Rube Goldberg Lander

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gee wiz John, you never played the cootie game when you were a kid?

They looked more like this when we were little.
cootie333.jpg

Gee wiz John, you never played the cootie game when you were a kid?

They looked more like this when we were little.
View attachment 133195

I never heard of it!

I remember cooties as that mysterious disease you caught in first through fourth grades if you got too close to a girl. Apparently, after fourth grade you develop and immunity because I tried and tried and didn't get a case until 2006.

The second layer of putty got a day to dry and was then sanded down. The holes were filled to my satisfaction.

rgl-const-152.jpg

rgl-const-153.jpg

The second putty application also got doused with some thin CA.

rgl-const-154.jpg

rgl-const-155.jpg

I located boom tube #4, mainly because it was the first one I found, and installed a baffle.

rgl-const-156.jpg

Will you have time this week to plan a sermon? Or will you give the assoc. pastor that duty? LOL

Another angled coupler was fabricated, just as before. There will be plenty more to come!

rgl-const-157.jpg

rgl-const-158.jpg

rgl-const-159.jpg

Will you have time this week to plan a sermon? Or will you give the assoc. pastor that duty? LOL

At my current appointment, I am the associate. I don't preach again until 7 July. Sadly, I do not think this beast will be ready by then. (I have only just begun).

After 7 July, I am going to be at the Chinese UMC. The sermons will be in Mandarin. I am already working on two of them because I know from experience that they will each take a loooong time.

I should be at ChUMC until about the middle of September when their new pastor is supposed to arrive from San Francisco. Then it will be back to Dixon UMC as associate for the next 2 years.

Most of my "work" (in terms of supporting the family) is currently as a chaplain for Methodist Healthcare. I serve 6 different hospitals. I look forward to getting back to the local church in 2015. That is where my "heart" is.

I also installed the motor retainers on motor tubes 4 and 5. #4 was exactly like #3. #5 was simpler because there was no mitering needed.

rgl-const-160.jpg

At my current appointment, I am the associate. I don't preach again until 7 July. Sadly, I do not think this beast will be ready by then. (I have only just begun).

After 7 July, I am going to be at the Chinese UMC. The sermons will be in Mandarin. I am already working on two of them because I know from experience that they will each take a loooong time.

I should be at ChUMC until about the middle of September when their new pastor is supposed to arrive from San Francisco. Then it will be back to Dixon UMC as associate for the next 2 years.

Most of my "work" (in terms of supporting the family) is currently as a chaplain for Methodist Healthcare. I serve 6 different hospitals. I look forward to getting back to the local church in 2015. That is where my "heart" is.

Sounds like you have a real busy schedule upcoming!

The retainers on motor tubes 4 and 5 had plenty of time to set up so their knurled rings were screwed into place for safe keeping.

rgl-const-161.jpg

I was starting to get desperately worried about running out of parts so I stopped by Hobby Lobby and picked up some pieces that had not yet been obtained.

rgl-const-162.jpg

On returning home, I found that Semroc had also been good to me.

rgl-const-163.jpg

rgl-const-164.jpg

I decided to start the day off differently so I marked the halfway point on the 3 square section 3/8" basswood strips.

rgl-const-165.jpg

??????? What ARE you building ????????

If watching this thread ends up in my needing a therapist, I'm sending you the bill ;)

Krusty

Two of them were placed in a hobby miter box to be sawn in half. This yielded 4 pieces, each 12" long. These are to be the Pod Struts.

rgl-const-166.jpg

rgl-const-167.jpg

I needed to make the ends of the struts conform to the BT50 curvature so I wrapped a piece of tubing with sandpaper and sanded the profile into the ends of the struts.

rgl-const-168.jpg

rgl-const-169.jpg

??????? What ARE you building ????????

If watching this thread ends up in my needing a therapist, I'm sending you the bill ;)

Krusty

I'm building the Rube Goldberg Lander. Haven't you been paying attention.

Have your therapist contact mine and I split the price of the rubber room with you.

I took 2 wood BT50 to BT55 centering rings and sanded the interiors so that they slipped over a BT50 easily.

rgl-const-170.jpg

The strut was then sandwiched between the two rings, butted against the tube, glued into place and clamped. It was very important not to let the rings or strut become glued to the tube.

rgl-const-171.jpg

rgl-const-172.jpg

Not gluing the tube was important because the tube had to be removed.

rgl-const-173.jpg

I had another small clamp so I made another one!

rgl-const-174.jpg

As the struts and strut housings dried, I assembled and glued together boom tube and pod base 4. Again, the alignment marks were used along the the eyeball to make sure everything points in the right direction.

rgl-const-175.jpg

rgl-const-176.jpg

rgl-const-177.jpg

The clamps were removed from the struts and strut housings and the results examined.

rgl-const-178.jpg

rgl-const-179.jpg

rgl-const-180.jpg

Just for grins, I slipped a strut assembly onto a pod base to check it out. It still needs some sanding and reinforcing but I think it will work.

rgl-const-181.jpg

Not having time to start anything else major, I fitted an eyescrew into cone 1 and secured it with Titebond II. I then did likewise with the other pod nose cones.

rgl-const-182.jpg

rgl-const-183.jpg

Back