Quote? What is your favorite quote?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history.”​
GEORGE ORWELL​

1984, Animal Farm, Brave New World, Martian Chronicles, Fahrenheit 451, and Watership Down are all classics and should remain mandatory reading for all students.

1984, Animal Farm, Brave New World, Martian Chronicles, Fahrenheit 451, and Watership Down are all classics and should remain mandatory reading for all students.
They aren’t, the only reason we are reading animal farm is because my English teacher is good.

They aren’t, the only reason we are reading animal farm is because my English teacher is good.
That is a shame, they are impactful books. We had a long lost of classics to read throughout high school which spanning various genres, world views, nationalities, and centuries. It is good to look outside our own bubbles and try to understand others.

In addition to the list above, I remember reading various works of Shakespeare, The Illiad and Odyssey, Beloved, Things Fall Apart, Wuthering Heights, The Canterbury Tales, Night and Dawn, Walden and Civil Disobedience, Catcher in the Rye, and others.

In addition to the list above, I remember reading various works of Shakespeare, The Illiad and Odyssey, Beloved, Things Fall Apart, Wuthering Heights, The Canterbury Tales, Night and Dawn, Walden and Civil Disobedience, Catcher in the Rye, and others.

All good books. There are so many. I also had good history teachers that exposed me to books on Theodore Rosevelt, William Jennings Bryan, and our founding fathers. My son was exposed to very little about our history unless it was from me. Dangerous precident.

That is a shame, they are impactful books. We had a long lost of classics to read throughout high school which spanning various genres, world views, nationalities, and centuries. It is good to look outside our own bubbles and try to understand others.

Catcher in the Rye was the second worst thing I had to slog through in high school, behind only The Red Badge of Courage. :shudder:

Here's everything you need to know about them:
  • Catcher in the Rye: Holden hates phonies.
  • Red Badge of Courage: Fake it 'till you make it.
There was a DS9 episode that was basically a retelling of The Red Badge of Courage (with Jake in the central role) and they did a heck of a lot better job.

Catcher in the Rye was the second worst thing I had to slog through in high school, behind only The Red Badge of Courage. :shudder:
I didn't enjoy Catcher in the Rye as much as others I have read. My least favorite was The Great Gatspy. I hated every single one of characters. That is part of the point, but I found it awful. I also did not enjoy Steinbeck's work. Yes, they are famous pieces desribing depression and post depression American, but I do not like his writing style. The hardest book for me to slog through was Beowulf due to the difficulty reading the Old English translation.

I didn't enjoy Catcher in the Rye as much as others I have read. My least favorite was The Great Gatspy. I hated every single one of characters. That is part of the point, but I found it awful. I also did not enjoy Steinbeck's work. Yes, they are famous pieces desribing depression and post depression American, but I do not like his writing style. The hardest book for me to slog through was Beowulf due to the difficulty reading the Old English translation.
I did not like Catcher in the Rye, but I learned a lot from reading it. Just two lessons to learn from it: what privilege is and running away never works.

I never had to read, and have not read, Gatsby. For Steinbeck, I've only read The Pearl, and found it forgettable; I've forgotten almost all of it. As for Hemmingway, all I've read is The Old Man and the Sea, and the best I can say about that is that it's short. But I did like Beowulf.

My favorite thing I ever read for High School English was Inherit the Wind.

My least favorite was The Great Gatspy. I hated every single one of characters. That is part of the point, but I found it awful.
*Fellow Great Gatsby hater fistbump* That book is tripe. So is The Scarlet Letter. I almost added A Tale of Two Cities to that list, but honestly, the last forty or so pages are a decent story if you can slog through the first two or three hundred.

I think the only novel I had to read for school that I liked was All Quiet on the Western Front, and I think the only author I developed an appreciation for from reading him for school was Edgar Allen Poe.

I should add that I read quite slowly, and was even slower then. Which means that no matter what I'm reading, it's work; I have to enjoy something a lot to be worth the effort, and back then the bar was a bunch higher than it is now. That colors my view of the stuff I had to read for school.

There's a flip side: everything goes at the same pace. Science and engineering text books and Shakespeare don't take me any longer than pulp sci-fi. Before college, I read for pleasure very rarely. The first time I ever just felt like reading a book and looked for one I'd enjoy, rather then encountering something I'd enjoy so much that it was worth the effort, was my freshman year at college. I read Vonda McIntyre's novelization of The Wrath of Khan, which is excellent. And that reminds me...

"A just society—and if I am not mistaken, the Federation considers itself to be just—employs a military for one reason alone: to protect its civilians. If we decide to judge that some civilians are ‘worth’ protecting, and some are not, if we decide we are too important to be risked, then we destroy our own purpose. We cease to be the servants of our society. We become its tyrants!"
-- Lt. Saavik (Vonda N. McIntyre)

I have read the odyssey and liked It, apparently she used to have us read Romeo and Juliet but the school found out and stopped her because it was apparently to adult.

In my day, and in my high school, almost all of us read Romeo and Juliet and Julius Caesar. Somehow I missed them, but did read Hamlet, King Lear, and The Merchant of Venice. I liked all of them.

(Everyone reads King Lear, but no one ever reads the less known companion piece, Prince Smirk.)

Books read at school for me were Brave New World, All Quiet on the Western Front, A Clockwork Orange, Macbeth. I recently read 1984 and think it was better than Brave New World, but then again I didn't have to review and discuss it :) . It is certainly good to get out of the normal genre of books. I have started reading some classics the past few years. There is certainly many great lines that can be used in this space.

"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might."​
HENRY DAVID THOREAU​

“Everybody knows if you are too careful you are so occupied in being careful that you are sure to stumble over something.”​
GERTRUDE STEIN​

Back