Personal Launch Report -- ROCC 12/12/13 and 1/1/14

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusSRG

Reaction score
I waited too long to do my December launch report so I am including it along with my New Year's report!

ROCC had a great day of flying on Saturday, 12/21. I was fitting the launch in between errands with the fiancée and work, so I hadn't prepped more than my cable cutter... Certainly not my most prepared launch, but I got a couple flights off and I came back with everything I left with!

First up was my Big Brute on a Pro38 3G H100 I-max, a propellant I haven't flown before. My goal for this flight was successful dual deployment with the Archetype cable cutter and RRC2+. I also added a 12" drogue to elevate the nosecone. It's first flight last month suffered a main tangle when the booster fell through the main after successful cable cutter deployment. Also ripped off a rail guide.

BigBruteDec21.jpg

Boost on the H100 was perfect, angling into the wind just right. Great flame and funky brown/white smoke! Then came apogee...and the main chute?!? D'oh!!! In my rushing I mixed up my altimeter connections!! That thing drifted from the left side of the field, all the way over the right field, over the next property, over the road, over the next tree line and finally landed in a small field surrounded by trees... L-U-C-K-Y. I finally found it after driving around and traversing some barbed wire, beeping away 1780'. Whew... Retry next launch.

BigBruteDec212.jpgBigBruteDec213.jpg

Video: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10100991797766418&set=vb.29705070&type=3

After the unexpected hike, my time was waning so I pulled out the Ulimate, (2) G53FJs and got a DMS G80T from Ken. I dipped 3 Q2s in Quickdip, drilled the G80 to 8 secs, packed a 36" chute for motor deploy and installed plugs in the open motor tubes. My pyrogen heads wouldn't fit in the G53s so I pulled the closures off, shorted the leads, inserted them into the grain directly and notified the RSO of what I was doing.

ultimatedec1.jpgultimatedec2.jpgultimatedec4.jpgultimatedec5.jpgultimatedec6.jpg

Video: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10100991801853228&set=vb.29705070&type=3

The G53s lit instantly, getting the Ultimate moving quickly. The G80 finally kicked in after a second and shifted the bird into overdrive, flying right out of the black smoke trail from the G53s. She angled into the wind a good bit and deployed well past apogee, which caused a small zipper. In my haste I failed to attach the payload section to my electronics bay, so the payload section/cone shook loose and free fell, landing undamaged. Altimeter deploy next time for sure!

I may move away from Quickdip for clusters. I've had two late ignitions using it. Back to Magnelite.

Overall it was a great launch, but I need to work on paying attention to every detail when field prepping. Advance prep is always ideal because errors can be avoided!

Attachments

• fall 2013 009.jpg
    fall 2013 009.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 81
  • fall 2013 056.jpg
    fall 2013 056.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 63
...Fast forward a couple weeks to this past Wednesday, our New Year's Day launch...Beautiful weather, lots of people and lots of flights!

This time I had both flights fully prepared minus motors. First up was the Big Brute, once again again shooting for a fully successful cable cutter dual deploy flight. I chose a G79W to try out my new 29/120 case. I noticed the load was fairly oxidized, but it came with a beefy FirstFire, and I wasn't clustering, so I loaded it up.

View attachment 158438

When the button was pressed she smoked…and smoked…chuffed and puffed, then slowly rose off the pad. I must've lost a lot of propellant because it didn't go high at all. At a pathetic 419' apogee, everything came out at once since it was below main deployment altitude. The main was tangled and only my 12" drogue was deployed... Hard landing, cracked fin. Bummer. Amongst other things, I should have assessed the oxidation on the reload. This thing is going to fly right next time even if it kills me!!

fall 2013 055.jpgView attachment 158439

The next item on the list would surely boost my spirits... My 5.38" Phoenix on a SKIDMARK CLUSTER! (1) J381SK and (2) I180SKs. 1337NS.

I got her to the pad, shorted my igniter leads and carefully inserted each one. I also loosened my motor retention screws and wrapped each lead around a screw post and cinched them down, allowing them to ride with the rocket in the event of a late ignition, although uncommon with CTI... Or so I thought.

fall 2013 003.jpg

At zero the I180's came right up with a burst of smoke and titanium sparks, blowing away the nomex blanket under the pad. The J381 finally came up about 30' up and she pulled a classic Phoenix move, taking a very sharp right, weathercocking uncomfortably down range. Just look at the picture!

I wasn't happy about that but then apogee...I see a poof but no drogue. Oh boy:eyepop::y: It started auguring in ballistic...will the mains deploy?!?!?!? YES! Thank goodness! The mains deployed at 500' (and at a nasty rate of decent) and somehow everything appeared together, albeit well beyond the trees. Time to hike...AGAIN.

phoedec1.jpgfall 2013 066.jpgfall 2013 067.jpg

Blurry video: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10100991800096748&set=vb.29705070&type=3

After an hour in the bush we find nothing. I bowed my head and headed back, thinking I had lost it, along with 3 cases and a new RRC2+. But when I get back to the flight line, it's been found by the neighbor and he brought right back to my truck! Thankfully he wasn't mad about it, it just scared the crap out of him! It was also the first time he'd had a run in with a rocket in all the years of flying out at that farm. Of course I had to do it...

It turns out I basically blew it up with my ejection charges. I tried beefier, 2g charges in new larger, longer ejection capsules, using wadding to pack down the BP. With the tight recovery packing both charges ended up horizontal and blew right out the side of the airframe!:facepalm: Thank goodness the mains made it out. What was I thinking?? I need think *everything* through! No more big flights on the Phoenix...it needs to be flown on smaller, faster burning clusters. I also may extend it to help with weather cocking and stability. That should help, right?

On a side note, I don't know why my J came up late... Maybe because it is such a long motor it takes longer to pressurize. I dunno. Check out my blurry video.

Both of these launches were excellent but they were also good learning experiences. I am always learning something new in this hobby! I need to pull the reigns back and focus on recovery in all aspects, as well as work on instantaneous ignition of all groundstart motors in clusters.

If you read it all, congrats! Haha, enjoy!

Full galleries at www.rocketrycarolina.org

Last edited:
Thanks, same to you as usual:) I enjoy taking the time!

Edit: are the videos working, esp for you non-Facebook folks? I'm experimenting with FB vids.

Thanks, same to you as usual:) I enjoy taking the time!

Edit: are the videos working, esp for you non-Facebook folks? I'm experimenting with FB vids.
I am not a Facebook user. I get a not available message.

Thanks for the launch report! Hunkering down out here to freeze my tail off, looking at maybe going over to Ohio to get some winter launches in later this year. Video worked fine for me.

Back