Picnic Saucer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGneissGuy

Reaction score
My daughter in first grade brought home a "flying saucer" she made at after school care. It's two paper plates stapled together, one face down, with a hole cut in the top one and a styrofoam bowl situated in the hole. It's the very traditional saucer UFO look. Since her Cosmic Cobra became a lawn dart on its first flight, she really could use another rocket and I'm strongly leaning to converting her saucer into one. I have a spare 18 mm motor mount and some BT laying around and need something to use up a couple of the blast off pack engines that don't get much use. I've seen posts of similar oddrocs in here with pictures of similar ones but not really any build threads. Any helpful tips out there besides having my daughter ready to duck and cover when we launch?

Art Applewhite Rockets. Cut your teeth on the 13mm free downloads. They are a ton of fun. We've made a bunch of paper plate saucers but I wouldn't fly anything 9" and up on less than a 24mm or clustered 18mm. Good luck.

For D class motors, I would use a saucer with a diameter not greater than about 7 inches. For 18 mm motors, you probably want to keep the diameter at about 5 inches. I can post pics of my small 100% scratch saucers if anyone is interested...

I have made (or helped) several Art Applewhite oddrocs, most recently helping my daughter's girl scout troop build and fly some Qubits. Great fun. I took a long look at the saucer last night and the parts I have and did a bit of gluing and taping here and there. It's looking like it's going to be a cluster of four 18 mm engines (it is 9" plates). One more bit of engineering and I do believe it will be ready for a test flight. Looking at the motors I believe I'll be able to tie the igniters together in two groups. Would it be better to use some scrap wire to connect all four igniters together for one launch control wire or would it work to keep them grouped in pairs connected to two control wires? My launch controller has one button for both control wires so timing shouldnt be an issue other than maybe a difference in resistance between the two wires. They are rougly the same length from the same spool of wire so theoretically there shouldn't be any difference there. This will be my first attempt at clustering. Should be interesting.

It's finished and my daughter and I spent the morning looking at saucers from old sci fi movies so she could pick a name for it. You can see what she settled on in blue. Now I just have to decide if we want to make its maiden flight while the snow is falling or save it for another day.

I made a cluster harness last night and noticed the wire spool that is now empty holds an engine almost perfectly. Spools fly stable, right? :)

2010-12-04_11-18-07_241.jpg

I made a cluster harness last night and noticed the wire spool that is now empty holds an engine almost perfectly. Spools fly stable, right? :)

I fly a wire spool regularly, It flies great! It has about a four inch flange diameter and holds an 18mm almost perfect. I'm guessing this is about the same thing you have? It flies great on C's, and even BETTER on 18mm reloadables! D24's, to be exact. Just don't try staging it to a snitch, that don't work...

well...that was interesting. Ever had one of those launch attempts where before long you should be thinking "The rocket gods are trying to tell me something"? I spent some time in the garage hooking up 4 A8-3 engines to my home made cluster harness. My girls were outside playing in the snow, so I figured it was as good of a time as any to give it a shot. We carried everything out back, I connected the harness to the launch control wire, and we attempted to launch the saucer. First count down, nothing. I told my daughter to count down again, but this time to hold the button down...5, 4, 3, 2, 1...one of the four engines fires, the saucer didn't even make it off the rod as the other engines are still connected to the harness. OK, my paired lantern batteries obviously don't have enough juice to fire four, at least not in the cold. I should have given up then and there. But when I take the saucer back to the garage I see the spool sitting there. It took no time at all to load it up with a B4-2 and take it out to the pad.

Now that was a beautiful flight. Especially considering the thing took me all of 5 minutes to "build". With that confidence boost, I decide to try a little something different with the saucer. Instead of 4 18 mm, I put together 2 spent 18 mm (for spacing) and one C11.

I take it out to the pad, and have my daughter hook it up. Let this be a lesson, when it's cold outside, you should really double check everything...as it turns out my daughter didn't think to remove the safety cap from the launch rod. And as I was looking through the camera, I didn't notice it. Fortunately, well really unfortunately, that never became an issue. My daughter counted down, and pressed the fire button. This time the saucer smoothly rose into the air...taking the launch rod with it (yet another reason for those minimum distances while launching). Now I had tested that thing during the build to make certain it slid freely up and down the launch rod. And even made sure it slid down smoothly when I was setting it up. I guess the cold made the rod sit pretty loose in its seat which looks like the majority of the problem. Next time I'm using my other pad that I can tighten up more. And I plan to double check the saucer to see what I can do to it to keep this from happening in the future. First glance, the tape I used to hold the engines in place may have folded over or wrinkled up causing a bit more friction. I think it'll be easy to fix for next time.

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, it looked like a decent flight.

[YOUTUBE]hvOv8EP9MBw[/YOUTUBE]

Back