Plastic Model Conversion Section ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocket_Man

Reaction score
How does everyone feel about adding a new category called "Plastic Model Conversions?"

I am really interested in doing it but am starting from the ground in doing it and think it would be a really good forum section.

This would help those of us who dont have the budgets to go HPR an area to let imagination and skills really shine.

Of course I am looking to build a X-15 as my next project, (yes, an E9 X-15)
and think it would be really fun.

P8070005.jpg

Last edited:
This subject came up a few months back - check out the thread here. From memory and a quick scan through it looks like the consensus was there isn't enough interest/traffic to warrant a separate section for it.

Of course there's nothing to stop people putting PMC threads in the LPR/MPR/Scale/etc sections. I'm sure if you put "PMC" or something similar in the thread title, people who are interested in it will soon find it.

Cheers,
Phil

Whoa there Micro, tis not mine! I wish it was. I just used it as a demo of what we could do.

Iam going to do an X-15 but dont know about the weight to engine size ratios yet.

Things like for a 1/32 scale model use a "C" engine, etc. :cool:

Last edited:
Whoa there Micro, tis not mine! I wish it was. I just used it as a demo of what we could do.

Iam going to do an X-15 but dont know about the weight to engine size ratios yet.

Things like for a 1/32 scale model use a "C" engine, etc. :cool:

Oh well...10/4 whoevers it is it's a fine looking model LOL!!!

I'm currently building the Special Hobbies 1/32 scale X-15 for flight on D12's It's a perfect fit LOL!
I also have X-15's in 1/130th(mmx), 1/72nd (13mm) , 1/64th 1/2A-C6, and 1/48th also a D12. Most are already displayed in the PMC Gallery.
There is also a Plastic model conversion Yahoo group, tho I haven't been on it lately that do a lot on PM conversions.
Yeah I am one of the crazies that like to build & fly PMC's just for fun not only in competition.
Hope this helps

The picture gallery with PCM models is fine, but one has to do a search to find it. Plus many of the pics have build information that goes with each picture. If someone just dropped by here at the forum looking for a PCM community they wouldnt just find it. They would have to do a search. I can see both ways of the argument, but in truth wouldnt it be easy to add a forum category for PCM models.

I have the fever, I am headed to HL with my coupon to look for something I
can stuff a BP engine in!

The picture gallery with PCM models is fine, but one has to do a search to find it. Plus many of the pics have build information that goes with each picture. If someone just dropped by here at the forum looking for a PCM community they wouldnt just find it. They would have to do a search. I can see both ways of the argument, but in truth wouldnt it be easy to add a forum category for PCM models.

I have the fever, I am headed to HL with my coupon to look for something I
can stuff a BP engine in!

If you go to the Galleries forum right now, all you have to do is look down the first page of currently active galleries a short way to fine the PLastic Model Conversion PMC gallery heading. While it is true eventually one might have to go to the Gallery index (Sticky first item), once the index is open, all you have to do is click the gallery you wish to see and your there:)

Having the fever....LOL! I turely hear and totally Understand...I have a locker full of Plastic models waiting for conversion...and I keep buying more;)
While your at HL pick up a sheet of heavy cardstock or sho-card (usually like 14ply x 28" x 44" or 14" x 22" depending on the scale of your model.
This is very important for making your cardboard cutouts to determine the LCP (Lateral center of pressure) which will help you determine where to place the CG in your conversion. At least one major body diameter (Caliber) ahead of the LCP. This will give a conservative stability margin but is better then trying to fly an untested, unstable model.
Hope this helps.

Basement Front Room-a2-sm1_180 PMC kit Cabinet_03-30-04.jpg

Basement Front Room-a3-sm_PMC's kits under table_03-30-04.jpg

Last edited:
that X-3 STILLETO looks rocking!!! easy cluster it looks like!

just got back from HL, got the beginning in the LPR section!

Back