Mercury Polecat Airframe Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20231230_233127[403].jpgI have 3D printed a beautiful Mercury Polecat capsule, and am thinking of building the Redstone sustainer for this thing. My questions being, I know the polecat kits have been OOP for years now and I seem to be having trouble finding any old dimensions for the original especially airframe length, diameter is 5.38, and fin specs. I suppose I could scale the actual rocket but I know sometimes this looks very disporportional in real life. Thanks for any help.

Airframe length is 54.25 inches on the Polecat Redstone kit. Mine is the dual deploy 5.5 version,

Attachments

• 20231231_102456.jpg
    20231231_102456.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
@Brent wow really nice job! We couldn't quite make the escape tower pile of sticks stay together. Yours looks great, all over.

@Brent wow really nice job! We couldn't quite make the escape tower pile of sticks stay together. Yours looks great, all over.
The tower comes off for flight. Tried it once with it on and it broke. If I had the capabilities, I would solder one together out of brass rod. The Redstone capsule and tower is an MRC kit modified to be glued on the fiberglass Polecat capsule. I made this before 3D printing was an option. I made two kits using the MRC capsule. The other is featured on the cover of the 2009 July/August Sport Rocketry.

The tower comes off for flight. Tried it once with it on and it broke. If I had the capabilities, I would solder one together out of brass rod. The Redstone capsule and tower is an MRC kit modified to be glued on the fiberglass Polecat capsule. I made this before 3D printing was an option. I made two kits using the MRC capsule. The other is featured on the cover of the 2009 July/August Sport Rocketry.
What motors have you flown it on?

We fly ours on J180, for scale flame and acceleration points. Gary Schneider showed me that.

I have an MRC kit in storage somewhere. Bought it because of Jamie Clay and Mercury Joe. good times.

Back