Plastic couplers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee55

Reaction score
Please help..I took the mean machine out and was looking at the male and female couplers but the directions really don't say or even show how far they go in the tubes ..don't wanna F things up when I glue ..anyone have any pics of how far they go in for each one for the twist to work right to separate em for transport??

The couplers both have stops that butt up against the ends of the tubes that indicate how far they should go in.

I would suggest dry fitting it together if you're that uncertain about how it should fit. Dry fitting things before gluing is a good practice in general anyway.

The couplers both have stops that butt up against the ends of the tubes that indicate how far they should go in.

I would suggest dry fitting it together if you're that uncertain about how it should fit. Dry fitting things before gluing is a good practice in general anyway.
Ahhhh I see what ur talking bout now. Easy fit.. but one last question, it comes with an D engine adapter. I will be using that size but just a step down a C11-3 but on the adapter that comes with it will I have to glue it in the engine mount or what? I mean how will I fit the adapter and engine in and get both to stay during launch and flight?

You build your Mean Machine stock per the directions with the 24mm motor mount. You use the adapter if you wish to fly 18mm diameter motors.

The C11 impulse motor has the same physical dimensions as an Estes D motor, you won't use the adapter for flights with the C11.

The adapter is two halves that encircle/secure the smaller 18mm motor, and then the adapter is retained in the engine mount just like a 24mm motor.

See the picture on the Estes web site at: https://estesrockets.com/product/002317-engine-adapters-standard-to-d/

Ahhhh I see what ur talking bout now. Easy fit.. but one last question, it comes with an D engine adapter. I will be using that size but just a step down a C11-3 but on the adapter that comes with it will I have to glue it in the engine mount or what? I mean how will I fit the adapter and engine in and get both to stay during launch and flight?
I believe you are referring to the orange spacer ring, and not an adapter? The ring makes up the difference in length between an E12 and a D12 motor. Put it ahead of a D12 (or C11) motor when you load it. Do not glue it in, as you will need the full space in order to use an E12 motor. The engine hook will retain both the motor and spacer during ejection.

The D spacer is just placed up in the engine mount before the D motor so that it doesn't push up into the motor mount to the end of the hook/engine block. If you line up a D12 and the spacer, it's the same length as an E12. C11 is the same size as a D12.

Disregard my prior comments. I've never built a Mean Machine and your comments regarding an 'adapter' had me envisioning the Estes motor adapter, not a motor spacer.

Kuririn and jmasterj have it exactly right.

Chagrined,
Dave

You build your Mean Machine stock per the directions with the 24mm motor mount. You use the adapter if you wish to fly 18mm diameter motors.

The C11 impulse motor has the same physical dimensions as an Estes D motor, you won't use the adapter for flights with the C11.

The adapter is two halves that encircle/secure the smaller 18mm motor, and then the adapter is retained in the engine mount just like a 24mm motor.

See the picture on the Estes web site at: https://estesrockets.com/product/002317-engine-adapters-standard-to-d/
Thanks.. I see now what's going on

Be careful when using an adapter for using an 18mm motor in a 24mm Mount. I’ve lawndarted many a rockets that way. Some rockets are easy to adapt such as a C6 in a Hi-flier XL or a B6 in a Red Nova.

Back