• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Quest Aztec

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

by basher

Reaction score
This was a straight-forward build. Nothing trick.

Plan on flying on calm late afternoon with b6-0/c6-7. Will use three cameras to try for cool sustainer ignition pics.

Here it is:

CORRECTION: CUSTOM ROCKETS AZTEC :)

Nice looking flyer! Hope you get it back, it doesn't take much to motivate that little wonder.

Nice rocket! But I would go with a C6-0 -> B6-4/6.

Originally posted by Karl
Nice rocket! But I would go with a C6-0 -> B6-4/6.

Why?

I ALWAYS prefer B6-0 ->C6-7 for higher altitude flights. Gives you the same or more altitude than the combo you suggested, and the booster lands a lot closer and is easier to find.

No way that a 4 sec delay is long enough for that little bird on 2 stages.

call me chicken but on little 2 stagers I like B6-0 -> A8-5

Originally posted by cls
call me chicken but on little 2 stagers I like B6-0 -> A8-5

lol.

For little ones, I usually put in a pair of B's. I don't think the full effect is realized if you only have a 1/2 second burn after staging. My favorite effect is the B6-C6 stage, where it lifts off, stages low where it is visible, and then disappears on the long(er) burning C motor. On my current favorite 2 stage rocket, however, that means a LONG walk (Quest Navajo AGM)

Originally posted by cjl
Why?

I ALWAYS prefer B6-0 ->C6-7 for higher altitude flights. Gives you the same or more altitude than the combo you suggested, and the booster lands a lot closer and is easier to find.

Ideally I would like to use C6-0 to a C6-5. I like that extra long burn from the booster, that’s what its supposed to do! :p

Originally posted by Karl
Ideally I would like to use C6-0 to a C6-5. I like that extra long burn from the booster, that’s what its supposed to do! :p
Well, yes, but if I'm boosting on anything less than full power, I shrink the booster first, because I like for it to stage low where I can see it, and the booster stage is easier to find.

Originally posted by rokitflite
Umm, thats a CUSTOM ROCKETS Aztec, not a Quest.

??? Oops. Good catch.

After the pictures, it's definitely going up on a c6-0/c6-7. :D

Originally posted by cjl
Well, yes, but if I'm boosting on anything less than full power, I shrink the booster first, because I like for it to stage low where I can see it, and the booster stage is easier to find.
I've been doing this more and more lately. I like to see the staging, too, although with this little bird, on a B to a C, it's still gonna be a ways up there when it stages.

I've been using my limited stash of C11-0's to stage to D12's and E9's on some of my larger 2-stage MR's. It makes it more fun when you can see the separation.

Did you add any noseweight to the Aztec? IIRC, it needs a bit.

BTW, if you have any A10-0's, they'll work great for this rocket, too, and make for even more dramatic flying. Once they clear the rod and the thrust tapers off, they tend to linger until the sustainer lights.

I saw an Aztec flown on a C to C at a DARS launch a few years ago. Bob "Cochran" Wilson played fire and forget with it. I tracked the booster and recovered it. The sustainer was eventually found...about three months later somebody turned it in at a launch, still on good shape, believe it or not.

Doug

I would love to have a supply of A10-0's. I've been staging my mini fleet with b6-0's and needless to say, they're just plain gone off the pad.

Originally posted by by basher
I would love to have a supply of A10-0's. I've been staging my mini fleet with b6-0's and needless to say, they're just plain gone off the pad.
Yeah, for B6-0's, your 2-stagers need to be in the size range of a Quest Navaho. They're heavy enough and draggy enough to not be out of sight at booster burnout, but light enough to have good rod speed.

Basically, you gotta tailor your fleet to the motors available :(

But that's OK, there's still lots of fun stuff you can do. I just wouldn't fly my vintage Apogee II on a B-booster without calm winds and lots of helper eyes :)

Literally, given Rocksim's proliferation, the state of the art rocketeer can now pick a motor and then start designing the perfect rocket for it, testing different fin shapes for drag and staging altitude. I've designed several rockets for a variety of OOP motors I've obtained such as AVI D6.1-0 boosters.

Doug

I'm on my third Aztec. I usually fly them on B6-0 -> A8-5, sometimes on B6-0 -> B6-6. They usually get beat up after about a dozen flights, then they become ependable. In that case I fly them C6-0 -> C6-7. I am 0 for 2 in finding the upper stage after this combo.

...Fred

I LOVE the B6-0 to C6-7 in my Comanche, and it's great in my Navaho too (although it goes a bit high in my Navaho - I usually have to stick to a pair of B's).

Back