Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember them in gas stations more than anywhere else....and in those days the gas station also had a car bay for oil changes and the like. Many times your go to dry your hands, pull down on the towel, hear the "ka-CHUNK" and be presented with a towel with obviously oily hand prints from the guy that changed the oil.

I mostly remember them from industrial work sites (boatyards and shipyard, mostly) from 20-odd years ago. The kind of place that had no regular soap n the bathrooms, but did have a borax soap dispenser and a massive bottle of orange cleaner with pumice.

We definitely were less concerned about germs back then. :)

There were times the roll was at its end (not a short, continuous piece of cloth) and you were reusing some other person's area. Here's a page with a "How Does the Unit Work?" section that should clear that up.

It's all about teaching the young ones the history they missed out on.

I work for one of the manufacturers of the high speed hands-in hand dryers (about 10% of my job is to support them) and these reports are very falsely written, based on a "study" done years ago which showed that bacteria is spread around a bathroom.

The test they did to determine this was to have a bowl of water which had a great deal of harmless bacteria in it for people to put their hands in, then but them in the dryers to dry their hands, and using petri dishes set up around the bathroom they'd see how much the bacteria spread.

A huge problem with this test - is that it's not even close to how these dryers (or any other dryers) are designed to be used. They claim the dryers are responsible for something that wouldn't occur outside the testing situation. Specifically, people don't put their dirty bacteria laden hands into the dryers without washing them first. Nobody goes from the stall with poop on their hands straight to the dryer.

Even rinsing your hands with water and not using soap would change the results of those tests enough to move the hand dryers way up the Hygiene Ranking list in the article. But using soap to wash your hands first, then putting them into the dryer, would result in no bacteria being blown around.

Bottom line is it's a marketing tool by the paper towel industry after they saw a potential market loss due to the high speed hand dryers. Nothing more.

I work for one of the manufacturers of the high speed hands-in hand dryers (about 10% of my job is to support them) and these reports are very falsely written, based on a "study" done years ago which showed that bacteria is spread around a bathroom.

The test they did to determine this was to have a bowl of water which had a great deal of harmless bacteria in it for people to put their hands in, then but them in the dryers to dry their hands, and using petri dishes set up around the bathroom they'd see how much the bacteria spread.

A huge problem with this test - is that it's not even close to how these dryers (or any other dryers) are designed to be used. They claim the dryers are responsible for something that wouldn't occur outside the testing situation. Specifically, people don't put their dirty bacteria laden hands into the dryers without washing them first. Nobody goes from the stall with poop on their hands straight to the dryer.

Even rinsing your hands with water and not using soap would change the results of those tests enough to move the hand dryers way up the Hygiene Ranking list in the article. But using soap to wash your hands first, then putting them into the dryer, would result in no bacteria being blown around.

Bottom line is it's a marketing tool by the paper towel industry after they saw a potential market loss due to the high speed hand dryers. Nothing more.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait a minute here. You mean there are companies that fund hit piece studies that look scientific but are so totally biased that they're guaranteed to give the results the funders wanted? That blows my mind that anyone would be so unscrupulous! :D

Seriously, thanks for clarifying that study. That makes a lot more sense given the actual use of the units. Also, it reminds me of an intern we had who didn't think that there should be an industry of engineering expert witnesses, because there was only one set of facts and they could only be interpreted one way. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well, I'm not super old but I remember these finally going out of schools about ten years ago after too many kids died playing the choking "game". See how long you can hang but not pass out...

How they're designed to be used and how they are used are two different things. Agreed, no one goes directly from the stall to the dryer. And if one washes with soap and then shakes one's hands dry with no mechanical assistance there'd be virtually no bacterial spread. But, lots of people do go from the urinal to a quick rinse to the dryer, and a few, only a few I'm pretty sure, go from the stall to a quick rinse to the dryer.

For what it's worth, The Myth Busters did an experiment somewhat similar to the one you describe. Of course, they don't use terrific technique or large groups, but the do at least try. They had volunteers get their hands swabbed with harmless bacteria (rather than a bowl full) and then rinse and dry, because that's what too many people do. I don't remember whether they had set out petri dishes or swabbed some surfaces after the fact to inoculate the dishes. Their results did show bacteria spread from the hand dryer.

They had some kind of control, something like people drying with paper towels after the same sort of rinse and got less spread of bacteria.

None of which is what bothers me. Glorified hair dryers just take too darn long to get my hands and wrists dry, and the new ones with a time-out function never get the job done. The old joke is 100% apt:
  1. Push button
  2. Rub hands under nozzle
  3. Wipe hands on pants

<much good stuff snipped>

None of which is what bothers me. Glorified hair dryers just take too darn long to get my hands and wrists dry, and the new ones with a time-out function never get the job done. The old joke is 100% apt:
  1. Push button
  2. Rub hands under nozzle
  3. Wipe hands on pants

The Dyson airblades and equivalent ones are pretty good, at the expense of being loud. The first time I met one of those, I heard it before seeing it and wondered what in the bathroom was powered by Pratt & Whitney.

I haf a little brain fart about "new ones" with the timeout. Old ones had that too, of course. There was a brief period when the proximity sendor units came out that many didn't.

Anyway, Airblade II is what we have here at work. They'rw a little better than some others, but their just an improved breed of a rotten speces; I still have to wait a few seconds after it stips then go again.
15880223644781238525391.jpg

How they're designed to be used and how they are used are two different things. Agreed, no one goes directly from the stall to the dryer. And if one washes with soap and then shakes one's hands dry with no mechanical assistance there'd be virtually no bacterial spread. But, lots of people do go from the urinal to a quick rinse to the dryer, and a few, only a few I'm pretty sure, go from the stall to a quick rinse to the dryer.
I can't say that never happens, but it's got to be such a low percentage that it's equal (or less) to the people that pee directly in the things. My point still stands that these things don't spread bacteria all over bathrooms and they shouldn't be feared.

And some manufacturers make theirs much quieter than others. These things actually save a lot of energy and a LOT of paper compared with regular hot air dryers and paper towels.

94030449_1231552390522678_5049615555535831040_n.png

I can't say that never happens, but it's got to be such a low percentage that it's equal (or less) to the people that pee directly in the things.
You give the general public too much credit.

These things actually save a lot of energy and a LOT of paper compared with regular hot air dryers and paper towels.
Wiping your hands on your clothes saves even more, PLUS it gets them dry.

Back