quick backyard launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caheaton

Reaction score
Winds were dead calm this evening near sunset, so I took the opportunity to give my latest builds....Estes Hex-3 & Zinger E2X their maiden flights. It was my intention for these to be backyard fliers and they didn't disappoint.

First up was the Hex-3 an an A10-PT. Perfect straight up flight with a couple minor wobbles, arced over and landed maybe 5 feet from the pad. I estimate it hit maybe 40 feet or so...definitely made it higher than our 2 story house ;-) .

Next up was the Hex-3 again, but on a B6-0. This one hit maybe 50 feet, but was still climbing vertically when the "ejection" charge went off. I think I enjoy plugged engines more....that fireball is kinda scary when it comes out of a card stock rocket LOL. It landed about 15 feet from the pad.

Final launch was the Zinger on a 1/4A3-3T. Rocket flew nice and straight, but slowed notably during coast. It traveled about 40 feet, with ejection at around 25 to 30 feet. It landed about 20 feet from the pad. Next time I'll give a 1/2A3 a go, as it should work fine with no wind.

Overall very satisfying for those times when I don't have time to travel to any of my regular fields! :)

Your backyard launches made more sense than the time I launched a 12 inch tall BT-50 rocket with an E-12-6 on New Years on a cloudy night, it was a dead straight flight and was still thrusting after it disappeared into the clouds. Lost it but it sure sounded cool!

Back