recycle motor casings?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OC-Patrick

Reaction score
I don't know if this have ever been discussed, but are used motor casings (paper or plastic) recyclable? Probably gone through hundreds if not thousands all these years.

I’m going to say they aren’t, the residue from the propellants most likely makes them unusable for recycling.
I would think that a greater concern would be that the wall strength has been compromised from use.

I would think that a greater concern would be that the wall strength has been compromised from use.
I assumed the original question was about putting used motors into the conventional waste recycling streams - paper cases into the cardboard recycling bin, plastic in the plastic bin. You’re absolutely right about reuse as motor casings John, there’s a reason reloadable cases are made from aluminum! 😆

I think our only viable choices are to reuse as stands (as already mentioned) and building material or tossing them in the trash.

I've used SU 29mm motor cases to make adapters for 24mm engines. The built-in thrust ring makes them great for this. I don't use many SU 38mm motors, or I would make adapters for 29mm motors.
And, I confess, I've got a large "stash" of cases from burned motors, 18/24/29mm (including a bunch of Estes cardboard tubes). I have no idea why I'm holding on to them.

Does anyone (besides me) save the endcap (pog?) from Aerotech reload/SU tubes? What about the yellow cardboard shipping tubes?

I've used some of the smaller ones (13mm-24mm) and cut them up for motor blocks in lp rockets.

Also keep some for use as motor block spacers or when painting so the inside of the motor tube stays clean.

Also FWIW I've read that the motors are biodegradable.

I would assume the sorters aren't hired for their forward / critical thinking.

if they don't have the triangle / recycling designation, they are tossed. (They don't know what bin to put them in)

It often pains me to see old lawn furniture (and such) being tossed out (broken log typically) these are plastic, or some metal. But since "testing" them to see what kind of metal / plastic they are is time & resource consuming, it's easier to just "land-fill" them..

The fiberglass cases like AT uses for many of their HPR DMS motors can be re-used for EX. One simply cuts of the ends, pushes out the liners, assesses the case for any damage, and proceeds to load her up in a new, shorter configuration.

Any EX fliers out their could do well to salvage both these once used cases as we all as the nozzles that get dumped out of spent reloads. At any given launch, hundred or thousands of dollars worth of these items get tossed in trash bags.

I save all my spent casings and use them as couplers, engine blocks, properly weighted and balanced dummy engines, baffles and painting tools (when attached to a stick).

I think the Estes type cardboard casings are bio-degradable, and the clay plugs are benign. So if you have “organics recycling” in your area, and are allowed to add things like food waste and food-stained paper to your green waste bin, then I would think spent Estes motors could go in there and end up as commercial compost. Otherwise, it’s not the worst thing to end up in a landfill. It’s not suitable for paper recycling, s don’t toss it in regular recycling.

The plastic and fiberglass cases are not something that can go in a recycle bin either. You might be able to find a secondary use for them as others described. Otherwise, it goes to the landfill.

Back