3D Printing Planning on buying a new filament printer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fresh nozzle. I can extrude filament manually, using the wheel on the extruder. Nozzle gets hot, not a problem. I've already looked at the heatbreak and it's clear. Driver is brand-new, as it's a new main board. Two main boards both with dead drivers is unlikely.
heat it up.
remove the nozzle.
Mark the filament where it enters any accessible part of the extruder that is close.
Remove the filament completely. Are there any brown/black blobs on it? Measure from the mark on the filament to your blob. That's the position of the blockage. Take your head apart by locating that point from the measurement.
If no blob/burnt filament....
If you cannot pull out your filament, you have a cold spot blockage. A gap where the filament can expend to when hot, but once cooled, cannot reheat to be able to print.
There is now no filament in your printer. Cut a short length to test with.
Offer it up to the start of the drive cog.
You should be able to tell the printer to extrude say 10mm. Will the printer pick up the filament and start to push the filament? Is the extrude motor moving at all?
If it does not move the drive cog, remove the connector to the extruder stepper. Look into connector and check for any bent pins. Straighten them so they go into the connector. Check the connector female for pushed out pin recepticles. Check the other end of the cable and connector at the motherboard.

Hopefully, you're not printing black as that would make it difficult. :)

Last edited:
heat it up.
remove the nozzle.
Mark the filament where it enters any accessible part of the extruder that is close.
Remove the filament completely. Are there any brown/black blobs on it? Measure from the mark on the filament to your blob. That's the position of the blockage. Take your head apart by locating that point from the measurement.
If no blob/burnt filament....
If you cannot pull out your filament, you have a cold spot blockage. A gap where the filament can expend to when hot, but once cooled, cannot reheat to be able to print.
There is now no filament in your printer. Cut a short length to test with.
Offer it up to the start of the drive cog.
Have done all this. Path is clear and unclogged. (Yes, I am printing black.)
You should be able to tell the printer to extrude say 10mm. Will the printer pick up the filament and start to push the filament? Is the extrude motor moving at all?
If it does not move the drive cog, remove the connector to the extruder stepper. Look into connector and check for any bent pins. Straighten them so they go into the connector. Check the connector female for pushed out pin recepticles. Check the other end of the cable and connector at the motherboard.

Hopefully, you're not printing black as that would make it difficult. :)
I'll have to check the pins. I'm thinking it's the stepper motor itself.

Have done all this. Path is clear and unclogged. (Yes, I am printing black.)

I'll have to check the pins. I'm thinking it's the stepper motor itself.
You should be able to plug in any other stepper. The connections are usually identical. But it's your expensive smoke. So I'd check the pin resistances first to make sure there's no shorts.

Since this will be my first foray into the 3D printing world, I am probably going to go with the X1 and take the time to learn the ins and outs of 3D printing, then, maybe, upgrade to a Prusa XL in a year or two.

I have the fervent concern that getting into another new hobby is going to proliferate out of control just like all the other ones :) C'est la vie. At least when I end up with a print farm next year I maybe able to be the neighborhood "print guy"! Need. Bigger. Shop.
I've heard that Bambu is making an announcement on 9/20. Speculation is that it's a larger printer.

Very happy with my X1C.

I've heard that Bambu is making an announcement on 9/20. Speculation is that it's a larger printer.

Very happy with my X1C.

Great, thanks! I will wait until they make the announcement to determine when I buy one.

Very happy with my X1C.
Actually, a lot of the evidence points to a smaller printer. I hope you are right and the smaller one is incorrect.

Back