Photo and Comment: What is your favorite OOP Rocket Motor?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Out of Production Rocket Motor: Post a photo of the motor and comments as to why it is your favorite.

CTI L3150 VMAX.

The mach 💎‘s are what i love. You can literally see them with your naked eye as the rocket takes off.

B60D3707-5567-4200-819B-55291F526B01.jpeg
IMG_5790.jpeg
IMG_5791.jpeg

Flew one in my Ultimate Wildman to 6k’ back in October of last year. Recovered flawlessly!

All the different VMAX motors are so cool to witness.

I am kind of partial to the OOP 10-inch Nike Smoke by Polecat Aerospace and would love to team my rocket up with a OOP motor like the AMW Blue Baboon N2700.

IMG_0447.jpeg

I also like the OOP Full Scale by Performance Rocketry - 16.5 to 17 inches in diameter and 22 feet long. For it, the OOP Gorilla O4925 WC.

Last edited:
I am kind of partial to the OOP 10-inch Nike Smoke by Polecat Aerospace and would love to team my rocket up with a OOP motor like the AMW Blue Baboon N2700.

View attachment 613773

I also like the OOP Full Scale by Performance Rocketry - 16.5 to 17 inches in diameter and 22 feet long. For it, the OOP Gorilla O4925 WC.
Okay, this reply has nothing to do with the original prompt about OOP motors but I have to comment on that Nike Smoke. It's gorgeous. For one thing, its size is impressive, but mainly it's simply a Nike Smoke. I'm not sure what it is about the NS form exactly but it's such a satisfying image with that long nose cone balancing--and nearly as long as--the substantial body. The colored fins are nice but I think I'd like it just as well if they were all white like the rest of the structure. I know form and function are inextricably related; I wish we still needed the Smoke to study with just so we could still keep these around and in action. I'm glad they survive, though, in beautiful work like you've done here. Thank you for posting this picture.

Okay, this reply has nothing to do with the original prompt about OOP motors but I have to comment on that Nike Smoke. It's gorgeous. For one thing, its size is impressive, but mainly it's simply a Nike Smoke. I'm not sure what it is about the NS form exactly but it's such a satisfying image with that long nose cone balancing--and nearly as long as--the substantial body. The colored fins are nice but I think I'd like it just as well if they were all white like the rest of the structure. I know form and function are inextricably related; I wish we still needed the Smoke to study with just so we could still keep these around and in action. I'm glad they survive, though, in beautiful work like you've done here. Thank you for posting this picture.
And the Blue Baboon propellant? A lot of folks will say that we have the Blue bu CTI, but I feels it fly subtly different.

My second favorite motors I miss are the long burn motors from Ellis MTN.

Not really my favorite, but I thought by now that the OldGuy™ LPR crowd would speak up for the B14 or B8 motors from the Land of Ago. Booster motor of choice when flying a 3-stage.

CTI N10,000 Vmax when you really need to get there in a hurry
AMW K1000 Skidmark because it may be one of the best skids ever made

And the Blue Baboon propellant? A lot of folks will say that we have the Blue bu CTI, but I feels it fly subtly different.

My second favorite motors I miss are the long burn motors from Ellis MTN.
Well, since I've only been an LPR hobbyist and I've been out of the loop for a very, very long time I don't know anything about Blue Baboon, Blue bu CTI, or Ellis MTN's motors I'll have to take your word for them. Suddenly I'm feeling like I missed an important element of my life. :)

Well, since I've only been an LPR hobbyist and I've been out of the loop for a very, very long time I don't know anything about Blue Baboon, Blue bu CTI, or Ellis MTN's motors I'll have to take your word for them. Suddenly I'm feeling like I missed an important element of my life. :)

You missed part of the golden era of rocketry. The variety of rocket motors has reduced over the last weekend 24-30 years.

Back