Red Shift II RG from Arkansas [J&H Aerospace]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EDIT: There are 3 YouTube videos associated with the build:

Red Shift II Build Video, Part 1

Red Shift II Build Video, Part 2

My Fastest RC Airplane Ever: Redshift II Rocket Glider

My apologies. Got side-tracked by a Spitfire. Onward and upward!

There isn't a set of paper instructions with this model, but there is a J&H build video:

Last edited:
You are gluing light ply to 1/8" balsa, then adding 1/4" balsa to 'build up' the fuselage. I have not seen models built this way, but that doesn't make it wrong. Actually, reduces a LOT of sanding.

There is an outline sheet to show the part locations. (So, I guess there are instructions).

m_IMG_0943small.jpg

One of the reasons that I chose this model is because it uses D and C11-0 motors…..which I have a lot of. The Red Shift II is designed with no cover/nosecone over the front of the motor. So, you can use a D12-0 or a D12-5. No special motor setup.

The Red Shift II is designed to be flown as a Rocket Glider, or an electric RC airplane. I plan to use the model as a R/G only, but I am going to build it so that I could put an electric motor on if I wanted. (Never say never.)

Moving along....and I have already screwed up. o_O

You are supposed to glue the parts on the PLYWOOD side, not the balsa side. The light plywood is supposed to be on the INSIDE of the fuselage.

Ok, adding first layer of lower fuselage wood. Do not glue lower hatch.

m_IMG_0950small.jpg

Adding the other side of the fuselage.......and I have the light ply on the wrong side; should be on the inside of the fuselage.

m_IMG_0959small.jpg

Well, I did not do a good job of aligning the fuselage parts. But I think the model can be salvaged.

m_IMG_0960small.jpg

m_IMG_0961small.jpg

So, what is done is done. I started to use wood glue, so that I could have plenty of time to position pieces correctly. But I have lots of Medium CA, and I thought I would get things moving.

Rather than build from one edge, I might have put together the center pieces, to insure they were aligned better. Then attached to one outer edge, then to the other outer edge.

Oh well. Seems we will just have to keep moving.

Moving along....and I have already screwed up. o_O

You are supposed to glue the parts on the PLYWOOD side, not the balsa side. The light plywood is supposed to be on INSIDE of the fuselage.

Probably doesn't affect strength. The upside is that having the ply on the outside makes the fuselage exterior more rugged and dent resistant. I'm thinking Josh put it on the inside because balsa, being softer, makes it easier to sand the fuse exterior into rounded curves to streamline it.

Probably doesn't affect strength. The upside is that having the ply on the outside makes the fuselage exterior more rugged and dent resistant. I'm thinking Josh put it on the inside because balsa, being softer, makes it easier to sand the fuse exterior into rounded curves to streamline it.

I think you are right, Rktman.

OK, having another issue. Next step (at 25 minutes into video Part 1), you start building the nose pieces. There is one for the 'nosecone' [rocket glider flight] and one for the airplane electric motor. They are interchangeable, and held with screws. Pretty nifty idea.

[I am an engineer, and one of the joys of building J&H kits is seeing how they engineer solutions.]

But when I assembled the first nose piece (with firewall for electric motor), it was too big. Did I not follow the instruction right (again)?

m_IMG_0964small.jpg

It appears that the problem is Light Plywood sheet #7. It is suppose to be 1/32" thick; it is 1/16" thick. (I measured with calipers.)

m_IMG_0962small.jpg

So, I started sanding. Look at the pic, I have the right side (opposite the pencil) down to about 1/32".

m_IMG_0963small.jpg

After sanding the outer plywood down, I could get the plywood tabs to fit into the firewall; but it was still too thick.

So, I cut through the middle balsa, and did a little more sanding.

m_IMG_0965small.jpg

Ok, got everything sanded and fit. The indentions for the plywood tabs in the firewall are correct for 1/32" plywood.

Also note the orientation of the nose piece in relation to the firewall (where the electric motor attaches).

m_IMG_0966small.jpg.

m_IMG_0968small.jpg

And a better fit into/onto the front of the fuselage. Crookness due to my own building inadequacies. :rolleyes:

m_IMG_0969small.jpg

Ever forward. Let's make the rocket nose. Rather than make a rounded nose, I just decided to make a contour, because I am lazy.

Actually, because I figured I would not get the edges just right. And because I am lazy.

m_IMG_0971small.jpg

m_IMG_0972small.jpg

The thickness of the plywood pieces does not matter here. I just sanded on the balsa until I got a good fit in the fuselage.

m_IMG_0973small.jpg

m_IMG_0974small.jpg

J&H uses good quality balsa, so it sands well.

But first, using servo screws to hold the nose during sanding.

m_IMG_0975small.jpg

m_IMG_0976small.jpg

Back