Picard

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Overall, I thought the plot on episode 9 held together a lot better than earlier episodes in the series. I too have questions about whether the opposing alliance would actually ally with each other. I wouldn’t think that either one would trust the other. But that’s a relatively minor quibble.

I’m impressed that Geordi can manage that big a restoration project in his spare time. Most people can barely manage to disassemble a car in 15 years, let alone put it together again!

The Change links and the Borg are allies...The Borg queen?... but the Borg queen dies in season 2 and replaced by Agnes (time travel thing), that was not her we saw (or think we saw when she was face to face with Jack Cruscher) and as Agnes the new Queen, The Born had become a more friendly group as opposed to assimilation they had become more of a join us type of group.
Paul
There are several possibilities here. Interestingly, the credits listed Alice Krige, who was the Borg queen in Star Trek: First Contact.

Curious that Walter Koenig got a credit as "Anton Chekhov". Koenig was not offered a voice role in ST:TAS so he wrote an episode

Curious that Walter Koenig got a credit as "Anton Chekhov". Koenig was not offered a voice role in ST:TAS so he wrote an episode
I heard his voice warning others not to approach earth as the planetary defenses were falling.
Still with that heavy Russian accent.
:D

The “Anton” part of the name was a nice little memorial to the late Anton Yelchin who played Pavel Chekhov in the (goofy) Abrams-Trek Kelvin timeline movies. I believe in the dialogue, which was an intentional callback to the Federation President’s warning to stay away from Earth while the whale probe was devastating the planet in ST IV (aka The One With the Whales 😆), he identified himself as Pavel Chekhov’s grandson(?).

The “Anton” part of the name was a nice little memorial to the late Anton Yelchin who played Pavel Chekhov in the (goofy) Abrams-Trek Kelvin timeline movies. I believe in the dialogue, which was an intentional callback to the Federation President’s warning to stay away from Earth while the whale probe was devastating the planet in ST IV (aka The One With the Whales 😆), he identified himself as Pavel Chekhov’s grandson(?).
Yes on both counts. From the time period President Chekov would have to be Pavel’s grandson at least.

The President of the Federation voice was Chekov's son.

Hopefully what they are now calling Terry Trek (Terry Metalas) will bring back the old Rodenberry fans. Paramount needs the CASH!

Surprising that an android can use The Force.
Heh.
And you know they were gonna break out the deck of cards before the ending right?
Now, can someone explain what happened to Dr. Juratti? I thought she became the Borg Queen?
Instead of the dying former Borg queen in this finale. What gives?

The President of the Federation voice was Chekov's son.

Hopefully what they are now calling Terry Trek (Terry Metalas) will bring back the old Rodenberry fans. Paramount needs the CASH!

I couldn’t hear the line of dialogue clearly, guess I didn’t take their longer lifespans (if they avoid omnipotent beings, deadly aliens, random anomalies, etc…) into account.

My hopes for the seemingly 150-ish degree turn that Matalas took with Picard S3 to be sustained were greatly diminished when we had the three female characters striking their hero pose on the bridge of the Enterprise G and Jack was pretty much told to sit down and figure out how to fill Counselor Troi’s high heels (maybe a short-pants Cub Scout version of his uniform would help?) - not that Jack should’ve pulled a Kelvin Kirk move and be made an instant captain. But counselor? Yeesh. At least have him manning the conn or at tactical or, with his abilities, as comm officer.

On the other hand I’m loving Jeri Ryan’s current version of 7 of 9 - that’s a character who’s earned her stripes and attitude! I was kind of hoping we’d see Seven, Rafi and Worf together as troubleshooting clandestine agents fixing problems the Feds, Starfleet and maybe even the Klingons can’t officially touch - sort of a Mission Impossible/Man From U.N.C.L.E. in space. But Seven as captain of the Enterprise G is really something interesting - she was the only thing from ST:VOY I really consistently liked (and it wasn’t just about the costume either - maybe 20%…ok 30%).

After the misfires of the first two seasons this was a solid season of Trek - heck, they even found the light switch for the bridge! Some goofy plot contrivances (which ST has had from day one), some clunky dialogue (ditto) and a tad bit too much fan service (which I loved) but when we got to see the TNG crew around a conference table, arrayed on the bridge of the Enterprise D and then at the poker table (where was Data’s weirdo clear plastic visor?!) all was forgiven. Now that Matalas has made Trek viable again the knuckleheads in charge of Secret Hideout will probably just muck it up all over again. Hope not, Picard S3 was a lot of fun.

Now, can someone explain what happened to Dr. Juratti? I thought she became the Borg Queen?
Instead of the dying former Borg queen in this finale. What gives?
Easy - you have the opportunity for Alice Krige as a Very Special Guest Star or Allison Pill - go with the Krige! She’s weird, she’s hip, she IS the Queen!

The Change links and the Borg are allies...The Borg queen?... but the Borg queen dies in season 2 and replaced by Agnes (time travel thing), that was not her we saw (or think we saw when she was face to face with Jack Cruscher) and as Agnes the new Queen, The Born had become a more friendly group as opposed to assimilation they had become more of a join us type of group.
Paul
EXACTLY. I've only watched through episode 9 (next week will watch finale) but I thought the Borg are no longer a threat, but more of a quasi-ally going forward. No idea what's going on now.

Last edited:
Spock: (ST SNW) "I would like the ship to go... now..." LOL The brighter bridge was great! Why is electricity so expensive in the future!?

Last edited:
Spock: (ST SNW) "I would like the ship to go... now..." LOL The brighter bridge was great! Why is electricity so expensive in the future!?

It was amusing seeing that bit with Seven in "the chair" and not getting to hear what she said, right after seeing the second trailer for season two of Strange New Worlds....

Well, instead of an AMT or Moebius plastic model of the USS Titan it looks like it'll be the Enterprise NCC-1701G instead.

I hope AMT or someone does make such a kit.

Now if they will just get the Ready Room for this episode made available...

Also, IIRC the Borg are not one big happy collective, but need to go back through some Voyager as well as ST:First Contact and some of Season 2 of Picard to get it straight in my head.

Watched it last night. I liked the way they wrapped up the series.

I still don't get why the Dominion would trust the Borg enough to hand the Federation and reproduction to them. Particularly when the Queen's stated goal is destruction of everyone else in the galaxy. Also, how did the Dominion agents find the Borg in the first place? I too am missing an explanation for why the Queen wasn't Juratti. Having Juratti come back and tell Picard that abandonment made her the vengeful person she is would have been a nice touch and in keeping with the theme of the episode.

That Jack Crusher would leave the collective voluntarily was clear as soon as the Queen mentioned the possibility. That's not really a critique; most movies of the type are predicatable in some way or another. There was a bit of Star Wars "There's still good in him! I can save him!" heroic redemption arc though.

Though I liked the ending we saw, I would also have been OK with an ending where Beverly had to kill Picard and her son to save humanity. Of course, she made that decision but she didn't have to live with the consequences.

I did like Data in therapy totally murdering Troi's schedule and patience.

It looks like they're setting up for a new series with Captain Seven, First Officer Raffi, and Ensign Jack Crusher. I feel like that series would be a mistake and could cannibalize plot points from Strange New Worlds. There's only so many heroic ship stories out there. I would have been happier with a series where Seven, Raffi, Hippie Worf, and a few other misfits are working for Starfleet Intelligence. Not quite as dark as the Section 31 series with Michelle Yeoh, and not quite as bright as SNW. Also, why would you get an old flame as your first officer? Seems like an HR referral waiting to happen.

Fan prediction: Seven's line for "go to warp" will be "Proceed"

Dear God, why is Q back and primed for a large role in a potential future series? Is John DeLancie so far behind in gambling debts that he needs the beanie weenie money? :D Let that storyline go!

Beginning with Voyager the Borg simply are not scary anymore. Can Hollywood write good villains these days?
Weak villains has been a genre fiction problem on TV and in the movies for a long time - though the horror folks don’t seem to have a problem creating scary, effective villains, but the SF, fantasy and comic book folks sure do.

And we don’t even necessarily get solid villains from one movie to the next in a given franchise - just compare the Darth Vader from Star Wars to the Daddy Vader of Return of the Jedi, he’s way badder in the first movie compared to the last, but it at least makes sense considering the character arc that George Lucas ginned up after Star Wars became a mega hit (George has apparently even talked himself into believing he had all the SW movies mapped out from Day One).

The MCU is even worse, the weaker the bad guy the less interesting the movie - Thanos from Infinity War/Endgame vs Generic Corporate Bad Guys from the Ant-Man movies is a great example, I can’t even remember who played which in which movie though I know one of them was done by Walton Goggins and they were both trying to steal something important.

I guess that “modern audiences” require their bad guys to be sympathetic and motivated by a “just cause” - you know, so the bad guys might actually be good guys and the good guys really the bad guys…from another point of view. Tough to hang on to your moral relativism and create a truly evil antagonist.

A good example of how to do a relatable villain but keep him truly “bad” would be Calvera from The Magnificent Seven. Eli Wallach was brilliant, he portrayed Calvera as a real rat, but you understood where he was coming from and why he did what he did - the line “God would not have made them sheep if he didn’t want them to be shorn” summed Calvera up perfectly. I’m always a bit wistful when Calvera dies puzzled as to why The Seven came back.

I still don't get it though... Can someone connect the dots for me? The Borg at end of season 2 of Picard wer converted into something like an ally? Why all the fuss with the federation in season 3?

Watching finale tonight.

I still don't get it though... Can someone connect the dots for me? The Borg at end of season 2 of Picard wer converted into something like an ally? Why all the fuss with the federation in season 3?

Watching finale tonight.
Someone who watched all the S1/S2 episodes could probably answer that question better than me - I couldn’t make it through more than a couple episodes from either season - but show runner Terry Matalas pretty much jettisoned everything from the prior seasons except what he absolutely needed to tell the story he wanted to tell in S3, including evidently the Jurati-ized Borglites.

Someone who watched all the S1/S2 episodes could probably answer that question better than me - I couldn’t make it through more than a couple episodes from either season - but show runner Terry Matalas pretty much jettisoned everything from the prior seasons except what he absolutely needed to tell the story he wanted to tell in S3, including evidently the Jurati-ized Borglites.

This kind of thing should not be allowed. A little creative retconning I can handle, but basically undoing the prior season in its entirety simply is dumb. How did this get approved?

This kind of thing should not be allowed. A little creative retconning I can handle, but basically undoing the prior season in its entirety simply is dumb. How did this get approved?
That's Hollywood.
:D
Don't forget to watch to the end of the credits for a reveal.

The only justification needed is in the numbers - streaming stuff is hard to gauge, they don’t make “views” as public as the old style Nielsen ratings, but solid sources have reported the constant decline in viewership all through S1/S2 and the increase in S3. Follow the money, it isn’t called commercial TV for nothing 😉

Back