Where to find a launch controller to launch H and J motors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delacruzi

Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking to purchase a new launch controller for our rocketry team. We are looking for one that is specifically for high-powered motors (H and J), the cable needs to be at least 50ft long, and use at least a 6V battery. I am having a hard time trying to locate one, is there any places people recommend to look or how to go about ordering one? Thanks in advance.

The Wilson system is great. Other than that, this might be a custom/DIY system. BTW, for HPR, you need 100 ft safe distance for non-complex HPR up to J motors. Complex needs 200 ft.

There are very few off-the-shelf controllers for high power rockets. A newer vendor is IMPLS Launch Systems. Full disclosure: I've never seen these in person.
You'll want 12 volts, high amps, at least 100 feet. Good luck.

https://www.implslaunch.com/product-page/hpr-i-rocket-launch-controller

1698355509897.png

@delacruzi Have you considered seeking out a local club and inquiring about launch support for your team? They already have the FAA authorization you'll need to fly H and above.

Last edited:
There are very few off-the-shelf controllers for high power rockets. A newer vendor is IMPLS Launch Systems. Full disclosure: I've never seen these in person.

View attachment 612073

Have you considered seeking out a local club and inquiring about launch support for your club? They already have the FAA authorizations you'll need to fly H and above.

This will work if you only need a the set number of pads.

View attachment 612073

@delacruzi Have you considered seeking out a local club and inquiring about launch support for your team? They already have the FAA authorization you'll need to fly H and above.
My local club uses the 5-pad version of this controller for the 'away' pads (E, F & G motors). Works very well.

Do the admins of TRF have a way to verify these somewhat odd first posts by a user?

While this is probably a student who just doesn't know what to ask and it's cool that we all try to guide them in the right direction, it could just as easily be someone trying to figure out how to launch things at Tel Aviv... Been down range on the receiving end of those folks' creations. Not fun.

Hi all, I am looking to purchase a new launch controller for our rocketry team. We are looking for one that is specifically for high-powered motors (H and J), the cable needs to be at least 50ft long, and use at least a 6V battery. I am having a hard time trying to locate one, is there any places people recommend to look or how to go about ordering one? Thanks in advance.
Look up a local club and launch with them like most of the student organizations do. Unless you plan on getting your own FAA waiver.

Do the admins of TRF have a way to verify these somewhat odd first posts by a user?

While this is probably a student who just doesn't know what to ask and it's cool that we all try to guide them in the right direction, it could just as easily be someone trying to figure out how to launch things at Tel Aviv... Been down range on the receiving end of those folks' creations. Not fun.
This has to be the most absurd post in the history of this forum.

http://quickburst.net/qb/launch-control-systems/

I've noticed that kids these days are used to just asking Siri a question whenever they don't know something, rather than even doing the most basic "search" on their own. A LOT of the "I'm brand new here and a student and this is the advanced HPR problem that I'm trying to figure out..." questions read a lot like that. Even spending half an hour searching and reading would get most of them well on their way, but they haven't trained themselves to do that.

I've noticed that kids these days are used to just asking Siri a question whenever they don't know something, rather than even doing the most basic "search" on their own.
The vast majority of questions on this forum that could have been answered via a search is by the adults.

Back