R/C Car Kit Recommendation?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darian Rachal

Reaction score
I know some of you have probably put together R/C car kits, so I thought I'd ask for a recommendation for a first kit. Tamiya has been recommended as having good parts and clear instructions, but I'm sure other companies produce some relatively simple kits, as well.

I am looking for something 1/10th 'on road', two(or maybe four) wheel drive, that I can put a brushless motor in. I'd probably just be running it around on parking lots.

Any suggestions are certainly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mr. Darian Rachal

I used to race F1 and M-Chassis classes in the TCS. Tamiya is the way to go. Traxxas does some pretty nice RTR stuff, but they mostly do dirt.

With Tamiya, you have a ton of body options, a great amount of hop up parts that are readily available.

I had a nitro rs4 for a while way back when, it was fast but nitro is nothing but annoying good choice going for electric. Idk if its your thing but i got back into rc cars for a little while ago and fell in love with my yokomo drift kit. I wish i hadnt sold it when i moved back east from phoenix.... Drift rc is crazy fun if you have the pavement. Other than that a few friends of mine were all very happy with tamiya, i had 2 traxxis rtr models that i wasnt totally happy with but they are great for the guy who doesnt have the time or want to build their own. Not to put down the traxxis rtr's but once youve had a yokomo, or tamiya its tough to go with any of the other ones lol.

Definitely go with an all wheel drive set up you wont be disappointed. One other thing to look at before getting a touring car setup is how much pavement you have around that is smooth and empty most the time. I kinda wished i would have bought a stadium truck, i would probably not have ended up selling my rc stuff when i moved out of town. Stadium trucks with road tires are a blast and even more so putting on something a little beefier and ramping ditches and chasing small animals lol.

Last edited:
Tamiya cars are durable but tend to provide entry level performance. If you are serious about racing I would look at XRAY, Kyosho or the Team Associated TC series.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd likely not be racing, just running the car by myself for fun. I notice that some Tamiya kits come with motors. I think I'd rather just supply my own.

Tamiya is okay. however i am a huge HPI guy. i run 2 different 1/8 trucks from the savage line. both are nitro. one is supercharged.RBK10533-5.jpg
as far as electric 1/10th scale Hpi has a pretty good selection.

https://www.hpiracing.com/
Phone: 949-753-1099

Last edited:
Back