Red Shift II RG from Arkansas [J&H Aerospace]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then I decided to re-check the Build Video Part 2, and I realized I had not worked on the ailerons. un-pin and cut.

m_IMG_1027small.jpg

Aileron shaping. [EDIT: Orientation is wrong! Should be slanted DOWNWARD.]

m_IMG_1028small.jpg

Last edited:
Bandaid covering a hobby blade cut? (Badge of honor of a true craftsperson).

Though I have had many hobby blade cuts, this particular bandaid is covering a booboo from a flathead screwdriver. Was trying to get to an airfilter on a Ford Explorer.

Back on the build. Realized I had trimmed the ailerons on the wrong side. Instead of being angled to the top of the wing, they should be angled to the bottom.

Fortunately......all I had to do was switch wing sides.

m_IMG_1029small.jpg

m_IMG_1033small.jpg

The wing requires side supports on the fuselage. First, I sanded top & bottom of the fuselage to make sure they were flat.

m_IMG_1040small.jpg

Next, sanding the wing supports to get the wing level; and making sure the wing clears the rocket motor.

m_IMG_1045small.jpg

Glued the wing in place with 5 minute epoxy (actually, more like 7 or 8 minute). The wingtip height, as shown, was 4-1/4" from the table on both sides.

m_IMG_1046small.jpg

Gluing the tail assembly in place with 15 minute epoxy. Came up with a way to get the Elevator aligned with the Wings. We will see.

m_IMG_1048small.jpg

m_IMG_1050small.jpg

Here is a J&H Aerospace video of a Red Shift II rocket launch. Also contains some rocket glider build info.

Really looking good!
Any concerns about wing charring? That motor pod sits awfully close to the wing and elevator surfaces.

Really looking good!
Any concerns about wing charring? That motor pod sits awfully close to the wing and elevator surfaces.

YES!!! I am concerned about wing charring/burning/glider-on-fire. In the "Fastest" video, J&H put aluminum foil on the wing and tail in the area of the rocket exhaust.

I emailed J&H, asking how they attached/glued the foil.

Time to throw some paint on my Red Shift. I plan to do my 'standard' scheme of white top & orange bottom. So I can find it in the air, and on the ground.

m_IMG_1054small.jpg

I just noticed the short Tail Moment this glider has . . .

In the Build Part 1 video, at the start, J&H shows the Red Shift I. It has a longer Tail Moment, and looks more like a conventional glider wing.

The shorter, wider wing may have required a short Tail Moment to adequately control the model.

In the Build Part 1 video, at the start, J&H shows the Red Shift I. It has a longer Tail Moment, and looks more like a conventional glider wing.

The shorter, wider wing may have required a short Tail Moment to adequately control the model.

Hmm . . . I'm hoping that Joshua Finn sees this thread and posts about this.

Back