Quest Parts (Sorta T3) Optima on the way.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Trying to get my head back into doing some modeling over the last couple weeks.
I'm working on a new Downscale with a small twist. Some time ago I ordered a couple of each of the available Micro Parts from Quest Areospace website.
As suspected Bill has had his own size tubes made.
The motor fitting tube MMX1 is .257" ID x .277" OD sold in 6.0" lengths
His other size tube is MMX2 which is .372"ID x .392"OD also sold in 6.0" lengths.
there is a "motor tube" didn't get the number which states a .252" ID x .276"OD x 1.0" Long.
a Thrust ring .148"ID x .248" OD x a full .25" Long.
what they call a centering Sleeve: .278"ID x .370"OD x .5" long rolled cardboard with orange OD covering. Talk about heavy!
Most interesting is BNCMMX2: A Balsa Nose cone .392" OD x 1.0" long which is almost a perfect Scale match for the Estes PNC-80K used on so many popular Estes kits as the Optima, Pheonix, Shadow, and others.

MMWW Drawing is done, but I decided to use all Quest parts for this build instead of my usual Totally Tubular tube stock, motor mount and Flis rings. Because the Quest cone was so close in shape it was chosen over turning my own basswood cone. Fin material chosen is 3/64" aircraft Ply to help with the tiny forward strakes. 90lb kevlar and 1/2" x 12" yellow teflon streamer complete the inner workings.

Basic construction is complete;
I found the parts to be somewhat mismatched in that the centering sleeve as it comes from the manufacture is just a bit to tight to fit inside the MMX2 rather thin body tubing. Either I'm really getting ham-handed or these tubes are just a tad on the delicate side. I crimped the first tube badly trying to dry fit the sleeve. Taking a glit stick to the sleeve sanding the orange outer layer completely off the sleeve is a much better fit. using good Old Elmers white glue the sleeved motor mount with attached kevlar shock line installed as indicated. What I forgot about was that darn 1/4" long thrust ring. my motor will not stick out 1/4" instead of my preferred 1/8":(
Hollowed out the balsa NC added a 90lb kevlar loop with room for additional nose weight if needed later during swing testing. Hope to get some Primer on the model shortly. Photos well have to wait until I get the one or two a remember to take very late in the process once I get them out of the camera.
I'll try to upload a copy of the Drawing if it's small enough just to get things started.

View attachment MM 3xxc_Optima (T3) 2035_01-06-12.pdf

A great project that I've been meaning to do myself. I really enjoy seeing MMX downscales of classic kits. Perhaps I'll do a T3 Shadow version.

It's good to see you working on rockets again, thanks for the thread.

great idea on the optima !
Micro have you done any micro pop pods ? . I'm thinking of trying a pop pod bomarc
,, or do you have any pop pod drawing you could share that has the materials mentioned ?

...that darn 1/4" long thrust ring. my motor will stick out 1/4" instead of...

Yeah, that's a little 'gotcha' with the Quest parts.
I've been working though a stash of them myself and have found them workable.
My Alpha downscale and MMWW Drifter are made from Quest parts.

Nice Optima plan BTW.

Alpha.jpg

Drifter.jpg

Nice Optima plan BTW.

Those are fantastic! Great job on the finishes for those two.

great idea on the optima !
Micro have you done any micro pop pods ? . I'm thinking of trying a pop pod bomarc
,, or do you have any pop pod drawing you could share that has the materials mentioned ?

a couple Stymye:
I think the longest is in The T3 Scissor wing Transport. Teflon Tape streamer really helps get it to pop correctly. wrapping space between T2+ and T3 are pretty small.

Another sort of pop-pod..well ejecting motor pod anyway is in my Falcon BG.

The other Pop pod I really enjoy flying is in a T2++ .316" dia to T2+ pod in my Flying Jenny. it uses a standard 3/4" orange marker tape streamer.
Drawings for all three are in the files section over on the MicroMaxRockets Group.

Very Nice Micor Alpha & Drifter Huge Blues...Gotta love the Drifter..even on a streamer it wants to take off:)

MM 289a-sm_Micro Flyin Jenny_12-11-03.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Stymye!
She fly's OK on a single MMX-II but now the the A10-0t's are back I'm thinking I can chad stage it for a good bit better flight time:)

There is the only photo I have so far of the T3 Optima. just flat forgot to take any during assembly.

The dotted black lines indicate future Crease Lines @ the scaled 3pc Body seams which will service as color break lines during finishing. Hope to do some priming shortly. Maybe this weekend?

MM 385uc01a_MM Optima (QuestMMX2.392in x 6.8125in)_01-26-12.jpg

Nice Optima plan BTW.

There's a simple solution to such a problem :) hint, hint, nudge, nudge... :D

On order... I will keep folks posted as to when they arrive. Will be stocking NCB-3K and NCB-5K, fwiw :)

jim

How KEWL is that!
I'll place an order for the NCB-3k's when they arrive. Too cool! That should really help with a couple already in the pipeline.... T3 Phoenix will be one.

Thanks for all you do!

what they call a centering Sleeve: .278"ID x .370"OD x .5" long rolled cardboard with orange OD covering. Talk about heavy!

Sounds like they provide a good piece of 'stock' for slicing off small pieces of centering ring with a razor saw? (Alternatively, support the inside diam with a spent motor case or wooden dowel mandrel and 'roll' an Xacto blade over the outer diam?)

Sounds like they provide a good piece of 'stock' for slicing off small pieces of centering ring with a razor saw? (Alternatively, support the inside diam with a spent motor case or wooden dowel mandrel and 'roll' an Xacto blade over the outer diam?)

Well rolling around the mandrel with an Xacto blade, Razor saws make such a mess on rolled cardboard casings;)
Cutting 1/8" or 3/16" wide sections a shapened/stropped blade does a much cleaner job.
Razor saws do a great job on the old MMX-I plastic casings for motor stops.

Found the Photo I knew I took of the Quest Parts.

Quest Micro Maxx Parts_04-02-11.JPG

How KEWL is that!
I'll place an order for the NCB-3k's when they arrive. Too cool! That should really help with a couple already in the pipeline.... T3 Phoenix will be one.

Thanks for all you do!

Quick update. I hope to have these avail this weekend, so stay tuned :)

Flis, if you're taking requests, I'd love to see scale Nike Smoke, Pac-3, DX3.... I'd palce an an order RIGHT NOW.

Your kits are awesome, just finished your Honest John...looks superb:cool:. Couple others of yours in work, should have them wrapped up this weekend..

Flis, if you're taking requests, I'd love to see scale Nike Smoke, Pac-3, DX3.... I'd palce an an order RIGHT NOW.

Your kits are awesome, just finished your Honest John...looks superb:cool:. Couple others of yours in work, should have them wrapped up this weekend..

Do we have access to those shapes or specifications?

Scoop55
If your looking for Nike-smoke in T2+, T3, T4 or 13mm. Scale Page Page plans are available for download in the files section of the MicroMaxRockets Group.
Personally my suggestion is T3 (.375"od) for best MMX motor performance and detailing:)

Scoop55
If your looking for Nike-smoke in T2+, T3, T4 or 13mm. Scale Page Page plans are available for download in the files section of the MicroMaxRockets Group.
Personally my suggestion is T3 (.375"od) for best MMX motor performance and detailing:)
Thanks!! I'm on it.

Wait....are you saying I'd have to build it from scratch, as in not pre-kitted? Whoa, that would be a first for me.:eek: Lemme go see....

Thanks!! I'm on it.

Wait....are you saying I'd have to build it from scratch, as in not pre-kitted? Whoa, that would be a first for me.:eek: Lemme go see....

LOL! Yes they are layed out as one page plans with all the necessary info to produce the model from materials you provide. you want to turn the long nosecone from something a little harder then balsa, I suggest basswood or even a hardwood dowel.

The fins can be printed on heavy cardstock as they are made the same way the full size vehicle fins are fabricated from 1/8" aluminium sheet using cardstock and a little CA.

Weekend Paint time was good to me. got all three colors masked sprayed and striped. Have to layout and print the decals, cut and apply some red metal flake and Chrome silver adhesive backed vinyl to complete the job.

MM 385uc02_Optima Primed & 3color Painted_02-20-12.jpg

Very nice John, I actually like the broken text effect. Should be a nice flyer.

Very nice John, I actually like the broken text effect. Should be a nice flyer.

Thanks Jeff;
I have to admit...the broken text does bothers me a bit, but they were an experiment of sorts. I may leave it alone...then again I might just run another set off the alps or inkjet later.. a few too many irons (PMC's) in the fire at the moment to mess with it.

Weekend time paint has been good to me. all three colors painted masks and stripes. Love the layout and printing labels cut, and some red metal powder and Silver Chrome self adhesive vinyl are to complete the work.

Back