Proof of concept "Yo, Certify Dis, Too"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PayLoad

I don't do spirals
Reaction score
Proof of concept for my Level 2 Certification

Not a new idea by any means, but not seen often in model rocketry (not that I can recall seeing them at all) but instead of using the outer skin of the rocket as your supporting framework, having an endoskeleton framework covered by a thin skin

Planning on using a 38mm J RMS, based on my Level 1 Certification rocket “Yo Certify Dis”.

Anyone do anything like this on a smaller rocket such as this?

Ive seen it in larger rockets. A huge Fat Boy flew in Canada using a skin of thin polycarbonate I believe. On the way up the sheet let go and flattened out and fluttered down. It was pretty impressive.

Proof of concept for my Level 2 Certification

Not a new idea by any means, but not seen often in model rocketry (not that I can recall seeing them at all) but instead of using the outer skin of the rocket as your supporting framework, having an endoskeleton framework covered by a thin skin

Planning on using a 38mm J RMS, based on my Level 1 Certification rocket “Yo Certify Dis”.

Anyone do anything like this on a smaller rocket such as this?
Not a smaller rocket, but that's how the 3/4 Mercury Redstone was built. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work.

https://mdrocketry.org/mercury-redstone/

This is a cert flight. If your skin falls off, the certification fails. Better to cert conventionally and then do the skin job.
My opinion. Your mileage may vary.
Brad

Back