My Wildly Overcomplicated Level 1 Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's because the material (at least at ply and laminate scales) you're working with is orthotropic. The interactions between plies in the laminate can produce non intuitive (at least to me) behavior of the plate under load, just based on the stacking sequence you choose (and ultimately, what you actually manufactured).
Okay that makes a lot of sense. The first one I did was symmetric but VERY imbalanced. I aligned the plies with the leading and trailing edges and had a ply or 2 perpendicular with the root chord. Also I just watched your flight video for your last project and it was beautiful! Thanks for the help, you and all of the other TRF'ers have been a huge help!

Okay that makes a lot of sense. The first one I did was symmetric but VERY imbalanced. I aligned the plies with the leading and trailing edges and had a ply or 2 perpendicular with the root chord.
For warped flat panel, I would pay way more attention to symmetry than balance - what you describe shouldn't have caused the warping. My bet is you had one or more plies which had some fibers which weren't quite straight, or the ply itself wasn't straight when it was laid up.

To get symmetry that's good enough to keep thin fin material flat, you have to be meticulous when manufacturing. Fibers go in exactly the directions you designed (I mark guide lines, usually when I'm cutting material and then the square/rectangular plies go exactly on top of each other) and you follow your (symmetric) layup schedule to a T.

Progress!!
I finally have moved past the plug making stage and am starting on the NC mold. I think this was at least my 5th attempt at making a suitable plug. And 3 of which I polished before deciding it wasn't worthy. Trust me polishing 3 plugs is NOT fun. But the quality of this plug is pretty good. Not perfect but I don't thing I'll every achieve something I am 100% happy with. I am still having trouble getting the NC tip perfectly concentric and "round". So the tip isn't perfect, about 0.01" out of round. Since it's going to get replaced by aluminum I have learned to live with it. 20231025_140732.jpg
Inside the parting board
20231026_175445.jpg
Ready for gelcoat
20231027_212156.jpg
First gelcoat layer
I scratched the parting board up a little when I sanded the epoxy flush. I might go back with the finest coat of epoxy on the mating face before the other side of the mold. Today when I get home I will apply a second coat of gelcoat and maybe fabric once that layer greens. Or maybe I'll add 3 layer of gelcoat. Still haven't decided. For the fabric layer I'm going to add 2 layers fiberglass matt 2 layers 4oz 2 layers 6oz 4 layers 18oz.

Also I am 2/3 the way done with the t2t. Again they aren't perfect but they will do. I am happy with the fin stiffness. I really doubt I will see any flutter. I trimmed the fabric while it was green so that the leading edge was exposed. It will get a thin layer of epoxy sanded, then I'll mask the fin off so only the leading edge is exposed and some slightly thickened dyed epoxy will be added(mostly for aesthetics).
20231022_210025.jpg
Carbon Fiber wet up and sandwiched by wax paper to keep the fabric from fraying.
20231019_220336.jpg
Fabric on with a layer of peel-ply
20231019_221251.jpg
Vacuum bagged with shop towel bleeder
IMG_1702.jpg
Trimmed and cured
I also have the tower 80% complete, I designed it but it is very much based on @GrouchoDuke 3d printed design here. I added a center support, that way it could be 6ft rather than 4ft. Also added supports top and bottom machined out of some 1/4" aluminum plate I had laying around. Just need to cut some EMT conduit and install all of the hardware. It's going to piggy back off of a 1010 launch rail.
Untitled drawing (10).jpg
Launch Tower

I might have to scrub again and delay until the December launch at SCORE. I still have 3 weeks before the final Tripoli Colorado launch, but after putting in this much work I see no reason to rush something as important as the NC (I decided against the 3d printed NC for multiple reasons). I'm not sure if I have mentioned this before but I ended up switching over to featherweight electronics. All of that fantastic data Adrian posts about drew me in. I think they will be worth every penny. I have started designing the ebay, but won't finalize anything until I have the NC in hand. One thing I'm unsure of, if I put the battery(2 200ish mah 1s "stick" battery) parallel and directly next to the antenna, will that greatly effect range? I plan to test it, but if anyone has any input that would be appreciated. It will also be directly next to a #6 threaded steel rod.
-James

Update:
Mold is done! After much work I think the mold is good enough. Still a little rough around the edges but I'm really pleased with it. In hindsight I should have used a more dense foam (I used 4lb/ft^3). But I think it will be more than okay.
20231029_155945.jpg
First layup
20231105_094235.jpg
2nd half of mold ready for layup. I added 1/32" tig wire with the intention of pulling them out and having channels for excess epoxy to escape. I knew there was a high chance of them not coming out. And they didn't. No harm no foul I'll do something different next time.
20231111_195257.jpg
Finalish product. Still needs a bit of clean up but i drilled holes for the locating pins and 4 holes for 1/4-20 bolts. Ill also have it clamped in 2 other locations. I got a little worried when I realized how close the holes were to the mold so I decided that clamps were a little safer. Prepping all the fabric and the mold tmrw, then I'm laying the mold up on Monday fingers crossed. I'll report back with pictures.

Good news and bad news...
I did the layup of the NC yesterday and demolded today. First the good news, the NC finish is great! It looks really solid and all of the time I spent on the plug definitely shows. Also under 15psi the mold did not blow up. The excess epoxy did escape between the 2 mold faces so the part came out super light and reasonably strong. The bladder and NC itself released pretty easy as well. Now onto the bad news, the pins I used for alignment didn't get waxed. Just wasn't thinking about it, got a little to excited and sent it. Luckily with a little elbow grease I got the mold to release 0.25". Which leads us to our second piece of bad news. I for some reason decided that I should leave the pins long. So long in fact that the pins were around 4" long. That means the pins were 2" inside of either side of the mold. And again they weren't waxed. Long story short I had to take a flat head screw driver to it. It did mar the surface of the mold a bit right by the pins. Really unfortunate but it's not horrible... Just felt like I was kicking myself in the nuts while doing it... I did end up getting them apart. I'll adjust the pins so they only stick 1/4" or so into either side of the mold so they release easy. Also I need to refine the way I stencil and cut the pieces of fabric out. So far I've been using a vacuum bag to get the shape then tracing and cutting the fabric. It was really difficult to get the fabric aligned properly inside the mold, so some areas only have 2 or 3 layer of fabric. Overall, I'm really stoked on the results, if anyone wants anymore details about the mold or process just let me know. And any tips on cutting and aligning the fabric would be super helpful.20231114_164254.jpg20231114_165443.jpg20231114_165859.jpg
(sorry for lack of pictures, got a tiny case of go fever. Next go around I'll take some better pictures)

Big update. I finished the rocket and launched last Saturday on an I280DM. Didn't exactually go to plan to say the least. First though I'll go finish the build thread in light detail.
Nosecone
I misted the fiberglass with 3M spray adhesive. This made the layup significantly easier as it wasn't shedding the fibers. I also tightened the clamps before inflating the bladder, which helped significantly with the roundness. After this a used some Bondo spot putty and filler primer to fill all of the pin holes before painting and clear coating. I used a aluminum tip from a wildman 38mm NC which worked out well I think. The electronics bay screwed into the tip. Side note, I snowboard and last season my board delaminated in a small spot on the edge, the manufacture replaced the board with no hassle and let me keep the old one. I thought I could use some laminating resin to patch it, and after 3 days snowboarding on it, it's held up. So I got a free early seasons board!
20231123_154924.jpg20231123_160049.jpg
20231124_191601.jpg20231123_154550.jpg
E-Bay
The electronics bay held 2 150mah batteries a featherweight gps and blue raven. I initially designed it to be 3d printed but my printer crapped out on me mid print so after some redesigning I used some G10. A 1/4"-20 bolt is epoxied into the the G10 which screws into the tip of the nosecone. The Kevlar runs through the ebay and gets tied to that bolt, and is ziptied to the g10 in various spots to keeps in from hitting any electronics. I also have 2 magnetics switches for the gps and raven.
20231216_104456.jpg20231216_104448.jpg
Camera
Camera bay has a runcam thumb and 2s battery with a 5v buck convertor to step the voltage down.
Recovery
I had a main 24" parachute and a drogue 9" parachute. Unfortunately during deployment testing I may have forgotten the Nomex so the main had to be patched in several spots. Worked fine though. The main was shoved into the nosecone and drogue into body section. I used a single sep dual deploy system stolen from robopup.
Finishing
To finish the rocket I sanded to 1500 grit then polished the it with a medium cut and polishing compound. The fins were very sharp so I slightly dulled them with 320 grit.
20231215_095700.jpg20231215_232244.jpg
The flight
Good and bad in the flight, and a lot of confusion which I'm hoping someone has some answers for. The tower was attached to the to the 1010 rail, and rocket loaded into the tower. However as soon as the rocket launched and came out of the tower it did 2 flips, then as soon as the motor burned out it flew very straight. My inital assumption was that I had mismeasured the CG of the rocket the night before (1am) and it wasn't stable until after the motor burned out. Obviously failed the certification. Had a successful recovery and honestly I'm not to upset, becuase I was deathly afraid of losing it. After getting home however I double checked the CG and contrary to my inital assumption it is perfectly stable. With a a caliber of stability of around 3 with motor loaded. I doubled triple checked the CG and weight. I simmed it in both RasAero and OpenRocket, both confirmed it would have a stable and clean flight. Therefore, I am inclined to believe it was an issue with the motor. Perhaps the motor was creating an off axis thurst. I seriously can't think of anything else that may have caused this. The tower shows no signs of impact with the fins or any part of the body. I have had a few days to reflect and still have no idea what went wrong. Luckily though all of this there was no damage to the rocket, and it had a nice soft landing on the snow. I attached the onboard footage and ground footage below. Any ideas to why this could have happened would be extremely helpful.
View attachment VID_100100707_203922_164.mp4
View attachment Thumb0014 - Trim - Trim (1).mp4
Thanks,
James

Attachments

• 20231124_191559.jpg
    20231124_191559.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
This is only a guess, but I'd suggest that this was a stability issue. I don't see any evidence of significant off-axis thrust in the video as the rocket is starting the loops. I point the finger at stability because the fins are pretty tiny. The part that sticks out past the boundary layer is small and may not have had enough control authority to keep the rocket stable. I'm not sure how to determine that analytically before flight though without just using some rules of thumb (fin span, tip chord, etc.).

1702929434828.jpeg

First off, great job with the build and the nosecone in particular!

I agree with @boatgeek - I think this is a stability issue - rocket was unstable with loaded motor, after the motor burned out cg had moved forward enough for the rocket to become stable, and luckily it happened to be pointing mostly up.

In general, the two things that didn't/don't pass the eye test for me are 1) in your original Rasaero image (I know this is a different motor, but my point still stands), both your Cg and Cp look way farther forward than I usually see on my rockets where the motor goes into the nosecone and 2) those fins just look so small. I think "stability margin" and fin span as compared to body tube diameter are great numbers to watch for initial design, but it's no guarantee that the actual flight will be stable.

At the end of the day, the fins have to have enough area to generate the restorative force, and there's just not a lot of area on these. Was there any wind that day?

Last edited:
Agreed on the mechanism. Small fins can work if the angle of attack is small. Once the AoA goes too far the fins don't see much clear air. A rocket like this can launch well on a calm day but be very unpredictable if it gets any crosswind or wind shear on the way up.

Thanks for the input guys. Here's a updated RasAero screenshot with this motor and snapshot of stability margin. CG is 32.3
Screenshot 2023-12-18 133733.png
Screenshot 2023-12-18 134221.png
First off, great job with the build and the nosecone in particular!

I agree with @boatgeek - I think this is a stability issue - rocket was unstable with loaded motor, after the motor burned out cg had moved back far enough for the rocket to become stable, and luckily it happened to be pointing mostly up.

In general, the two things that didn't/don't pass the eye test for me are 1) in your original Rasaero image (I know this is a different motor, but my point still stands), both your Cg and Cp look way farther forward than I usually see on my rockets where the motor goes into the nosecone and 2) those fins just look so small. I think "stability margin" and fin span as compared to body tube diameter are great numbers to watch for initial design, but it's no guarantee that the actual flight will be stable.

At the end of the day, the fins have to have enough area to generate the restorative force, and there's just not a lot of area on these. Was there any wind that day?
There was 0 wind that day, wind was predicted to be no higher than 5mph all day.
So if I understand correctly, even though the stability margin is "stable", that doesn't necessarily tell the whole story? How would you compare stability margin fin span and body tube diameter? This is why I love this hobby, always something else to learn and it's always no nuanced. Going forward I think I'll rewrap a the airframe and cutoff the fins (back 4ish" of airframe) and save the old airframe for another project I have in mind (I1299 build). Any general rules of thumb for fin size?

Additionally do I need to increase both span or just area? Can I just increase the length of the tip/root chord?

Additionally do I need to increase both span or just area? Can I just increase the length of the tip/root chord?
Personally, I would increase the tip chord to at least 75% of the body diameter and increase the span to 1.1 times body diameter. I would also look carefully at the sim to see what the stability is over time. OR often calculates CP at Mach 0.3 or so, which may not be representative of the rocket straight off of the pad.

There was 0 wind that day, wind was predicted to be no higher than 5mph all day.
So if I understand correctly, even though the stability margin is "stable", that doesn't necessarily tell the whole story? How would you compare stability margin fin span and body tube diameter?
Correct, not telling the whole story. It's easy to make stuff look stable in a sim, but the sim doesn't ever capture everything that's going:
  • First off, the simulation tools we use are just models, it's not hard to be outside simplifying assumptions on physics based models, or to be extrapolating on empirical models. Add margin because of this or understand the models you're working with.
  • Dynamic stability - I think OR does some of this (but it's still a model). I'd play around with what kind of wind gust your rocket can handle coming out of the tower (I'd bet it's not much). It may not have been windy on the ground when you flew, but there could have been something 50 ft off the ground. Worst case, this hopefully will give you some intuition into how your fins might handle imperfect conditions.
  • Consider other items your model isn't capturing - off axis Cg, slightly off axis thrust (which you'd mentioned), maybe your tower rails aren't dead straight, there's all sorts of stuff here than could require your fins to have to provide more restorative force than your model predicts.
My rules of thumb are that I start with fins which have a span which has at least 1 body tube diameter (4 fins) or 1.25 (3 fins). Then I iterate on stability margin (as a function of time) to make sure things stay above at least two. Separate from stability, I also like longer roots which keeps my areas higher. This has worked pretty well for me the last few years, but it's not a particularly rigorous analysis or optimization, they're just rules of thumb that work okay for me (still, see all the dynamic stuff going on in my two stager this fall, so not necessarily that well), YMMV...

Last edited:
One more thing on the motor, I noticed something was in the spent case. I pulled out chunks of metal from the engine. This maybe perfectly normal, this is my first experience with solid motor. Also the nozzle appeared to erode kinda weird. Sorry the motor is still nagging the back of my mind. Would I be crazy to buy a G motor and launch it with current fins before the next club launch(my parents have a bit of land up in the hills.) Thanks to everyone for sharing your experience and knowledge its a huge help.20231218_185156.jpg20231218_185205.jpg20231218_185222 (1).jpg

James --

I 'lost' your thread until yesterday.

This is an amazing build !

Your advanced construction techniques were excellent, especially that nose cone !

The metal you found in the motor may be normal slag from the I280DM MetalStorm Motor

I've got nothing to add as far as the apparent instability -- @robopup, @OverTheTop and @boatgeek covered everything very well.

Something does not 'feel' right with the sims and the small fins and their location forward of the aft end of the rocket.

One Q I can think to ask is how far did the motor extend below the tail of the airframe when you flew the I280DM ?

Maybe one stupid Q: were the fins absolutely straight ?

Would you be willing to share your final OpenRocket -and-or- RasAero file(s) ?

Thanks.

-- kjh

Here's how I think I understand it, radically simplified into something one can use easily(ish).

What you should focus on is the area of the fin that's beyond the boundary layer. The boundary layer is <xx> thick, so the portion of the fin that's within <xx> of the airframe isn't doing you any good. Your tiny fins have only a little bit of area beyond the <xx> think boundary.

With that, and if my understanding is right, and given a value for <xx> which I am totally unable to provide, you can see for yourself what you'd want to do. If you keep the same root and tip chords and just extend the span, you get long, skinny fins that will probably flutter badly. If you keep the span and just increase the chords then you get nothing but really tall strakes. So increase both, in order to have a reasonably shaped fin with enough area where it counts.

People, both the big guys and the hobbyists, have been doing this so long that they've settled in on solutions that work well. When you think of a "normal" or "typical" looking rocket, it looks that way because over a century of experience has shown that it works, so lots of rockets are build that way, so we see lots of pictures of rockets that look that way, and that's what we're used to, what we call "normal". If it looks normal, it's likely to be OK. If it looks odd, it may well be problematic. By the "looks normal" test, you're fins are too darn small.

Also the nozzle appeared to erode kinda weird.
What looks weird? It's almost perfectly circular. I do see that little chip at about 12:30 in the picture, but to my totally unqualified eye that looks miniscule and trivial.
Would I be crazy to buy a G motor and launch it with current fins before the next club launch(my parents have a bit of land up in the hills.
"Crazy" depends on the field conditions and the G motor's initial thrust. If you'll get sufficient guide exit speed, and you're very confident of successful and undamaged recovery, then no, it wouldn't be crazy. But I strongly suspect it would be a waste of time (and a G motor).

And finally, this: at the outset of this thread and build, you acknowledged that you are well aware of the KISS principle and that this "wildly overcomplicated" build might not be a good idea for a cert rocket, and that you were willing to take the risk. So, OK, you took the risk with eyes open, and it didn't work out. Nothing wrong with that. Now go build a normal looking rocket and get that cert.

nozzle is fine
yes you found some slag, normal

base problem: Fins way too small. they never had a chance to fix whatever caused some out of vertical movement to start with. The rocket motor, in full control of the fun, went with it and looped the rocket because the fins had no authority to correct it, as explained in the above posts.

my advice to people building well outside the tried and trued is to be cautious. This was definitely not what I would have advised for a certification. Perhaps walking into it with a series of diminishing fin sizes would have shown where the boundary point is. All I can really say is that your firmly crossed it :>

good luck on the next try.

One last piece of advice: trust the sim and the measured weight/CG input, but also verify before flight. In the all-up configuration, balance the rocket on your hand to make sure that the actual CG is where you expect it to be relative to CP. It only takes a few seconds, and can save your bacon. I also check all-up weight if I'm close to weight limits (1500g Class 1 or 5:1 TTW). We work off of motor weight and CG databases, and every so often there's an error in there.

Okay thanks for all of the responses guys, I really appreciate it. To address some individual things.
The metal you found in the motor may be normal slag from the I280DM MetalStorm Motor
Good to know, like I said, first time using solid motors so it was easy to point to finger at.
One Q I can think to ask is how far did the motor extend below the tail of the airframe when you flew the I280DM ?
It rested on the thrust ring so the motor stuck out about 1/2"
Maybe one stupid Q: were the fins absolutely straight ?
About as straight as I could get them, I used a 3d printed jig and then double checked level with a digital level.
Would you be willing to share your final OpenRocket -and-or- RasAero file(s) ?
Both attached, ignore the lack of anything (parachutes NC weights etc) in open rocket. CG and mass was input manually from "real world".
By the "looks normal" test, you're fins are too darn small.
Thanks for simplifying it. I don't know why I'm having trouble swallowing this but you guys are definitely right.

I'm not giving up on this project yet. I'm going to wrap another aft airframe, slap some bigger fins on there and give her hell. Thanks again for the help and compliments, no amount of reading/researching can makeup for lack of experience so you sharing your experience means a lot.
-James

Attachments

• 38mm Min Diameter.CDX1
    8.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 38mm Min.ork
    1.9 KB · Views: 0
One last piece of advice: trust the sim and the measured weight/CG input, but also verify before flight. In the all-up configuration, balance the rocket on your hand to make sure that the actual CG is where you expect it to be relative to CP. It only takes a few seconds, and can save your bacon. I also check all-up weight if I'm close to weight limits (1500g Class 1 or 5:1 TTW). We work off of motor weight and CG databases, and every so often there's an error in there.
Good advice, but in this case it seems like the CP was probably the problem. And if the problem was the boundary layer, even a swing test may not have revealed the deficiency. (My torpedo swing tested great, fully recovering from a tumble, and then sky wrote, likely due to a boundary layer problem.)

This has been a fun build to watch. Hopefully you’re able to get it back out there and give it another go after making some adjustments.
I was out at that launch and saw it, you’re brave for sending a minimum diameter for your L1! Awesome to see!!

Just so you know , solid AP composite motors use metal as a Fuel and sometimes for effects. A metal storm effects motor has LOTS of extra not needed metal to make the effects and sound it produces.

You "usually" get better performance out of A Blue or Red motor.

On snap ring reloadable motors with graphite nozzles you usually have to scrap slag off the nozzle to reuse them.

You've said that a couple of times now. What have you been using before if not solids?
I was apart of a program called SystemsGo, there are a few threads about it here, and they use only hybrids for "safety reasons"... Which I understand but when solids are so much cheaper and readily available it's hard not to get frustrated at the limitation. Let me tell you though solid motors are way more fun cool and efficient! Additionally, in that program you aren't really allowed to deal with black powder charges and such so that was a bit of a learning curve... (I may have loaded 1 gram of BP into 3" of NC section... Learned my lesson there and ended up patching a chute...)

I was apart of a program called SystemsGo, there are a few threads about it here, and they use only hybrids for "safety reasons"... Which I understand but when solids are so much cheaper and readily available it's hard not to get frustrated at the limitation. Let me tell you though solid motors are way more fun cool and efficient! Additionally, in that program you aren't really allowed to deal with black powder charges and such so that was a bit of a learning curve... (I may have loaded 1 gram of BP into 3" of NC section... Learned my lesson there and ended up patching a chute...)

Weird, Hybrids are not as safe as AP solid motors. I flew hybrids, and some times bad things can happen. I saw an O motor Hybrid explode at LDRS in Texas and felt the shock in my chest far away. Virgin had explosions.

Weird, Hybrids are not as safe as AP solid motors. I flew hybrids, and some times bad things can happen. I saw an O motor Hybrid explode at LDRS in Texas and felt the shock in my chest far away. Virgin had explosions.
Well more accurately perhaps more safe to handle as the engine is mostly inert until you load the oxidizer. So we could have them at our school and students could handle them without any special supervision. Once the BP is loaded the students are no longer allowed to touch the rockets and we are more than a safe distance away when they get loaded with oxidizer(that being said a lot of those rockets shouldn't fly for other reasons 1/2 skywrite.) I don't necessarily agree with it, like why can't we just give students the case without the propellent. Overall though it's a great program and I am very fortunate to have had it in my life.

Well more accurately perhaps more safe to handle as the engine is mostly inert until you load the oxidizer. So we could have them at our school and students could handle them without any special supervision. Once the BP is loaded the students are no longer allowed to touch the rockets and we are more than a safe distance away when they get loaded with oxidizer(that being said a lot of those rockets shouldn't fly for other reasons 1/2 skywrite.) I don't necessarily agree with it, like why can't we just give students the case without the propellent. Overall though it's a great program and I am very fortunate to have had it in my life.
Inert AP grains made with ( I believe ) table salt in place of oxidizer are also a thing.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/101-uses-for-spent-motor-casings.15250/page-3#post-2479924Or a person could just have chunks of gray foodsafe plastic or rubber milled down to the appropriate size.

Back