Zn/S Motor Casing Possibilities

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PurpleRabbit75

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm fairly new to experimental rocketry, and I've been having some difficulties with my casings. For nitrate-sucrose propellants, I've found that wood-glued construction/poster paper wound around a dowel has worked fine, but a recent test with a Zinc-Sulfur propellant completely burned through my casing. Does anybody have any ideas concerning a better casing material? (Preferably a cheap one-- my budget is pretty limited)
Thanks!

Hi!
I'm fairly new to experimental rocketry, and I've been having some difficulties with my casings. For nitrate-sucrose propellants, I've found that wood-glued construction/poster paper wound around a dowel has worked fine, but a recent test with a Zinc-Sulfur propellant completely burned through my casing. Does anybody have any ideas concerning a better casing material? (Preferably a cheap one-- my budget is pretty limited)
Thanks!
First off KNO3 and Sucrose are not allowed, second neither is Zinc Sulpher and both are dangerous to you and the hobby.

Hi!
Thanks!
Zinc sulfur propellant is called micro grain and is extremely static sensitive. The RRS has a pit where you have to wear a flame suit to load zinc sulfur into your rocket. Extremely fast burn rate. Severe accidents have occurred with it. Sucrose based propellants are much safer but still have safety issues.
I know your on a budget, but small commercial motors are you best bet.

They are not allowed at NAR and Tripoli events. That is all. The OP lives in Turkey. He does not have the luxuries that you do.

PurpleRabbit75....have you reviewed these sites? They are full of good info that may be of use.

https://www.jacobsrocketry.com/https://www.nakka-rocketry.net/
I didn’t know the OP was from Turkey and was just enjoying the luxury of trying to keep him from getting badly burned or blown up, these propellents are banned by Tripoli & NAR for good reason, and not familiar with what luxuries are available in Turkey, or whatever rules or guidelines have to be followed there.

I didn’t know the OP was from Turkey and was just enjoying the luxury of trying to keep him from getting badly burned or blown up, these propellents are banned by Tripoli & NAR for good reason, and not familiar with what luxuries are available in Turkey, or whatever rules or guidelines have to be followed there.
Thank you for your concern! I'll bear it in mind.

Back