Rocketpoxy Availability

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you originally reply, "No more than any other epoxy."?

This is important because my experience also, is all epoxies form bubbles to varying degrees/sizes, but these are not obvious unless magnified for the ES6209. I contacted PTM&W and they explained it is expected and that I'm welcome to degass, but it is not necessary. @JohnCoker did not mention needing to degass in his testing (https://www.jcrocket.com/adhesives.shtml) where he described "Aeropoxy ES6209 (as) the strongest for this kind of bonding (structural), for both G-10 and plywood." High praise coming from a trusted expert in so many things rocketry.

11.jpg

I originally was referring to the occasional bubble that surfaces on a fillet. I do not use a magnifying glass on my epoxy. ES6209 is an outstanding epoxy, micro bubbles or not.

I originally was referring to the occasional bubble that surfaces on a fillet. I do not use a magnifying glass on my epoxy. ES6209 is an outstanding epoxy, micro bubbles or not.

... and I'm banking on it! Like I said, it is quickly becoming my preferred even for fillets over RocketPoxy, that is not helping itself due to lack of availability. Due to a shipping mistake, I have lots of ES6209 that I have used throughout a "sonotube" build.

04.jpg

Did you originally reply, "No more than any other epoxy."?

This is important because my experience also, is all epoxies form bubbles to varying degrees/sizes, but these are not obvious unless magnified for the ES6209. I contacted PTM&W and they explained it is expected and that I'm welcome to degass, but it is not necessary. @JohnCoker did not mention needing to degass in his testing (https://www.jcrocket.com/adhesives.shtml) where he described "Aeropoxy ES6209 (as) the strongest for this kind of bonding (structural), for both G-10 and plywood." High praise coming from a trusted expert in so many things rocketry.

View attachment 622013

I thought I was the only one who made efforts to have internal fillets look as good as the ones external to the rocket!

I thought I was the only one who made efforts to have internal fillets look as good as the ones external to the rocket!

Nope! Couple or 3 of reasons... 1) "You can only perfect what you practice". 2) Masking and forming fillets controls weight 3) It is simply less messy. ;-)

...and here is some more "eye candy." Let me know if you want to see how I do this?

Attachments

• 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    832.6 KB · Views: 0
I am currently using Aeropoxy ES6209 thickened with CAB-O-SIL. I started out adding Aeropoxy to the thick settlings from rocketpoxy and that worked so well that I have continued to use it. I mix the CAB-O-SIL with the aeropoxy to the desired thickness in the rocketpoxy screw top containers. The resin appear much like rocketpoxy and the hardener has gel like consistency. It is forgiving when mixing small amounts. I dispense it with chopsticks on a plastic lid till the portions look about equal and mix it together. No problems so far.

Since I have gone tube fin crazy, I do not have any unpainted/unflown examples. Here are a couple:

Attachments

• PXL_20231230_014549146.jpg
    PXL_20231230_014549146.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231230_014635563.jpg
    PXL_20231230_014635563.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231230_014823405.jpg
    PXL_20231230_014823405.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
Since it's so popular, I'm sorry that "RocketPoxy" wasn't compared in my adhesive tests. (It just wasn't on my radar back then.)

Looks like it was a good call not to compare ;-), because RocketPoxy is going to be just a blip on the radar, a proverbial flash in the pan, then gone.

Any left over epoxy goes in the freezer for later use.

Attachments

• PXL_20231230_015923905.jpg
    PXL_20231230_015923905.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231230_015951768.jpg
    PXL_20231230_015951768.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231230_015846732.jpg
    PXL_20231230_015846732.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Sent an email myself about Rocketpoxy and I’ll post the response once received. Starting my L-3 and would not want to mix fillets on this build so I may use Proline 4500 because I know I can get it if more is needed.

RocketPoxy and T-88 are my favorite.

RocketPoxy has a limited shelf life. There were issues with their supplier in drum quantities, which may have stopped distribution. So, it’s best to test mix a small batch of “new” kits before diving into a project.

Anyone using Aeropoxy ES6209 as a substitute?
Aeropoxy ES6209 is the only structural epoxy I use with fiberglass. It’s easy to use. It’s flexible so it doesn’t get brittle. It flows nicely in internal injected fillets. And when mixed to a really thick peanut butter consistency with micro balloons, it makes great fillets. It does take a long time to cure, which is really the only down side to it I have found. I read all of the epoxy threads for entertainment, but I’m not inclined to use anything else. The only other epoxies I use any more are JB for attaching Aeropack retainers and some high temperature stuff that Wildman sold me for minimum diameter rockets that will get hot.

Aeropoxy ES6209 is the only structural epoxy I use with fiberglass. It’s easy to use. It’s flexible so it doesn’t get brittle. It flows nicely in internal injected fillets. And when mixed to a really thick peanut butter consistency with micro balloons, it makes great fillets. It does take a long time to cure, which is really the only down side to it I have found. I read all of the epoxy threads for entertainment, but I’m not inclined to use anything else. The only other epoxies I use any more are JB for attaching Aeropack retainers and some high temperature stuff that Wildman sold me for minimum diameter rockets that will get hot.

I sought out ES6209 because of the longer cure time knowing I would need it for a large "sonotube' tube build (10"). If find it works for smallish fillets without micro balloon, but I'm concerned about the small bubbles that form. May start degassing, but I'm told it is not necessary.

Aeropoxy ES6209 is what I generally use. It's much superior to what I used before that, and the bonds are stronger than typical HPR materials we bond with it. Below you how pressing on a centering ring is deforming phenolic tube before breaking the epoxy bond. It doesn't need any thickening for general bonding as finger-tip fillets stand up.

PXL_20231117_211847656.jpg

Aeropoxy ES6209 is what I generally use. It's much superior to what I used before that, and the bonds are stronger than typical HPR materials we bond with it. Below you how pressing on a centering ring is deforming phenolic tube before breaking the epoxy bond. It doesn't need any thickening for general bonding as finger-tip fillets stand up.

View attachment 622312

I agree, I'm using ES6209 because of your testing and conclusions drawn, but I'm still somewhat concerned about the bubbles that from in said " finger-tip fillets" fillets :)

PC-11 came a few days ago. Ran a couple fillets, a lot better than Max Bond. the fillet did not shatter, it penetrated the grain much better. As you can see the ply split and the glue held. Very happy with this. Also sanded very easy.
PS... my rocket poxy from Wildman came this week :) :)

Attachments

• 20240106_113239.jpg
    20240106_113239.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
PC-11 came a few days ago. Ran a couple fillets, a lot better than Max Bond. the fillet did not shatter, it penetrated the grain much better. As you can see the ply split and the glue held. Very happy with this. Also sanded very easy.
PS... my rocket poxy from Wildman came this week :) :)
I received my RocketPoxy as well but no reply from the company on if or when production is to resume. Lots of rumors but nothing from the company yet😢

I got my Rocketpoxy Friday as well. Strangely, this was the first time I have received a shipment that had already expired (12/30/2023). As fast as this stuff sells out it doesn't make much sense to me. Either they forgot to adjust the expiration date, or the found an old case of epoxy in the warehouse and sent it to Wildman.

Hahaha. Somehow I knew you would say that. I'm not worried about it. It will be gone by spring. I just thought it is interesting information in the story of are they making more or not.

Back