Red Glare - What Are You Flying?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPscaler

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread about Red Glare, so I thought I'd post up an ask. I just booked my flight out there and I'm excited about my first MDRA event! I won't be flying anything. However, I will be there filming for my youtube channel.

I know Dan Michael is flying the full-scale Patriot.

So, who's going to Red Glare and what are you flying?

Braden

Anyone know when the raffle(s) are held?

There is no banquet this year because of COVID. Last year, the raffles were held at random times throughout the day for a couple of things each, rather than all at once.

It's looking more like I will be scrubbing my Level 3 attempt this weekend and doing it at Red Glare due to the lousy weather forecast. Saturday is probably shot with rain in the morning and 20+ MPH wind in the afternoon, but there's still a chance Sunday will be okay if the wind forecast comes down.

There is no banquet this year because of COVID. Last year, the raffles were held at random times throughout the day for a couple of things each, rather than all at once.

It's looking more like I will be scrubbing my Level 3 attempt this weekend and doing it at Red Glare due to the lousy weather forecast. Saturday is probably shot with rain in the morning and 20+ MPH wind in the afternoon, but there's still a chance Sunday will be okay if the wind forecast comes down.
What are flying for L3 flight?

Maybe the first flight of the Messier 65. Paid my dues and registration fees. Need to book a room and think about how much the 500+mile round trip will cost.

Attachments

• 16468479929044414514485609213613.jpg
    16468479929044414514485609213613.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 19
I'm planning on being there April 2nd only. This will be my first Red Glare and only second time at an MDRA launch. I'm just planning some more flights with my MPR fleet to take advantage of the field size and get some altimeter readings for OpenRocket sims.

What's the launch cadence like at a Red Glare compared to a regular monthly MDRA launch? I think I got in 5 or so low and mid-power launches last night, and I'd love to go for more, considering how rarely I can attend. Thanks for any advice!

I'm planning on being there April 2nd only. This will be my first Red Glare and only second time at an MDRA launch. I'm just planning some more flights with my MPR fleet to take advantage of the field size and get some altimeter readings for OpenRocket sims.

What's the launch cadence like at a Red Glare compared to a regular monthly MDRA launch? I think I got in 5 or so low and mid-power launches last night, and I'd love to go for more, considering how rarely I can attend. Thanks for any advice!

The LP/MP/ and 1010 HP rails get a LOT of traffic on a Red Glare Saturday. Ques to pad up rockets can run 90+ minutes between launches on the long side, as low as 20-30 minutes on the short side.

My plan is to fly a lot on Friday and much less on Saturday so I can sit and enjoy the show.

Beware, the problem with that plan is that last year, Saturday was the only good flying day. Friday had high wind and Sunday was rained out. We could get luckier this year but have in your mind which rockets you really want/need to fly and which ones can wait for a launch at the Sod Farm. I ended up flying almost no LPR because I had to get in all the flights that were too big for the Sod Farm or wait until December.

Good point about the weather. Nothing I can do to control that, though, so I'll hope for the best. Definitely planning to fly HP only since I can't fly that close to home. Don't know what I can't fly at the sod farm because I'm a pretty low altitude flyer (and have never been there; Red Glare will be my second MDRA launch).

Good point about the weather. Nothing I can do to control that, though, so I'll hope for the best. Definitely planning to fly HP only since I can't fly that close to home. Don't know what I can't fly at the sod farm because I'm a pretty low altitude flyer (and have never been there; Red Glare will be my second MDRA launch).

The recovery area at the Sod Farm is not nearly as large and the BoD recommends limiting flights to 4000', I personally would recommend a 2500' limit, but that's just my opinion. If you're already a low altitude flyer it probably won't affect you too much to be honest. The Sod Farm is still perfectly good for most H & I flights and heavier J & K-powered rockets do fine as well.

Thanks for the tips. I have sent eh BoD's 4000' recommendation, but I appreciate your experience. I'm planning to go to 3000' at Red Glare but haven't yet passed 2000'.

I went to Red Glare for the first time last year. Launch pace was SLOW. I was only flying low powered rockets, and we basically got about one flight per hour. I wish the LPR pads could launch when ready, and not have to wait for the big boys, but thats not the way they do it.

I went to Red Glare for the first time last year. Launch pace was SLOW. I was only flying low powered rockets, and we basically got about one flight per hour. I wish the LPR pads could launch when ready, and not have to wait for the big boys, but thats not the way they do it.

One launch of a full rack per hour is about the average pace.

People should bring concerns to the BoD. Just because they've always done it one way doesn't mean it can't change.

People should bring concerns to the BoD. Just because they've always done it one way doesn't mean it can't change.

I doubt that they would listen to the likes of me, a new member who only flies LPR rockets and isn't one of the boys. :)

If I can get help from Braden for prep and recovery, I have a KBA M1450 for my Starleopard. I also Have a M2000 Dragonfyre from Preston if I'm feelin frosty.

Attachments

• received_453976281799119[1].jpeg
    received_453976281799119[1].jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 33
Going to launch my Wraith on an I154J (maiden flight) and then an I327DM assuming I can finish up painting (which is currently under way).

Attachments

• PXL_20211128_210746869.jpg
    PXL_20211128_210746869.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20211128_210800447.jpg
    PXL_20211128_210800447.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 13
Back