want to make a shape. How can it be made with the tools I have? By subtracting material with saws, drills, mills etc.

CAD modeling allows you to go directly to the final shape.

Mr. Roadster is correct on the technical details of how to do this. I could give you the step by step process of how to make the transition in SW, or even design the whole thing for you.

However, you strike me as a young, enthusiastic sort that would rather learn how to do it for himself/herself, because in the end that is much more rewarding.

However, you strike me as a young, enthusiastic sort that would rather learn how to do it for himself/herself, because in the end that is much more rewarding
Thanks, you are right I think that the how is better than having it done for you.

Being a fan of the book, I really like this project!
I do plenty of dabbling in 3D design (I use OnShape) and 3D printing. I'm even working on an Estes upscale with 3D printed fins, nose cone, centering rings, and one coupler/baffle.
Point is, I'd love to help if there's anything I can do. . .

Cheers!

Being a fan of the book, I really like this project!
I do plenty of dabbling in 3D design (I use OnShape) and 3D printing. I'm even working on an Estes upscale with 3D printed fins, nose cone, centering rings, and one coupler/baffle.
Point is, I'd love to help if there's anything I can do. . .

Cheers!
Thanks, if you want I could pay you to 3d print it.

ok I got it, also WHY DOES IT SAVE TO THE CLOUD.

edit please excuse the bad spelling.

Attachments

• transishun v2.stl
    284.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Looks great! I think the biggest issue with this build will be acquiring astrophage for the engines.

I have the final version of the transition model if you want to make one for yourself.

Edit it is not showing up if you want it pm me

Last edited:
Ok I have been thinking about detailing, all the drawings I have found don’t have details and are more diagrams than drawings I think I have 2 options

1 don’t do details
2 make up some details

Which one do you think is the best?

Last edited:
Ok I have been thinking about detailing, all the drawings I have found don’t have details and are more diagrams than drawings I think I have 2 options

1 don’t do details
2 make up some details

Which one do you think is the best?
#2 - hopefully Project Hail Mary will be turned into a movie. If so, it will be kind of cool to see if your added details align with Hollywood.

The transition is printed thanks to @MoeFaux also sorry for the massive file but my phone doesn’t have editing software. I am going to order the other parts this week.

Attachments

• video_2023-09-29_08-10-24.mp4
    26.3 MB
Back