Maxi Alpha III #1321 Rebuild

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back_at_it

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
After about 35 yrs. of flights, I have finally grown tired of fixing the plastic fins on my original Maxi Alpha III. Over the years I have bought and built a few of these as deals have come along but as luck would have it, I held on to my original from when I was a kid. I don't have any idea how many flights it has flown but it is well used. At some point I did replace the body tube and decal as the tube had become soft over time with use.

Lately I've had a frustrating time flying this rocket as the plastic for the fin can has become brittle and the little tabs break off the fins on every landing regardless of how soft it comes down. After it's last flight at a club launch 6 weeks ago and yet another broken fin, I decided it was time to fix the problem.

When first built the rocket had it's correct Red / White paint job. When the tube was replaced about 20 years ago it got the Metallic Red and Gray that you see in the pic below. This was the last flight before the rebuilt.

17.jpg

To begin the build I tore down the original rocket and reviewed what was salvageable and what was junk. As expected the plastic fin can and all three plastic fins were trashed after years of field repairs so the only option was to ditch the plastic can / fins altogether and go with a traditional setup. I was able to save the original tube, nose cone and upper centering ring but everything else is new.

Parts list.

Original Nose Cone.
New Motor mount tube with Plywood upper ring.
BT80 body tube section cut to length to replace the rear plastic fin can.
Original fiber upper centering ring. This will now become the rear ring.
BT20/50 ring to use as a motor block.
Approx. 12 inches of 500# Kevlar.
BT80 body tubes. Can't call these original as they were replaced about 20 yrs ago.
BT80 Tube coupler.
Fins cut from 1/8" Basswood and papered using heavy notebook paper and epoxy.

1.jpg

First step in this build was to get the additional body tube attached. In this photo I have already inserted the BT80 coupler using TBII glue and let it sit for about 5 mins to tack up. I then applied glue to the inside of the lower body tube and the outside of the coupler and slid the two together. Excess glue was wiped away with a wet rag.

4.jpg
9.jpg

With the tubes drying I began work on the motor mount. The motor tube already had a plywood upper ring attached from a previous project that never happened. To start I tied a knot in one end of the Kevlar and threaded that through the hole in the upper ring. This was secured with some TBII and allowed to dry.

5.jpg

Next up was the motor block. My original kit was an early example that only allowed room for the D sized motors. This is probably why I was able to fly it for so many years and never lose it as it wouldn't go more than about 450ft. This time around I added the motor block at the 3.5" mark so I can fly the longer E motors if I choose.

7.jpg

Next came the motor retainer clip. This was added using T-88 epoxy. I added a small amount of epoxy under the upper 1/3 of the spring to attach it to the tube. A small strip was cut from the original motor mount tube and used as a sleeve to hole the clip in place. Note that the motor tube has been sanded where the spring and the fins will attach for better adhesion.

8.jpg

All of that cured over night so I will be cutting fins slots in the tube and beginning assembly today.

Last edited:
During the day yesterday I glued in the motor mount. Since I'm reusing the old body tube, there is a coupler in the middle so I decided to insert the motor mount from the top and rest the centering ring against the top of the existing coupler. The rear ring was attached while the assembly dried. The rear ring was then removed for access to the inside of the tube for internal fillets.

11.jpg

Here we are looking down the tube from the top. In this shot you can see that the first few inches of the Kevlar has been covered in heat shrink. The top two inches of the tube have also been coated in epoxy to help prevent zippering.

12.jpg

Next was cutting the slots for the fins. Each slot was cut and the fins and slots were numbered.

Since the fins were papered and then coated in epoxy, I will use additional epoxy to attach the fins to the tube.

13.jpg

Will be working on fins today and should hopefully have something that looks like a rocket for tomorrows update.

Cool man. I'm doing a somewhat of an upscale Alpha build. I've been using poster board for some fin skins, seems to be great. But those are balsa. I'm not sure what I'll use for these plywood fins I have. I ordered a bunch of scratch build parts from Rocketryworks back in May to build this upscale, anyways very cool man!

During the day yesterday I glued in the motor mount. Since I'm reusing the old body tube, there is a coupler in the middle so I decided to insert the motor mount from the top and rest the centering ring against the top of the existing coupler. The rear ring was attached while the assembly dried. The rear ring was then removed for access to the inside of the tube for internal fillets.

View attachment 596828

Here we are looking down the tube from the top. In this shot you can see that the first few inches of the Kevlar has been covered in heat shrink. The top two inches of the tube have also been coated in epoxy to help prevent zippering.

View attachment 596829

Next was cutting the slots for the fins. Each slot was cut and the fins and slots were numbered.

Since the fins were papered and then coated in epoxy, I will use additional epoxy to attach the fins to the tube.

View attachment 596830

Will be working on fins today and should hopefully have something that looks like a rocket for tomorrows update.
Do you sand the inside/top of the bodytube then to get the nosecone in? I'm just thinking of ways to make something to help stop zippers. I've seen everything from nice made "bumpers", to homemade bottle cork zipper stoppers. Just curious, thank you and again awesome build man. Ill be watching.

Do you sand the inside/top of the bodytube then to get the nosecone in? I'm just thinking of ways to make something to help stop zippers. I've seen everything from nice made "bumpers", to homemade bottle cork zipper stoppers. Just curious, thank you and again awesome build man. Ill be watching.

My approach to adding epoxy to the top of the body tubes really depend on how tightly the nose cone fits. On some rockets the nose cone fits tight. For those rocket I'll apply epoxy to the inside of the tube, warm the epoxy to allow it to soak in then wipe away the excess with a cloth that is damp with alcohol. This way you get epoxy into the fiber of the tube but you don't have the excess build up inside the tube. I'd say this is how I do 90% of the rockets as generally speaking, these days parts fit together pretty well.

For this build and a lot of older rockets, the parts don't fit very well. Nose cones are loose, couplers are loose etc. This nose cone needed two complete wraps of blue tape around it to keep it in place and even that wasn't enough to make it tight enough to pick the rocket up by the cone. For this build I simply brushed on the epoxy, warmed it slightly to let it soak in and left it alone. The nose cone is still a little loose so I might add another layer of epoxy.

Last edited:
Yesterday I was able to get all three fins attached. Because these were papered and coated in epoxy, I chose to use epoxy to attach them to the body.

14.jpg15.jpg14.jpg

All three fins attached and standing on its own.

17.jpg

After letting the fins dry for a few hours, I did the internal fillets where the fins meet the motor tube and body tube. The backend was then buttoned up using the original paper centering ring.

19.jpg

Today will be external fillets and hopefully primer. We have a club launch this weekend and I'd like to see this one fly even if it's not painted.

My approach to adding epoxy to the top of the body tubes really depend on how tightly the nose cone fits. On some rockets the nose cone fits tight. For those rocket I'll apply epoxy to the inside of the tube, warm the epoxy to allow it to soak in then wipe away the excess with a cloth that is damp with alcohol. This was you get epoxy into the fiber of the tube but you don't have the excess build up inside the tube. I'd say this is how I do 90% of the rockets as generally speaking, these days parts fit together pretty well.

For this build and a lot of older rockets, the parts don't fit very well. Nose cones are loose, couplers are loose etc. This nose cone needed two complete wraps of blue tape around it to keep it in place and even that wasn't enough to make it tight enough to pick the rocket up by the cone. For this build I simply brushed on the epoxy, warmed it slightly to let it soak in and left it alone. The nose cone is still a little loose so I might add another layer of epoxy.
Ok, thank you for that info. Was just curious to see if that helped to stop zippering. I understand though why you did it. I thought maybe it was intentional to stop that terrible thing from happening to your tube. Ok, thank you!!

My approach to adding epoxy to the top of the body tubes really depend on how tightly the nose cone fits. On some rockets the nose cone fits tight. For those rocket I'll apply epoxy to the inside of the tube, warm the epoxy to allow it to soak in then wipe away the excess with a cloth that is damp with alcohol. This was you get epoxy into the fiber of the tube but you don't have the excess build up inside the tube. I'd say this is how I do 90% of the rockets as generally speaking, these days parts fit together pretty well.

Do you do this for your smaller LPR rockets, such as BT-20 through BT-60 sized?

I reckon if you have that much space, it might be worthwhile adding some very light glass to the epoxy buildup.

On smaller stuff, I always use thin CA on the inside of tube ends. Applied outdoors, with a breeze. Much better to get them smoothed and sanded to 400 grit before the CA is in them than after.

I think tubes become soft because over the years because at least two things happen:
#1) They absorb moisture from the air. Also the constant burning theu recieve from ejection charges doesn't help, but I've noticed that even shipping tubes I've kept in storage get soft over the course of 20+ years.
#2) the glue they use to hold the paper together into the tube itself starts to degrade. This causes the tube to unravel back into the paper strips it was formed from.

If you want your rocket to last much longer, I would suggest you coat the inside and outside with a very thin coat of epoxy. This will protect and seal the cardboard from humidity, and keep the glue from unraveling the tube as the epoxy will act as a glue -- even a very thin layer. You can order laminating epoxy, or just thin down epoxy with alcohol or acetone. When it's thin enough to apply an even coat with a paintbrush, you're ready. It's going to drip all over the place while setting, so make sure you've got a paper plate or something to set it on.

But the advantage when you are done is that this rocket will likely last much longer than an uncoated rocket.

Do you do this for your smaller LPR rockets, such as BT-20 through BT-60 sized?

Yes. I tend to do it to every rocket. I have seen a reduction in zippers and dents in the tubes from bad landing and nose cone strikes.

I can't think of a reason not to do it honestly as there is no downside.

Last edited:
Yes. I tend to do it to every rocket. I have seen a reduction in zippers and dents in the tubes from bad landing and nose cone strikes.

I can't think of a reason no to do it honestly.
I follow something similar, but with CA glue. I may try your epoxy idea the next chance I get, though.

I follow something similar, but with CA glue. I may try your epoxy idea the next chance I get, though.

I use to do the same thing and probably still would today if it wasn't for a conversation I had with the guys from LOC. I was talking to Jason one day and he mentioned that I could coat my couplers in epoxy to make them stiffer and slide better and use it on the edges of the tubes to keep them from fraying.

Ever since then I've done it on pretty much every build. I tend tend to get carried away with Epoxy.

I use to do the same thing and probably still would today if it wasn't for a conversation I had with the guys from LOC. I was talking to Jason one day and he mentioned that I could coat my couplers in epoxy to make them stiffer and slide better and use it on the edges of the tubes to keep them from fraying.

Ever since then I've done it on pretty much every build. I tend tend to get carried away with Epoxy.
Later today I will experiment with epoxy on some scrap body tubes.

Had some time to get this project in primer and to do a little filling of the seams. Used SEM high build primer then did a light coat of SEM wood filler. Still had a couple of stubborn areas that required a littler Bodo Brand spot putty. Decided that the rocket was far enough along that I could throw a quick shock cord in it and fly it at the club launch this Saturday.

First flight was on a D12-3. Nice low level flight. Weather cocked slightly as we had intermittent winds during the launch. Flew to approx. 300ish feet and recovered close on an 18" plastic chute.

Launch_08122023_14.jpgLaunch_08122023_15.jpg

I should have a chance to get the final coat of primer on this one today and begin painting tomorrow or weds.

Last edited:
Finally had a chance to get this one wrapped up. Since my last post, I did one last top coat of SEM high Build primer then finish sanded that down to 800 grit. I decided that I wanted to do an upscale of one of the normal BT50 Alpha paint schemes but I couldn't decide on which one I wanted to do. This was almost a 60th anniversary Alpha VI recreation but I decided that I wanted to do something I had never done before.

Looking through the old catalogs I noticed something for the first time. The common orange and black Alpha III that we are all so familiar with isn't what is shown in the catalogs. If you look closely at the catalog you'll see that the rocket is solid orange with all black decals. The actual kit comes with an orange nose cone and fins with a black tube and orange decals. I never noticed this and realized I have never built a catalog correct Orange Alpha III.

Looking at my paint supply I couldn't find an orange that I wanted to use. I was looking for something that was a touch darker than what I had on the shelf. What I ended up surprised me as I swore off this brand years ago. I picked up a new can of Rustoleum Orange with the new multi spray tip can. Knowing my history with this I took extra precautions. I set the paint can outside and let it warm up for a few hours. The rocket was wiped with alcohol and left to dry in the sun for a couple of hours.

When it was time, I did four light coats exactly 10 mins apart and let the rocket cure in the sun for 4 days. Only bringing it inside at night. After four days I held my breath and painted the center section black using Krylon Gloss black. Vinyl was then cut and applied.

22.jpg

While I was at it I decided that now would be a good time to whip out one of those bulk Alpha III kits I have stored away and build a matching BT50 sized version in the catalog correct colors as well. In all transparency, I used the smaller BT50 to test the paint before applying it to the Maxi.

24.jpg25.jpg

Awesome. The Alpha 3 has always been a favorite and is one of the best looking Rockets Estes ever made.

Finally had a chance to get this one wrapped up. Since my last post, I did one last top coat of SEM high Build primer then finish sanded that down to 800 grit. I decided that I wanted to do an upscale of one of the normal BT50 Alpha paint schemes but I couldn't decide on which one I wanted to do. This was almost a 60th anniversary Alpha VI recreation but I decided that I wanted to do something I had never done before.

Looking through the old catalogs I noticed something for the first time. The common orange and black Alpha III that we are all so familiar with isn't what is shown in the catalogs. If you look closely at the catalog you'll see that the rocket is solid orange with all black decals. The actual kit comes with an orange nose cone and fins with a black tube and orange decals. I never noticed this and realized I have never built a catalog correct Orange Alpha III.

Looking at my paint supply I couldn't find an orange that I wanted to use. I was looking for something that was a touch darker than what I had on the shelf. What I ended up surprised me as I swore off this brand years ago. I picked up a new can of Rustoleum Orange with the new multi spray tip can. Knowing my history with this I took extra precautions. I set the paint can outside and let it warm up for a few hours. The rocket was wiped with alcohol and left to dry in the sun for a couple of hours.

When it was time, I did four light coats exactly 10 mins apart and let the rocket cure in the sun for 4 days. Only bringing it inside at night. After four days I held my breath and painted the center section black using Krylon Gloss black. Vinyl was then cut and applied.

View attachment 599273

While I was at it I decided that now would be a good time to whip out one of those bulk Alpha III kits I have stored away and build a matching BT50 sized version in the catalog correct colors as well. In all transparency, I used the smaller BT50 to test the paint before applying it to the Maxi.

View attachment 599274View attachment 599275
Looks like Im building one of these. The nose cone is printing and the BT80, coupler and the engine retainer (screw type) were just ordered from Amazon and I will be laser cutting the centering rings and fins. I have the rest of the parts but the finish will be NO WHERE like yours. WTF!!!! Very nice

This nose cone was at the absolute limits of my new 3D printer but I think it came out nice. Tomorrow I'll laser cut the fins and rings

Attachments

• IMG20240224222235.jpg
    IMG20240224222235.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
I have a Roly Lasermatic 10 was expensive but worth it.

After a fair amount of research and the fact that I’m completely new to lasers I chose the We create laser. With discounts it was in my ballpark with the rotary attachment.

Not trying to open a business. Just looking to cut my oven stuff.

For the price it looks pretty good. Should be delivered on Wednesday so I should know more by the end of the week.

Back