Rebuilt my old launch pad, now better for RC RGs!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tab28682

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Back in May, I decided to rebuilt my venerable and much used tripod launch stand, partly with an eye towards making it much better for RC RGs that use rail buttons.

I was given the heavy duty folding tripod in the early 1990s. For years it had a simple interface that could take 1/8, 1/4 and 3/16 rods. Eventually added the ability to use a 2 piece 84” 1010 rail. It was always a little wonky, though. Did not use it a lot, as I tended to mostly fly at organized launches.

I have some minor back pain and knee issues, so having the pad off the ground at a good work height was important to me. I like to stay off my knees…:)

I ran across some cool folding shelf brackets on Amazon that lit the light bulb over my head. Picture attached. Inexpensive at 14 bucks a pair. By using these brackets, I was able to click a lever that unlocked the bracket and allowed you to easily lay the rail down for horizontal loading at waist height. A win for me…:)

This setup is still a work in progress, but is nicely usable now. I have a couple of different styles of blast detectors that easily attach. The rail, hinged bracket and wooden block unbolt from the tripod with a single 1/4-20, so setup and tear down are fast. I can also install various sizes of launch rods on each side of the folding rail, for small rockets.

I have found that the vast majority of my rail launched RG RGs get away with plenty of velocity on one 42”section of the 1010 rail. I have the other 42” section of rail rigged to plug in and be snugged down with a set screw, for conventional rockets and heavier RC RGs.

There is a very small amount of side to side play in the hinge parts. I have a plan to remove that play in the near future.

The first pic shows the brackets folded and unfolded.

Link to the folding brackets:

https://www.amazon.com/Sumnacon-Stu...621965168&sr=8-2&th=1&psc=1&tag=forumyield-20

Attachments

• 58F2B56F-D503-4FF7-9AD2-3F4072EF89CE.jpeg
    58F2B56F-D503-4FF7-9AD2-3F4072EF89CE.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 30
  • E863AFA7-B8C4-40EB-8E58-C8E808EFCEFC.jpeg
    E863AFA7-B8C4-40EB-8E58-C8E808EFCEFC.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Very nice, Tom! Have been considering what to use for a rail to fly bigger rockets in my local park on high-thrust Ds (highest letter that's allowed there), and a tripod has to be a lot easier to carry out into the field than a jaw stand.

Very nice, Tom! Have been considering what to use for a rail to fly bigger rockets in my local park on high-thrust Ds (highest letter that's allowed there), and a tripod has to be a lot easier to carry out into the field than a jaw stand.

Yep. An old camera tripod would do OK, especially on D and smaller. Might have to anchor the feet. My old tripod has heavy solid steel legs. I have never seen another one like the old one I have.

Back