Only 98 days until July 4th, so I of course had my fireworks stash delivered already. Anyone else into putting on pyro shows?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If only it were legal here.......

But that doesn't stop folks from making runs down to South of the Border and slipping back north Dukes of Hazard style on the back roads. The piece of my neighborhood just a few streets over spends some serious coin. Cops don't really seem to care, as long as things don't catch on fire.

Did a small show for the family every July 4 for 20+ years. Started with just a few cakes and shells in the 90s, grew to 40-odd cakes, a dozen fountains, and a 5-gallon Cremora pot or two. Consumer shells are a royal pain for a show unless you have a lot of mortars.

Fireworks are legal where I live, but we have a small yard. Fountains and 200g cakes are safe and I'll light a few with my son. I used to do professional displays all season long, but I think those days are behind me now.

I used to with the first family. Everyone enjoyed it. I enjoyed doing it. After the big D I just never got back into it. Also with the changing of laws and kinds that are "lawful" it's just not the same.

Consumer shells are a royal pain for a show unless you have a lot of mortars.
Can confirm. Just finished this project today because I will never reload during a show ever again. Shooting a few at a time with friends and family and the box of shells a safe distance away is one thing. Keeping them nearby while firing a show is crazy.

356 mortars here (we purchased 144 more shells since my original post ). Some in milk crates. Some in wood racks. The ones the kits came with were screwed to two by sixes.
We’ve got 72 double brake canister shells, shells with comet tails, shells with whistling tails, shells with mine effects mixed in with the lift charge… these consumer fireworks have come a long way over the years. Like I said, I used to do this professionally, and these things impress me.
IMG_9810.jpeg

Last edited:
Can confirm. Just finished this project today because I will never reload during a show ever again. Shooting a few at a time with friends and family and the box of shells a safe distance away is one thing. Keeping them nearby while firing a show is crazy.
I used to work on a lot of professional displays. I'd hand fire all the time, but drew the line at reloading during a show. It's fine if it is open shooting during a club event but dangerous and just hard to keep an entertaining pace for a public display.

I used to work on a lot of professional displays. I'd hand fire all the time, but drew the line at reloading during a show. It's fine if it is open shooting during a club event but dangerous and just hard to keep an entertaining pace for a public display.
When I was very young doing a backyard show, I reached into a box of about thirty Festival Balls to grab some reloads when I noticed about half their fuses were sizzling away having been ignited by smoldering fallout. Mayem ensued.

Back