• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

polcat 5.5" mercury redstone building advice

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Rocket Kid

Reaction score
So recently I bought a polcate aerospace 5.5" mercury redstone:cool: so I wanted to know if anyone has any building advice for me!?

Man I'd love to pick one of those up.

I recently built a Polecat 5.5 inch Nike Smoke. (Here)

The tubes are great quality, and all the parts fit just perfectly! I can see the redstone being a more difficult build, but polecat kits are a breeze, even when fiberglassing the fins like I did.

My advice: Sand everything that will be bonded very well, and have fun!

Braden

Man I'd love to pick one of those up.

I recently built a Polecat 5.5 inch Nike Smoke. (Here)

The tubes are great quality, and all the parts fit just perfectly! I can see the redstone being a more difficult build, but polecat kits are a breeze, even when fiberglassing the fins like I did.

My advice: Sand everything that will be bonded very well, and have fun!

Braden

Man that is a nice looking rocket.Cool paint job love the green fins.How did the launch go?

Im guessing you at least have an L1, L2 would be better, that thing's a little heavy for a G motor.

Alex

Thank you, It actually still has not had a chance to fly, I've got the charges already made from the first time we went to launch, and it's K740 C-star sitting in our box!

Braden

Thank you, It actually still has not had a chance to fly, I've got the charges already made from the first time we went to launch, and it's K740 C-star sitting in our box!

Braden

Thats a nice motor.Hope you get to launch it soon!

So I've had the kit for about a week and today I finaly made some actual progress. I built the escape tower.Can't figure out how to post pictures:( otherwise I would.
But tomorow maybe I'll work on it some more:D
Thats all for now!

Do any of you guys have a rocksim file for this?I have already check rocket reviews library and had no luck.

Okay, I know...resurrecting an old thread, but what "scale" would the 5.5" Polecat Mercury Redstone be?

I'm contemplating a stand-off-scale Little Joe using https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3285664, which is a 5.5" Mercury Capsule for the Polecat Mercury Redstone, and while I know I'll need a 5.5" body tube, I'll need to figure out the body tube length and fins.

Okay, I found some drawings and the 1:1 Little Joe 5B is 2.03m in diameter, so that (if my math is correct) makes a 5.5" airframe about 1:14.54545454... scale. Sound right?

Last edited:
Okay, I know...resurrecting an old thread, but what "scale" would the 5.5" Polecat Mercury Redstone be?

I'm contemplating a stand-off-scale Little Joe using https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3285664, which is a 5.5" Mercury Capsule for the Polecat Mercury Redstone, and while I know I'll need a 5.5" body tube, I'll need to figure out the body tube length and fins.

Jonathan,

NOTE : The REDSTONE dimensions are in CALIBERS ( multiples of body diameter ) . . . In this case, 1 "Caliber" = 70 Inches !

I love old threads . . . Especially updating them !

Dave F.

MERCURY ESCAPE TOWER - LARGE.jpg

Redstone early geometry.jpg

FIN DETAILS - IN CALIBERS.jpg

McDonnell 3-view - LARGE.jpg

Mercury_3_View - LARGE.jpg

mercury redstone.jpg

Last edited:
I have one and I think it’s 1/17 but will look at instructions when I get home.

Tim, can you give me the length of the body tube?

I can figure out and design a set of fins with Dave's diagrams, but I'm thinking ~49" for the body tube.

Tim, can you give me the length of the body tube?

I can figure out and design a set of fins with Dave's diagrams, but I'm thinking ~49" for the body tube.

RE-CHECK your "Math" on the Body Tube length !

Fin Unit is 9.27 ft = 111.24 inches

Mid-Section is 37.5 ft = 450 inches

Upper Section is 139.64 inches

111.24 + 450 + 139.64 = 700.88

The Airframe "Tube" is 700.88" long, according to this data

NOTE : Peter Alway's data shows the length at 688.4 inches, in ROTW.

Dave F.

mercury redstone.jpg

Last edited:
I'm getting 686.38006" because we have to take the 14.49994" of fin that extends below the "body tube" :)

Hey! I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to check and see...does anyone have the specs/instructions for the Polecat 5.5" Mercury Redstone or know where I can get them? I've been trying to figure out if I can clone one. I take it the body tube is good 'ole LOC 5.5"?

Hey! I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to check and see...does anyone have the specs/instructions for the Polecat 5.5" Mercury Redstone or know where I can get them? I've been trying to figure out if I can clone one. I take it the body tube is good 'ole LOC 5.5"?
I will take a look and see if I can find my instructions. It’s not loc tube. It’s glassed over cardboard.

Back