Rube Goldberg Lander

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The eight remaining lug fins were glued into place on the payload tube.

rgl-const-248.jpg

rgl-const-249.jpg

rgl-const-250.jpg

Three more lug fins were installed in this session for a total of 4. The payload bay was set aside to dry.

I like the look of this :)

(Edit - the photo from the original post didn't show?! Anyhow, I like the body tube with all the BT2.5's around it!!)

Krusty

In addition to the "build" stuff just documented, SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED decreed that I had some yard work to do. When that was done, I figured it was safe to apply what I hope to be the final bit of putty on boom assembly 1's joint.

rgl-const-251.jpg

I mentioned before that I had hardened the balsa with thin CA. I was satisfied with the durability imparted but I did not like the finish. My favorite finish comes from using MarcG's Teamwork recipe. I had last used mine over a year ago. I opened up the mason jar and found that what was left seemed like unadulterated Bondo Spot and Glazing putty. That's not surprising since that is one of the main ingredients. I reasoned that the only problem is that some of the solvent had evaporated so I added Minwax wood hardener and mixed it to the desired consistency. That seemed to do the trick and I was ready to tackle the rest of the balsa.

Teamwork was painted onto the nose cone and pod transition of pod 2.

rgl-const-252.jpg

rgl-const-253.jpg

It seemed about like I remember so I did the same thing to pod 2.

rgl-const-254.jpg

rgl-const-255.jpg

I didn't want to play favorites so pod 1 got treated also.

rgl-const-258.jpg

rgl-const-259.jpg

Since I had the Teamwork out, I applied it to the payload transition and the main cone as well.

rgl-const-261.jpg

rgl-const-262.jpg

I opened up the Template Widget and printed five paper transitions. Each was 4" long, began at BT50 and ended at 2.3" diameter.

rgl-const-263.jpg

Its something that MarcG came up with. It is 50/50 by volume mixture of Bondo Spot and Glazing putty and Minwax wood hardener. It sands down perfectly.

I got more done today but SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED has just explained to me that in her native land, Father's Day has a different connotation... something to do with pleasing the Mother by doing chores or some such...

Back later.

The dog is out walking the wife now so... I shall continue.

Tick marks were placed along the mating edges of the transition at 1/4" intervals.

rgl-const-264.jpg

rgl-const-265.jpg

A ruler was then used to draw a line between the top mark on the left and the 2nd from the top mark on the right.

rgl-const-266.jpg

Additional lines, all parallel to the first, were then drawn using the ticks as a guide.

rgl-const-267.jpg

The paper transition was then cut out leaving an arbitrary gluing tab along the left side.

rgl-const-268.jpg

All the other transitions were treated likewise.

rgl-const-269.jpg

I wanted to pre-curl the transitions so I wrapped them around a pencil.

rgl-const-270.jpg

rgl-const-280.jpg

An extremely thin layer of TMT was smeared along the gluing tab and the two long edges were mated, aligned and pressed together.

rgl-const-281.jpg

The process was repeated to produce 5 transitions, soon to become engine nozzles.

rgl-const-282.jpg

The worst of the motor tubes, in terms of size of JB Weld fillet, was chosen as a standard to which the others would adhere. A BT50 to BT55 centering ring had its interior sanded and was slipped over the motor tube and pushed to the bottom end.

rgl-const-283.jpg

The ring was then glued into place and filleted with TMT.

rgl-const-284.jpg

That brings me up to date with progress thus far.

I am on call now until 7 AM. Unless paged, I do not go in to work again until 11 PM tomorrow. That being the case, I may or may not go back out and work on this thing some more. My time would probably be better spent finishing up the fin and leg design instead but I don't feel like doing either right now.

The nozzles were slipped down the motor tubes and gentled into place around the centering rings. They were then fixed into place with TMT.

rgl-const-286.jpg

rgl-const-287.jpg

rgl-const-288.jpg

One side of each of the lug fins was filleted with TMT.

rgl-const-289.jpg

After the TMT had dried, the paper nozzles were drenched in thin CA to strengthen them, stiffen them and make it easier to attach the reflux capacitors.

rgl-const-290.jpg

rgl-const-291.jpg

Back