removing an old engine mount

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy

Reaction score
If I wanted to say turn my current C class Big Betty into a D class rocket how would I remove the current engine mount without damaging the rocket?

If I wanted to say turn my current C class Big Betty into a D class rocket how would I remove the current engine mount without damaging the rocket?

Dremel rotory tool with a flexable shaft. A rough sanding disc or carbide grinding bit attached to the shaft would take it right out.

If you don't have that, buy a new Big Betty and build a 24 mm motor mount into it right from the get-go. Make or buy a 18 mm motor adaptor so the smaller motors can still be use in the rocket

I learned my method from an Estes E15 Cato in a Saturn V in the early 90's. When the E15 catoed, it cleanly blew out the entire motor assembly out of the rocket (allowing for an easy upgrade to 29mm). Since then, the brute force method has been used on several rockets when needing to upgrade or replace a motor mount.

Take a dowel sized just smaller than the body tube and give it a good whack from the forward end of the tube. It removes a bit of the top layer of paper from the airframe or the centering rings, but it *always* leaves the airframe pretty clean and ready for a new mount.

Takes a little bit of nerves to forcibly remove something from a prized rocket, but it has worked for me....I wouldn't have tried it if it wasn't demonstrated so elegantly by the infamous E15! I use Elmer's Carpenter's wood or Titebond glue.

-Eric-

I cut the ordinary Estes 18mm mount out of a BT55 oh about 43 years ago. This was a short tube with 2 thin centering rings. As I recall I cut the rings with a standard XActo knife and probably used the same knife to clean the remnants out of the tube.

This was in the days when all Estes made were 18mm B engines, but we had discovered FSI C engines. They were slightly larger diameter than 18mm so I cut the Estes mount out, rolled my own paper/white glue tube to fit the new engines, and glued it in. The rocket flew great on the FSI C engines. As I recall they were a longer burn time than the Estes engines.

(see this thread for information on the red/white/black rocket https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=22170 )

I've been thinking about this myself ever since someone posted a mod of an Estes Saturn V that uses a 5 engine cluster arrangement...

FC

Use the Aerotech 18mm D motors. (D10 and D21 single use, D13 and D24 reloadable). No extra work necessary. If you really want a 24mm mount, I would just build another model with a new mount. My :2:.

Back