PML Tiny Pterodactyl

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richalex2010

Reaction score
I got it Wed... I started yesterday, and iin a couple of hours I got the mmt, 2 fins, and the recovery system done (including cure time, not including fillet around piston bulk head). I tested out the chute with the NC, and it was going down fast! I may use a 14" chute with a 4" spill hole to supplement the one provided, if needed. First flight will be on an F20 or F40, depending on final mass and conditions of the launch day. I've got the 3rd fin on, I just need to fillet it (external for now, I'll see if I can get 2 part foam to use, to supplement small internal fillets). Photo soon...

And just to confuse you :) Can you tell which is the real one? 10 points to the first person to get it ;)

I've started the fillets on the piston, I just need to wait for it to cure... I should have it ready to paint/prime Mon or Tus.

I hed to rip the launch lugs off after the epoxy had mostly cured because they weren't lined up right :rolleyes: Also, I found that the launch lugs were 1/4" OD, and mu club's pad is 1/4" diameter :rolleyes: I'm going to epoxy on some of my own 1/4" lugs, as well as putting the ones supplied with the kit and rail buttons. What is the most common rail size?

A rail is a C-like box made from steel (or other metals, depending where you get it from). You have either rail guides or rail buttons that slide onto the rail. A rail is FAR stiffer than a launch rod, though not very good for low power and many mid power kits (like Estes, Custom, Quest and Fliskits) but are perfect for high power, and large mid power kits like the Tiny Pterodactyl. Ben, it was the thick black rod in this photo.

I decided to glass the launch lugs (only the hand-rolled ones), which was rather easy. I have also (finally) settled on a paint scheme for it: body and nose, red and white stripes; and for the fins (painted white 1st) I'll put little star-shaped stickers on it, and paint it with blue. When all de-masked, it will have an American Flag finish! Should be cool, though the NC shouldn't be all that fun to do :rolleyes: I hope it works :)

Indeed it is-

I'd beef up the nose-cone attachment. My first flight was a G-77W and my nose cone isn't here anymore! I don't know if the cone failed, or the knot failed, or both. Either way, I've got two cones for it now- one I'll load up for the bigger motors, one I'll leave light-weight for the f-20 launches when I don't want to walk!

Both I think are going to get a screw-eye with a nut behind it through the hole in the cone. I'll cut a little hole on the side to access the nut.

N

sounds like a coll rocket Jake! will you launch it next meeting? show some pics of the paint. sounds cool in 4 1/2 weeks I will be putting my order in for a Public Missle Bull Pup 38mm motor mount my dad said he might buy some RMS for me can't wait!!!

the most common rail size is 1" (It's the standard rail size). For bigger rockets (7.5"+) use 1 1/2" rails.

Hope it helps.

Thanks. I hope to finish priming tomorrow, and begin painting. My motor retention is 2 bolts with the end Dremmeled off (gotta love making up words ;)) and with nuts to act as the retention. The bolts will be either epoxied or drilled and epoxied, TBD.

Back