"Pushing the Envelope" at my little launch field

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacepirate R

Reaction score
Very light winds this morning and since I am still hunting for jobs why not enjoy the sunrise with some rockets in the air?:D

A couple of weeks ago I tried my Semroc Goblin with a 10" chute (trash bag) on a B6-4 and it flew beautifully, so today I sent it up on a C6-5 (I am currently out of C11-5s). It roared way up and I could barely see it (a common theme today as you will see) but the chute did not unfurl!:y: It still had some drift in the higher altitude breeze and it landed on the dirt and rocks. It only loosened a fin so my Goblin will get some more glue on it.

Next up was my Estes Blue Ninja on a D12-3. This is a solid performing rocket and it has always flown well. Nice and high with a good landing.

I then launched my Semroc Spartan on it's second flight. The first was on an A8-3 and it did not go too high, so today it went up on a B6-4. Whoosh! I could just see it up there. Very high, but it slowly drifted back safe and sound.

I did the same with my Semroc Astro-1 (B6-4). I don;t know if it went higher than the Spartan but it went way up. It took it's time coming down but it landed only 20' from the pad.:D

Last was what has become one of my favorite rockets; the Semroc Lil' Ivan! It loves B6-4s and it did another beautiful flight this morning.

So, I have learned that I can fly thin rockets in the over 12"/Under 24" length range on B engines at this field. Thicker ones (Like Der Red Max) fly with in sight on Bs, but my Spartan and Astro-1 went as if they were my Goblin on a C.

My poor Goblin just keeps getting uglier and uglier. I'll keep it going though.:D

Back