Rocket motor help.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzviper1

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I live in Texas, and the weather has been miserably hot, so I asked Alexa "how could I shut the sun down".
She suggested dumping several trillion tons of iron into the sun.
What size rocket motor would I need for that?

I live in Texas, and the weather has been miserably hot, so I asked Alexa "how could I shut the sun down".
She suggested dumping several trillion tons of iron into the sun.
What size rocket motor would I need for that?
I'm simultaneously amused and disturbed that you actually got a more or less correct answer to that question.

Alexa? You need to start talking to smarter AI bots.
Looks like the rocket would need to weigh 27,180,000,000,000,000,000 kg assuming we can make some motors with uber-ISP.

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 11.54.14 AM.png

Also, after you get done building the rocket you might want to check on this...

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 12.01.33 PM.png

Ok. Let's keep playing...

Instead of a giant rocket to lift 3 trillion tons of iron from earth, you could just push Mercury into the sun. It looks like Mercury has about 2.54 x 10^20 tons of iron. A much smaller rocket could be used to give Mercury a shove.

Instead of a giant rocket to lift 3 trillion tons of iron from earth, you could just push Mercury into the sun. It looks like Mercury has about 2.54 x 10^20 tons of iron. A much smaller rocket could be used to give Mercury a shove.
So, does that mean that Mercury would function as a fire extinguisher when our sun goes nova?

For Mercury to have any effect it'd have to be moving at near-relativistic speed. So I guess we're back to that C6-5 motor...

Back