Rocketry in Jardiance Commercial

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proflaser

Reaction score
Tonight I saw a Jardiance commercial featuring a family attending a model rocket launch. The main character was directing launches of a rack of models. It was an ideal community 'rocket fair' as the banners said with a lot of people having fun flying and lowering their A1c. The rockets and launch equipment didn't look like Hollywood, so I'm wondering if there was a local club that helped stage the operation. I'm guessing it was shot in California where most things are filmed, so anyone know who might have been consulting on this?

Doggone! That was a great commercial for rocketry. Someone had to have consulted, it’s too accurate.

Nice! Except for the accidental launch with his back to the pad!

There are a number of parks in California that are named “Willow Park”.

However, I found none with a hillside nearby as shown in the ad.

The sign at the park may well have been simply a prop.

Even still, compared to many portrayals we've seen, that one is really pretty good....in an ad for a diabetes drug, of all things. That taller 5-pad rack that was being carried out looks very much like our old club rack, which made me do a double-take.

Scripted. They do lots of thing in movies and on TV that don't happen in real life ;).
Of course. I just didn't think this part cast our sport in such a positive light. But they didn't show any lawn darts going through car windshields, so I guess we shouldn't complain. :)

Here's a commercial we made for the regional fast food chain, Jack's in 2017. Produced with tons of assistance from the Birmingham Rocket Boys NAR Section #665, including Ronald Dunn and Steve Skinner who went on to start Mach 1 Rocketry.

In the spot, we used the iconic Der Red Max as our "hero" rocket, and then substituted a Mega Red Max for the overhead drone shots so that the rocket would "read" better for camera.

Our client was very concerned about safety, and making sure that they projected a positive (STEM friendly) message for girls. They even submitted the commercial to NAR for approval on safety issues before airing it. Talk about great corporate leadership.

Fun spot--and it got me back into rocketry after almost twenty years.

Jack's Family Restaurant "Rocket City" :30

Yep, that Jardiance commercial looks like the real thing. Even the launch behind the guy looks somewhat plausible. He didn't hear the LCO, the LCO didn't see him there; unlikely, but there's no denying that things do go wrong. And it was supposed to be an unexpected, heart jarring moment, which indeed it would be.

I thought both commercials were well done. The 'Willow Park' sign was definitely a prop though, those branches would not stand up to much wind. The Hero was even folding the chute reasonably well, and the girl did the classic wrap the shroud lines around it packing move.

The Jack's ad was also very nice, good use of stock footage mixed in with a sport launch, and great graphics. And since Werner Von Braun was at Huntsville for 20 years, the Der Red Max was a good choice!

Tony

Yep, that Jardiance commercial looks like the real thing. Even the launch behind the guy looks somewhat plausible. He didn't hear the LCO, the LCO didn't see him there; unlikely, but there's no denying that things do go wrong. And it was supposed to be an unexpected, heart jarring moment, which indeed it would be.
Except that his badge said “Launch Control Officer.”
I thought it was nicely done also. I think we can forgive a couple tiny mistakes that would only bother rocket people.

Back