Rules for buying black powder?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebbst

Reaction score
As I usually do when the top two results on the internet have conflicting answers about rocketry legalities, I'm coming here to beg for the opinion of more experienced individuals.

What is the easiest way to buy black powder if you live in Massachusetts? Do you need an explosives license, a firearms licence, or anything like that? Do you have to be 18, or 21? Basic things like that. If there are any rocketeers from Massachusetts who do dual deploy, I would love to know where you get your boom sauce from.

Any answers are greatly appreciated!

-Sebastian

Here in MN it is way different. About the only thing they have done right:(
By a "firearms license" are they meaning a CC permit, a hunting license, or an FFL?

I'm sorry, but they do NOT say. It states you need a federal explosives permit to buy black powder, but in the same sentence it states that an exemption is made for black powder.

What do I need to buy black powder?

In general, a federal explosives license or permit under the federal explosives regulations at 27 CFR, Part 555 is required to purchase black powder. However, an exemption at 27 CFR Part 555.141(b) states that these regulations do not apply to black powder: That is commercially manufactured.

Read the link for Massachusetts again. You need a firearms permit issued by the local police. That does not apply to the rest of the US.

On the Federal level, this is old news as related to purchasing. Refer to 27 CFR Part 555.141(b) and try to interpret the wording the best you can. Some like to parse the "commas" to their advantage. Safest interpretation is to own an old BP firearm.

For storage and transportation at the Federal level, 50 pounds is exempt.

Local laws may be different. The information is out there if you search for it. TRF is not the place to start.

Thanks for the info everyone! I was going to go to a cmass launch and bother everyone with my questions anyways, but this convinces me to do so even more.
-Sebastian

This is one of the several reasons I moved out of MA to NH. I bought BP at a shop down the road from me. Got some cannon fuse while I was at it.;)
Like you, I am no threat. Sad that they think a little bit a BP is a threat.

Back to the topic, BP is usually ok in most states.

Just for the record, I bought cannon fuse for an actual cannon. Cause, you can have those in New Hampshire.:cool:

......... buy an antique firearm just in case.
Need not be antique. Plenty of newly manufactured black powder firearms available.

And it is, and always has been, legal to make your own firearm, so there's that option, too! Plenty of kits available to build your own flintlock or cap and ball musket or pistol. And if you want to be really unique, you can buy functional tiny cannons, too!

I looked around a little and was surprised to find the replica black powder revolvers don't really cost much more than the muzzle loaders. And the finished muzzle loaders don't really cost much more than the muzzle loader kits.
Most of the pistols also have an actual blued finish, which is rare these days. I got a pistol (1851 Navy) for about $280 and it's really nice looking.

I have a Remi New Army 1858 built new replica by that Italian company ; I shoot it quite often. It's like you clustered 4 D-12s on every shot. At the time I bought it , it was like $150 , not today.

I also have a 50 cal muzzle loader 209 primer in-line rifle; Wal-Mart had $129 on the sticker, it rang up $89. They called the manager and he said sell it what the register says. Two guys working the store bought the other two they had left in stock , it was a clearance item.

Shoots 100 / 200 yards great, but I put System 7 pellets in it as I can't stick it in the dish washing sink to clean BP out of it like the pistol.

I have a Remi New Army 1858 built new replica by that Italian company ; I shoot it quite often. It's like you clustered 4 D-12s on every shot. At the time I bought it , it was like $150 , not today.

I also have a 50 cal muzzle loader 209 primer in-line rifle; Wal-Mart had $129 on the sticker, it rang up $89. They called the manager and he said sell it what the register says. Two guys working the store bought the other two they had left in stock , it was a clearance item.

Shoots 100 / 200 yards great, but I put System 7 pellets in it as I can't stick it in the dish washing sink to clean BP out of it like the pistol.
Use the bathtub ?

:)

It's counter intuitive, but soap and water are best for cleaning BP firearms. Obviously you need to dry and oil afterwards.

I just re-read the original question and it would be interesting to know what one would do for dual deploy if BP was not an option. CO2 cartridges? Some other source of compressed gas? Still working towards L1 myself, so I haven't yet given it much thought or research.

And, my apologies for contributing to the steering of this thread off course.

I just re-read the original question and it would be interesting to know what one would do for dual deploy if BP was not an option. CO2 cartridges? Some other source of compressed gas? Still working towards L1 myself, so I haven't yet given it much thought or research.

And, my apologies for contributing to the steering of this thread off course.

My Choice is Jolly Logic Chute release. before that we had some chute cutters types that still needed a match but the Chute release is my choice now.

Back